Smarty Jones Wins Kentucky Derby

desdemona

Smarty Jones Wins Kentucky Derby

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) - Make it two in a row for the people's choice at the Kentucky Derby. Smarty Jones splashed his way past Lion Heart in the stretch and won America's premier horse race Saturday a year after Funny Cide captured the fancy of the racing world. The victory triggered the biggest payoff in the game, with the undefeated favorite earning a $5 million bonus from Oaklawn Park along with the Derby winner's share of $854,800.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04302004/news/...lnews/19928.htm

I had 2 to win on "Read The Footnotes".

Came in 7th. Oh well......

Muddy track and 18 horses. People should be glad no horses fell. Could you imagine the carnage?

Seriously, if they don't shorten the field a little, one of these years, someone is going to get hurt/killed. Every added horse after around 10 or so is an exponentially added danger.

I think 12 horses would suffice.

No more than 15 though.

it was a good race dude, he pulled away close to the finish but the jockey was also the star here, you could see the way he kept the horse right where he wanted him and didn't push him til the last few yards, the coverage was awesome, you can see so much closer now, the jockey switching sides with his stick and pushing the horse at the end with his hands, first race I've seen that close. The only Kentucky Derby I ever went too was in the 70's, Bold Forbes won that yr, we hung out in the middle, lol I still have the winning ticket, he was the favorite so it didn't pay much, but the center of the track was a partying area back then. ;) This horse has never lost a race I guess, he just looked strong through the whole race.

I didn't go to the race itself, but we always either go to a party or have a party for the Derby, so I watched it on TV here. There are 12 races on the day, all of them with excellent horses and top name jockeys. The races start at 11 A.M. and the last one ends at about 7P.M. The Derby race is the 10 th race of the day. I always try to pick a long shot for the winner...last year I was the only person at the party to bet the winner, Funny Cide, a long shot. This year I bet on Limehouse, a major longshot, and got a good run out of him. He was edged out for show (3rd place) at the end of the race. My two favorite hobbies are baseball and music, and Limehouse was by Grand Slam (father) out of Dixieland Blues (mother), so I liked that karma. Plus, there was a great old song called Limehouse Blues, but the magic wasn't there for me this time.

http://horseracing.about.com/library/bltc-limehouse.htm

http://www3.clearlight.com/~acsa/introjs.h...le/LIMEHOUS.HTM

Smarty Jones might skip Preakness :o

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) -- Kentucky Derby winner Smarty Jones has some work to do to even make it to Baltimore in two weeks for the second leg of the Triple Crown.

read more here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/more...ess.ap/?cnn=yes