A Very Influential Group From The 70's And 80's

napho

Not really well remembered but they sound pretty good with alot of melodic tunes if you like hooks.

"Slade was certainly our greatest influence; not only in the crafting of rock songs but also as performers. Before Slade, no one really knew shit about how to make an audience riot. We really got off on that. There would probably never have been us without them." - Gene Simmons (Kiss)

"I spent most of the early 70s listening to Slade Alive thinking to myself, "Wow - this is what I want to do. I want to make that kind of intensity for myself." A couple of years later I found myself at CBGB's doing my best Noddy Holder." - Joey Ramone (TheRamones)

" When Slade broke in 1972, I began to get really nervous. Here I am killing myself to write the next incredible riff (and then I see) these four blokes pounding out four chords over and over and loving every minute of it. I bought all of their albums and thought maybe I wanted to join the band. (Bands like) Slade really inspired me to get back to my root of inspiration: heavy, intelligent but fun rock and roll." - Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple)

"Slade never compromised. We always had the feeling that they were on our side. I don't know but I think we were right." - Steve Jones (The Sex Pistols)

"If you notice, around 1972 I started doing much different music. I couldn't do the heavy rock thing anymore. Noddy Holder was around kicking every singer in the ass. I never wanted to be a pop singer. Christ, how I hated Noddy!" - Tom Jones

"Slade was the coolest band in England. They were the kind of guys that would push your car out of a ditch." - Alice Cooper

"Slade was never pretentious. It was just music to them. Pop, rock, soul....it was all the same to Slade. They wrote great songs. And, besides, I'd like to raid their wardrobe." - Noel Gallagher (Oasis)

"The whole punk rock thing really happened because of bands such as Slade and the like; rock bands that wouldn't back off." - Paul Weller (The Jam/The Style Council)

"Absolutely. Slade! A band that would never bend over." - Kurt Cobain (Nirvana)

"Whatever happened to bands that rocked liked Slade? Y'know, that no-bullshit, fuck you, in your face, we're bad-as-hell-and-we-know-it kind of band?" - David Coverdale (Whitesnake)

"The truth is, for this (New Musical Express) compilation (album) of cover songs, I wanted to record my version of Slade's How Does It Feel more than anything. Yet, Oasis had already chosen Cum On Feel The Noize. NME feels that too much Slade is not a good thing. Really? I had to settle for the divine Mr. David Bowie. I did my best with second best! ha!" - Roland Orzabal (Tears For Fears)

"I judge a good rock and roll 'encyclopedia' by whether or not Slade is included." - Robert Christau (enlightened and acclaimed music critic for ROLLING STONE & THE VILLAGE VOICE)

http://members.aol.com/brianr7651/Slade/indexs.html

I was in love with Jimmy Lee and Don Powell when I was 9 :wub:

They were a good fun band to grow up with. Goodbye to Jane was the first single I ever bought.... and Slade Alive was one of my first albums

Slade are still alive and kicking and doing the odd gig as far as I know...

I'm sure they still bring the house down.

• 1 month later...

a real beer drinking band...used to listen to them a lot..still going strong in slade mark 11

my favourite slade album..."slade alive", loud, raucous, noddy holders incredible vocals

"Dave Hill and Don Powell started it all back in the sixties when they were both members of the band the 'N Betweens. They first met Noddy Holder who was then touring with Steve Brett and The Mavericks, whilst on their way to Germany.

They returned to Britain and learned that the resident bassist wanted out, so they auditioned for a new bass player. Jim Lea applied for the 'job' and was taken on.

That left the band needing a lead vocalist, it was then that they met up again with Noddy who had split from the Mavericks, he joined and so the foundations for Slade had been laid.

Their first 'gig' was in the Bahamas, they were originally signed for six weeks but ended up staying for four months!. They then set about changing their name from the 'N Betweens to Ambrose Slade (they got the name from a secretery who named everything from her handbag to her pens! They chose the name of two items - 'Ambrose' and 'Slade'). It was then that they probably made the most important decision of their career - they signed Chas Chandler - ex Animals star and producer for Jimi Hendrix to be their manager. It was at this point that the skinhead look was born making them 'stick out' from the other bands around at the time. The 'Ambrose' was dropped and Slade was born!

The first album under the name Slade was Play It Loud and although sold reasonably well didn't chart.

The dilemma Slade were in was that they had a huge following for their live performances but their records didn't sell particularly well.

The answer was to re-create the atmosphere of a live performance on vinyl, so they released a live 7" version of Get Down and Get With It - the track that wound up every gig. It peaked in the UK singles chart at no:15 and lead the way for appearances on the UK TV show Top of the Pops.

The next release was Coz I Luv You, it entered the UK charts at No:26 and two weeks later was at No:1 and that's where it stayed for four weeks!

Next came the single Look Wot You Dun and in March of 1972 the album Slade Alive! was released, it was so popular it went to No:1 and stayed in the UK charts for over a year! Even to this day Slade Alive! is probably the best live album you will ever hear, really capturing that 'live' atmosphere. The next single was Take Me Bak 'Ome - another No:1 then Mama Weer All Crazee Now (No:1 once again) and finally in 1972 Gudbuy 'T Jane. A second album followed - Slayed?. By the end 1972 Slade were really gaining momentum, but the best was yet to come!

If 1972 was a good year then 1973 was to prove to be unbelievable in more ways than one.

The first single of 1973 - Cum On Feel The Noize went straight to No:1 in the UK charts YES straight to No:1, which in 70's was unheard of! Not content with that the very next single - Skweeze Me Pleeze Me did exactly the same straight into the UK charts at No:1.

Now that is an amazing feat by anybody's standards but at the end '73 Slade released Merry Xmas Everybody - result - straight into the UK charts at No:1 and the Christmas No:1 record.

Another album was released in 1973 - Sladest and yes you guessed it, it flew straight into the UK charts at No:1.

By now Slade were the hottest band of the day but as with so many other situations in life every positive has an opposite negative and there was no exception with Slade.

During 1973 Don Powell was involved in a horrific car crash that claimed the life of his fiancee and left Don in hospital. it was feared that Don would never drum again but he pulled through thankfully, 'picked up his sticks again' and carried on like the true professional he is.

Slade won countless accolades- Best Group/Best Live Band etc but never got brash, big-headed or complacent, they always remembered their roots and that stood them in good stead.

Hit after hit brought many gold and silver discs and it was inevitable that they would move on to other projects.

1974 brought another chapter to Slade's phenomonal success, they starred in a film - Slade in Flame, a story of a band who despite all the odds make the big time. Click here for more info on this fascinating film.

Slade enjoyed success right through the 1970's and to a lesser extent the 1980's. Their last album released as Slade was in 1991 appropriatly named Wall of Hits.

The Slade memory still lives on with Don and Dave touring with Slade 11, but for me the 1970's were the best and as with all die hard Slade fans I still play their music now and I still get the same feeling now as I did then and that I have been very lucky to have experienced something that was Red Hot - SLADE."

http://www.slade.onlinehome.de/

http://www.slade-weerallcrazee.co.uk/

post-7-1082633729_thumb.jpg

Edited by kiwibank

All I can recall is a song called "Run Run Away" which had a heavy edge. The video was decent although they acted a little dorky and wore bizarre hats. That and the fact of them being the originators of "Cum on feel the Noize."

:psychofun:

that black and white scribbly suit is uber ugly and the cowboy hat doesnt go with it lol

I guess this band has some fans, but when their first album came out in the 60s, I couldnt stand it. Give me the MC5, or give me Mitch Ryder's Detroit - now they could rock