Gordon Brown now Britain's PM

Malicious Intent

A few days ago, leadership of the Labour Party switched from Tony Blair to Gordon Brown, who is now Britain's PM.

In this country, Blair will be remembered for the Iraq war far more than anything else. Distant second place would probably the erosion of civil liberties, presidential style leadership or spin over substance.

The list is a pretty negative one, whatever order you put the items in the list, but seeing Gordon Brown make his speech the other day made me realise the benefits of having a strong speaker as PM. At least with Blair, you knew before any international debate which way the decision would go - Tony Blair's. I was always glad to have him as PM whenever it came to Europe. Watching Gordon nervously walk to the microphone and twiddle his thumbs made me wonder if I really want him fighting my corner.

At least he demonstrated he understood who is boss in his relationship with the public. With Tony, the talk is always about who is in power and who is leader, of which no government representative is ever either.

So, from an international perspective, how will you remember Blair?

He seemed like a Bush lackey to me...except on the environment. On the personal side, I think he was a guy who wanted to be hip, but wasnt. I don't know a thing about Gordon Brown

So, from an international perspective, how will you remember Blair?

as the preznit's puppet/lapdog and as a total failure to the people of the UK, as far as almost everything goes. i dug him when Clinton was president but since then? forget it...very very disappointing AFAIC.

BTW, my friends organised a party for Big Toe leaving, SICKNOTE/TAXI FOR MR BLAIR, rented a boat on the Thames last week; it was a huge success :lol:

Boudicca organised the entire thing (she's up in Manc):

'In 1997 Tony Blair portrayed himself as an electric guitar wielding Rock 'N' Roll Labour leader. After ten years that image has faded and all that's left is a legacy of an illegal war, a nanny state and ASBO nation. As the sun sets on the 27th June and Mr Blair bids farewell to 10 Downing St a group of artists and musicians have decided to throw a leaving party. Tony Blair will have the honour of attending this party in central London courtesy of a Cardiff band Sicknote, the Rev. D Wayne (Alabama 3) DJ set + guests.

Mr Blair has little excuse not to attend, as a taxi will be waiting for him outside Downing St to whisk him away for a night of fun and frolicks. This may be the last opportunity for Mr Blair to get down with the people and prove to "Cool Britannia" that he truly is Rock 'N' Roll.'

i so wanted to be there; those who were gave me detailed reports and as usual, a good time was had by all. :)