One hit wonders?

Shawn

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Candlebox!

As for Semisonic, I don't know if they're doing ANYTHING anymore... if anyone's ever heard of the Honeydogs or uhmmm... yea, they're both bands from Minneapolis. The Honeydogs still do shows and stuff but I never ever hear about Semisonic. Just wait, I'll hear something later today now that I said that.... the Minneapolis music scene prides itself on bands like Soul Asylum and the Replacements... and Prince. And some people mention some shitty rock band whose name I can't remember.

I got a honeydogs cd at the Potters house... about 3 years ago... when I was looking for some obscure records... and of course my stylish wardrobe. I thought it was pretty good ... definitely worth the 1 dollar I payed for it.. still wrapped in plastic... It's nice to finally have some background info on em. Thanks Tater.

Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street

Hollies - Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress

Cracker - Like Being Stoned

Breeders - Cannonball

Marcy Playground - Sex and Candy

Oleander - Why I'm Here

The Verve Pipe - Bittersweet Symphony

Wall of Voodoo - Mexican Radio

The Dwarves - Motherfucker

Buck-O-Nine - My Town

Sure some of them might be Top40 singles but most of the artists never really had anything else going.

Theres so many others but my mind is kinda tapped right now :wacko:

Sure some of them might be Top40 singles but most of the artists never really had anything else going.

...except Graham Nash...

...except Graham Nash...

True man I can't believe I forgot about them. I must be getting tired. I just got off a 12 hour shift and things are getting foggy. Lol

joeyz: Glad to have helped someone. :)

MxRob: I like Oleander. :P Maybe cuz one day after a show the lead singer was talking to me. I dunno. But :P

How about Los Del Rio or whatever they were called, the Macarena people? Or the band that had that song called "Blue" (blue-da-ba-dee....)? Orrrrr Natalie Imbruglia - Torn. Or that awful boy band that had the song about Summertime. Whatever it was called. LFO is the band. My roommate listens to that song a lot.

MxRob: I like Oleander. :P Maybe cuz one day after a show the lead singer was talking to me. I dunno. But :P

They were a great band. I liked them but never heard any more of their music. Time to d/l some.

Here is some more:

Crazytown- Butterfly

Dee Lite - Groove Is In The Heart

Folk Implosion - Natural One

I haven't been a member of this site very long, but when I stumbled upon this category I could not hold back. If I may...

The Hollies were NOT 1 hit wonders...Yes Long Cool woman In A Black Dress was huge but lets not forget He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother ( covered by Neil Diamond) or The Air That I Breathe...need I say more?

Starland Vocal Band was a sappy, syrupy one hit wonder band that (thankfully) had a short lived TV show that had a then unknown David Letterman as one of "extras"

Anyone remember Tobacco Road by the Nashville Teens?

Signs by The 5 Man Electrical Band (From Canada)

Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida...Iron Butterfly

Gloria...Shadows Of Knight (Them with Van Morrison did it 1st)

Ooh Child...5 Stairsteps

One Tin Soldier (Billy Jack movie theme)...Coven

Rock n Roll Part 2...Gary Glitter

Turn Up The Radio...Autograph

Cinamon...Derek (although he had an earlier hit-Mr Bass Man under the name of Johnny Cymbal...a 2 hit/one hit wonder?)

The Israelites...Dekker

Backfield In Motion...Mel & Tim

In the Year 2525...Zager & Evans...one hit wonder from Lincoln Nebraska

Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye...Steam

They're Coming to Take Me Away...Napoleon the XIV

I could go on and on...the criteria to be a one hit wonder is rather fluid. If it's determined by Billboard's Pop Top 40, then the paremeters are limited. If you include things like sales, commercials, TV, movies AND longevity then the award should go to Stormin' Norman Greenbaums "Spirit In The Sky". He's alive and somewhat well in California. Doesn't do much music anymore and he certainly isn't performing. These days he raises goats and is into organic gardening.

Ok...I'm done now. Humble apologies as I get down off my soap box.

Thanx!

:scratchin:

I quite honestly haven't heard of some of those...my bad...but sex and candy is definitely one

a catchy tune, nonetheless

Hang on Sloopy - The McCoys

Wire wire, Bird on Fire ?

Talahatchee Bridge...

Wild Thing - The Troggs

Come Together Now - ?

Ice, Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice

My memory is slowly waking up...so correct the titles and the bands...

Come Together Now - ?

Do you mean Delbert McClinton's remake of the Beatles' "Come Together"?

Come Together Now - ?

Do you mean Delbert McClinton's remake of the Beatles' "Come Together"?

Nah..Im referring to the 60s anthem.. I think it was by The Young Bloods (not to be confused with today's urban gangsters lol). The lyrics went something like this..

Come on all ye people now, come together, everybody get together right now...

One of my favorite artists, Jesse Colin Young of the Youngbloods. I saw them live in 1971. Highly recommended: Jesse's album "Light Shine" and the Youngbloods "Elephant Mountain."

http://www.beanbag1.com/jcy.html

Formed in 1965 in Boston, Massachusetts, the Youngbloods evolved from the city's thriving traditional music circuit. The band was formed by folk singers Jesse Colin Young (b. Perry Miller, 11 November 1944, New York City, New York, USA) and Jerry Corbitt (b. Tifton, Georgia, USA) who together completed a single, "My Babe", prior to the arrival of aspiring jazz drummer Joe Bauer (b. 26 September 1941, Memphis, Tennessee, USA) and guitarist/pianist Lowell Levinger III, better known simply as Banana (b. Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA). Young began playing bass when several candidates, including Felix Pappalardi and Harvey Brooks, proved incompatible, and the quartet took the name "Youngbloods" from the singer's second solo album. Having secured a residency at New York's famed Cafe Au Go Go, the band established itself as a leading folk rock-cum-good time attraction. Their debut, The Youngbloods, captures this formative era and mixes excellent original songs, including the ebullient "Grizzly Bear", with several choice cover versions. The band's reading of Dino Valenti's "Get Together" subsequently became a hit in California where it was adopted as a counter-culture anthem. The lyric: "Come on now people, smile on your brother, everybody get together, try and love one another right now", perfectly captured the mood of late-60s Californian rock music.

The Youngbloods then settled on the west coast. Elephant Mountain, their most popular album, reflected a new-found peace of mind and included several of the band's best-known songs, including "Darkness, Darkness" and "Sunlight". Jerry Corbitt had left the line-up during the early stages of recording allowing Bauer and Banana space to indulge in improvisational interludes. The Youngbloods gained complete artistic freedom with their own label, Raccoon. However releases by Bauer, Banana and Young dissipated the strengths of the parent unit, whose final releases were marred by inconsistency. A friend from the Boston days, Michael Kane, joined the band in the spring of 1971, but they split the following year when Young resumed his solo career. Banana, Bauer and Kane continued as Banana And The Bunch, but this occasional venture subsequently folded. In 1984 Levinger reappeared in the Bandits, before retiring from music to run a hang-gliding shop.

http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/youngbloodz/bio.jhtml

The band's reading of Dino Valenti's "Get Together" subsequently became a hit in California where it was adopted as a counter-culture anthem. The lyric: "Come on now people, smile on your brother, everybody get together, try and love one another right now", perfectly captured the mood of late-60s Californian rock music.

It was actually a national hit. Often used in commercials...