Most Underappreciated Bands

this very old list fell off a the back of a blog... :lol:

Most Overrated/Underrated Bands...

Classics Overrated:

1. Peter Gabriel - As of yet to encounter anyone here in ATL who thinks he deserves the playtime he gets on Z93

2. Pink Floyd - "Shine on you crazy diamond" is glorious, but just about everything else gets boring after one or two listens

3. Grateful Dead - I thought that after I smoked some weed I would understand. Apparently that failed.

4. Kiss - Never really could get into them, always thought Gene Simmons couldn't sing

5. Aerosmith - Several good songs, but I guess they appeal more to females

Classics Underrated:

1. Deep Purple - Only band I know of that could consistently change their sound and still be good. "Smoke on the Water" "Child in Time" "Hard Road (Wring that Neck)"

2. Humble Pie - Just go and listen to Smokin.' "Sweet Peace and Time" "Thiry Days in the Hole"

3. Kansas - Somewhat fruity yes, but Kerry Livgren plays guitar better than most. "Carry on My Wayward Son" "Dust in the Wind"

4. Blackfoot - Strikes was better than anything Lynyrd SKynyrd ever did. 80's stuff was heavy, but still good. "Train Train" "Road Fever" "Too Hard to Handle"

5. Foghat - Slowride is popular, but give credit to the other albums. "I Just Wanna Make Love to You" "Wide Boy"

Modern Overrated:

1. Korn - Someone told their friend Korn was cool, they told their friends, and their friends told their other friends, etc. Somehow Korn became really popular, but when you compare the music to other bands you find out it really lacks in talent and originality.

2. Tool - Sober. One song. One fuckin song. Somehow they become one of world's most popular bands, even though half the tracks on their CDs aren't actually songs! (Yes you did pay $15 for 6 songs!)

3. Pearl Jam - Very good first album. Proceeded to die quick death afterwards.

4. The Smashing Pumpkins - If only everyone could sing like a rat hit by a car, then I would poke pencils in my ears

5. Slipknot - Repeatedly try and try to find a good song of theirs that can compare to other metal bands. Repeatedly fail. See Korn also.

Modern Underrated:

1. (hed) planet earth - First time you hear it, you're just like how are they not one of the most popular bands. Very good at changing sound. "Serpent Boy" "Blackout' "Killing Time" "Bitches"

2. Sevendust - Amazing that they have not sold more albums, considering Lajon Witherspoon is the best lead singer for any hard rock in the modern era. "Licking Cream" "Angel's Son" "Bitch"

3. Avenged Sevenfold - Very good metal/punkish band on the erge. "Chapter Four" "Eternal Rest"

4. Shinedown - Might pop up big soon. Hard Rock, but not metal at all. "Fly From the Inside"

5. Powerman 5000 - Experienced big fame after TTSR! in 1999, but created best metal album of 21st century and canceled its release. Transform! followed in May 2003, but couldn't compare to Anyone for Doomsday? as record and ticket sales show. "Danger is Go!" "Transform" "The Son of x-51" "20 miles to Texas, 25 to Hell"

Koop, your new av and caption are hilarious. :lol:

so is this about old bands, new, or both? (i'm so out of it musically these days, i just listen to what people i know personally recommend and i can't even keep up w/what they send me). what kills me is seeing

15. The Johnny Burnette Trio

is this the same Johnny Burnette whom, a few years back, Alabama 3 permitted to play w/them? (and i do mean permitted, there was some fracas backstage about this). nb: he's (if it's the same dude) down near the bottom of the article linked. as well, i totally love(d) Alex Harvey, i have a pretty rare recording of SAHB w/his good friend the Very Reverend D Wayne Love headlining the gig onstage w/him.

yeah, i know, i'm fixated w/my one track mind :lol:

then again, i think Thee Hypnotics, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Underworld, Cosmic Psychos, My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult, Black Grape (and every other band of Shawn Ryder's) and on and on are pretty underappreciated, although MLWTTKK are making good money touring their heads off.

ps, this thread could go on forever and ever, out of Dude's first post, i agree that the Pogues and Sonic Youth were/are totally underappreciated. good find, Dude, ty (even if it /does/ come from RS).