Labels announce that artists no longer neccesary

conwaytwitty.jpgConway Twitty has a new single, despite being deceased for more than a decade. Titled "(I Wanna Hear) A Cheatin' Song," Twitty's part in the duet with modern crooner Anita Cochran who wrote the song with the dead artist in mind.

Unlike the father and son duet of the Hanks (the deceased Hank Williams and his son Hank Jr.), or the similar duet between deceased Nat King Cole and daughter Natalie, this project featured a song the deceased 'participant' had never sang. Written a decade after Twitty's death, the label cut specific words, and at times sounds, from Twitty's master recordings and created his participation.

Read more about this at CMT

Clearly this wasn't the story title that CMT is running the same story under, but our's makes more sense. Despite the fact they asked his widow for permission, I think it sets a dangerous precedent.

very clever... though it seems a clinical way to produce music.

Wonder if it sounds convincing.... or is it evil clone stuff with no musical soul...

Occassionally, movie studios and record company's do re-releases--I think its more a rarity, and a special event, than it is a precedent of sorts... Usually, its because of some commemorative reason or by consumer request

Aye Dude, but I can't consider this a re-release since the man had never sang the song. This is closer to those mix and match jobs that were done with Bush's State of the Union. If the artist is no longer necessary to make new material, why look for new talent? They already know a bunch of popular voices to use.

Aye Dude, but I can't consider this a re-release since the man had never sang the song. If the artist is no longer necessary to make new material, why look for new talent?

Hmmm...that is scary. I didnt read the article close enough. There is one saving grace in that another artist wrote the song with his voice in mind...but...

Interesting that the RIAA and ASCAP will sue you for mixing stuff from different material, but they have no problem exploiting dead artists likeness, voice, etc, for their own ends..

Although we should all congratulate the people who managed to make this (technically speaking), this really sucks big time and also proves that proves you don't need a voice to be a singer. In fact, you don't have to be there at all.