Live Earth Concerts Expected To Reach Over 2 Billion People This Weekend

Organizers are predicting live broadcasts on cable television and the Internet could reach up to 2 billion people this weekend:

"THEY will come from the highest ranks of the pop aristocracy tomorrow, filling stages on seven continents. As part of Live Earth, a planetwide series of concerts meant to encourage all people to live, consume and vote eco-responsibly, they will use their fame to persuade a global audience that climate change is not only an urgent problem but one they can help solve. Madonna. The Police. The Red Hot Chili Peppers. Dave Matthews, Bon Jovi, Kanye West, Metallica. And Nunatak."

Read More, check out the Live Earth Website, the lineup, or go HERE for broadcast information.

Videos of the performances will be available during the day at Control Room to share on the web.

I wonder how many of the artists playing always use public transport? Don't own a car (and definitely not a large car or private jet)? Live in fully insulated, small houses? Do their own recycling? Recycle at all? Pull on an extra jumper instead of turning up the heating? Never holiday abroad? Use energy saving bulbs? Switch off all electrical equipment at the mains when not in use? etc. etc....

The energy use abuse will be easy to pick at. The real issue however is awareness - making the public aware - that is the purpose of the show, and what needs to be looked at in balance.

Peace is important too, but would you want Bin Laden or Bush preaching it to you?

I'd rather have John Lennon - I wouldnt listen to the above folks. I think the lineup sucks for the most part - but there are still a few bands to see - The Police, Roger Waters, Crowded House - I like the obsure world music bands myself.. As someone who is pro-environment, anything helps in my opinion. Pretty strange to see companies like Chevron being sponsors...

Exactly - the hypocrisy of this is transparent.

I seem to remember last time Police were lecturing people on driving, it was Sting telling us to buy the not-so-carbon-neutral Jaguar S-Type.

Or Madonna selling me the BMW M5:

And that is just the first two names that come up in the first post of this thread.

You're right, I should just chill and enjoy it :)

that jaguar commercial is classic--what a man of the people :)

I think the lineup sucks for the most part

Doesn't it just...

I'm presently suffering through James Blunts version of Wild World

:guns2:

Doesn't it just...

I'm presently suffering through James Blunts version of Wild World

:guns2:

he is no Cat Stevens... :(

you can see the full schedule in the Live Earth on the web thread--I will probably watch the NY channel when The Smashing Pumpkins, Roger Waters and the Police come on

Live Earth fighting concert fatigue

Saturday's 7-continent, A-list event against climate change is being met with low-grade enthusiasm. Organizers' goal is to inspire.

Exactly how often can you stage a once-in-a-lifetime event? That's the challenge Saturday for the organizers of Live Earth, the latest in a long line of huge concerts-for-a-cause. This time the issue is global warming — which is fitting considering the event isn't generating quite as much heat as hoped.

That's despite all-star lineups with such A-list rock, pop and hip-hop acts as Madonna, the Police, Justin Timberlake, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Kanye West and more than 100 others on stages in eight cities around the world, including East Rutherford, N.J.; London; Johannesburg, South Africa; and Sydney.

Read More

Live Earth fails to pack large-scale punch (In London)

It did what it said on the poster – but no more. The British leg of Live Earth started at 1.30 pm sharp with a thunderous five-minute drum fanfare by a 20-odd troupe of flailing percussionists, battering a miscellany of ethnic skinned instruments.

Led by Roger Taylor, formerly drummer with Queen, and Chad Smith of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, their SOS pattern, hammered out in morse code, was a cute way of flagging up the Live Earth message: environmental calamity ahoy. But it couldn’t disguise the problem that regularly threatened to becalm this Wembley show.

As a concert, Live Earth was not the repeat of Live Aid/Live 8 it clearly wanted to be. Unlike the events organised by the charismatic Sir Bob Geldof – upon which this one modelled itself closely, right down to its choice of name – the acts who answered the call from Al Gore’s people to play at Wembley Stadium were a bit short on superstar clout.

Read More

Arctic Monkeys:

Drummer said: "We're using enough power for 10 houses just for lighting. It'd be a bit hypocritical.

Bass player agreed: "And we're always jetting off on aeroplanes."

They didn't accept the invitation

Arctic Monkeys:

Drummer said: "We're using enough power for 10 houses just for lighting. It'd be a bit hypocritical.

Bass player agreed: "And we're always jetting off on aeroplanes."

They didn't accept the invitation

THE WHO's ROGER DALTRY has blasted the big Wembley gig Gore is organising to raise awareness of global warming.

Artistically the show was lacking...they should have gotten more contemporary acts. But Al Gore deserves credit for fighting for his convictions... I wish more people were politically and socially active. Global warming or not, no one can tell me that there isnt a lot of work to do to help clean up our environment.