Leo Laporte leaves TechTV after 10 years

I've noticed on TechTV's The Screen Savers within the last couple weeks a strange "absence" of Leo co-hosting the show. What's even weirder was his picture missing on TSS's web page.

I read on Leo's web page the reason why, and it was quite a suprise.

After nearly ten years, four owners, well over 2000 live TV shows, lots of laughs, a few tears, and meeting many many wonderful people, my time at TechTV has come to an end.

I could tell so many stories about the talented, committed, hard working, and hard partying people I've worked with there. Each and every one of them will always have a special place in my life . It was with great sadness that I walked out the studio door for the last time last night.

The reasons for my leaving are complicated. As I posted here a few weeks ago, management and I had come to a very satisfactory agreement about a new work schedule and salary, but at the last minute TechTV's outgoing owner, Vulcan Ventures, insisted that I sign away all claims against them regarding shares they had given me some years ago. I was unwilling to do so, and they held my job as hostage.

My leaving has nothing to do whatever with G4 or Comcast. In fact, I'm very sorry that I won't be around to participate in the transition. I've already contacted G4 to let them know I'd be glad to continue working at the new channel once they take over and I hope that I'll get that chance.

Fortunately I still have a great job at KFI, a sweet book contract with Que, this thriving web site, and many requests for speeches and other appearances. My family will not starve, and I will be keeping very busy no matter what happens.

Call for Help will continue on the air without me. George Crowe, Dan Mitchell, Fawn Luu, Roger Chang, Cat Schwartz, and Ian the new guy, whose last name I still can't spell, are still there working their tails off to do the best show on TechTV for the least amount of money. Nicole Guilfoyle and Rich Miglozzi are still slaving away to make the web site the best resource ever. Steve Porter, Rob D'Arcy, Bill Coen, Josh Villegas, Raevon Armand, Deb Croback, Jon Martin, Greg Tremelling, Brett, Fatty Matty, David Chung, Jim Smith and the best studio crew in the world are still there keeping things running light without overbyte. Please keep watching.

For the second time in as many weeks I find myself saying goodbye. My spirits were buoyed with the hundreds of wonderful messages I got last week. It's so gratifying to know that the work we've done has made such a big difference in so many people's lives. With apologies to Lou Gehrig, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I won't be on TV for a little while. But I do hope we'll see each other again on the small screen some day. Until then, thanks for an incredible 10 years. I'll miss you.

(from http://leo.typepad.com/tlr/2004/04/end_of_line.html)

So basically, Vulcan Ventures demanded the stock back that it gave TechTV employees back a number of years ago and pulled a underhanded trick if the person refused.

It's complete bullshit, in my opinion. :angry:

Leo was one of the very best things TechTV had, and was one of the reasons I watched The Screen Savers

It's bad enough Chris left as the host of Call For Help and now this. TechTV's quality of programming has already been going downhill and this really didn't help any.

I don't know if Comcast will be able to revive TechTV's ratings. Leo had the most fans of any TechTV personality.

Sounds like lawyers with too much time on their hands got involved. A shame to see thishappen to someone after 10 years of dedicated work..

Leo was great, I learned so much from that show. It just won't be the same without him. Bummer

Another reason big corporations suck yepFU

post-18-1081473327.jpg

Edited by MxRob