George had to be put down....

Warflower

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear ya RB...my dog has pitbull in him and I do love him but HONESTLY...I don't trust him .... and I've never had a dog I didn't trust. It's sad and I would never have brought him into my house. My daughter gave it to her father for his birthday.

True enough. Pit bulls are the pinnacle of that dislike where a blue healer is at the other end.

I love dogs. I hate pit bulls.

A friend of mine got a pit puppy against many peoples advice. He had the dog only a few weeks and it mauled his 2 yr old son's face. Over 100 stitches.

I hated pit bulls before that incident and always will.

They are about as trustworthy as Kerry, Edwards, Gore, Clinton...... you know......really untrustworthy. :lol:

i just heard about this story of George ... it truly was moving ... the loyalty of an animal like this ... loyalty woefully lacking in much of humankind ...

loyalty woefully lacking in much of humankind ...

Amen. Given the fact he was a hero, I think it's inappropriate to talk about other pitbulls and their actions...this should be George's thread

Amen. Given the fact he was a hero, I think it's inappropriate to talk about other pitbulls and their actions...this should be George's thread

True enough. But most of the myths surrounding pits are 99% bullshit. And it really pisses me off sometimes.

True enough. But most of the myths surrounding pits are 99% bullshit. And it really pisses me off sometimes.

Remember the pup in the little rascals? - he was a pitbull

this has created a huge debate down here...i can tell you this...the days of the pitbull breed (and other mixed fighting dog breeds) are definitely numbered in this country...several people (including very young children) have been attacked in the streets lately by roaming packs of these dogs...for many years government in NZ hasn`t wanted to deal with this because they haven`t wanted to be seen to try to regulate dog owners/breeders...dogs are viewed as private property by many people....governments in this country have been told that they are interfering with the lives and/or rights of private individuals...this is all about to change...and about time too... i find the owners of pitbull breeds to be quite arrogant in most cases (not all for sure, but many do react badly) when they are approached over problems that may have been created by their dogs and the way that they train their dogs...some of these dogs have wreaked terrible damage on their victims and people down here are very pissed off...

......................................................................................

Dog-bite wounds a challenge to treat...

If anyone thinks dog bites are trivial injuries, Waikato Hospital plastic surgeon Winston McEwan says think again.

"I've just been working in Africa for the last six months and seen multiple crocodile bites there," he said.

"They were pretty nasty, people with crushed limbs and things, but when I was working in Christchurch I remember a small boy who got his arms caught in the jaws of a pitbull terrier and fractured both forearm bones from the bite, as well as suffering soft tissue injuries."

The worst dog-bite injuries Mr McEwan has seen were those on Auckland girl Carolina Anderson. She was mauled by a dog in 2003, and he assisted with the many operations performed on the then 7-year-old.

"A lot of wounds become infected. The injuries have to be really well washed out in the first few hours. Once the infection is got on top of, then there is the whole problem of reconstruction, or putting back what has been torn and ripped."

It is more common for adults to be bitten on limbs - legs, because of a human's height, or arm wounds, from defending themselves - whereas children were often bitten on the face.

At least one dog-bite victim a week would arrive at Waikato Hospital for treatment, Mr McEwan said.

"It's not like being hit with a hockey stick or something where there is blunt trauma. This is a penetrating wound, and the tooth can go in a long way.

"Even small puncture wounds can end up being quite big operations just because you have to cut quite widely to get to where the base of the tooth has gone."

Other injuries that have been reported as a result of dog-bites - like losing a lump of tissue - were unusual because most dog-bite victims had grabbing and tearing injuries, Mr McEwan said.

"With most people, where there has been a wound you will end up with a scar, but through plastic surgery we can carefully hide the scar as much as possible.

"It is possible to get people looking reasonably normal, but you can never quite get back to the original."

Dog owners 'feed pitbulls amphetamines...'

Owners of already fierce dogs sometimes give them methamphetamine to make them more aggressive, an animal controller says.

Stratford animal control officer Kieran Best said he had heard of P, as the drug is known, being fed to pitbulls, making them very unpredictable.

Mr Best told the Taranaki Daily News he had not encountered this problem himself, but had "heard about it from drug squad police at conferences."

"The pitbulls I've had dealings with are naturally aggressive because of the type of people they are with," he said.

"They keep pitbulls around because they don't like visitors and one can only presume they have something to hide -- that they are into crime and drugs.

"They are paranoid about officials visiting and the dog emulates the owner."

The comments come after a dog attack in the region on Sunday when two pitbulls rushed at children walking to a dairy in Manaia.

The children were accompanied by George, a nine-year-old Jack Russell terrier. When the pitbulls rushed at the group, aiming for a four-year-old boy, George started barking and rushed at the pitbulls as the children ran away.

George's owner, 69-year-old Alan Gay, said the pitbulls savaged George until a passing motorist intervened and managed to separate the dogs.

George was later put down because of his injuries.

While there was no suggestion the Manaia dogs were on "P", an armed policewoman was present as they were cornered and loaded into a dog van. The dogs are to be destroyed today.

source:NZPA

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/feature/story.cf...jectid=10436697

post-193-1178228306.jpg

I have a similar mindset to Red on this for the same reason.

If it makes you feel better Joe I remember a guy in a town I used to live in that had his lion taken away. It hadn't hurt anyone, so that particular lion was okay, but I wouldn't let one near my kids.

i can't handle stories like this, i can't even handle reading the comments (once i realised it wasn't our georgie boy-prez). scrolling down, i can't even handle the pics. just sayin'. :(

That's what my friend said before the dog disfigured his son's (Brian) face for life. He said they were only vicious because of the way they were treated growing up. So he got a Pit Bull puppy and treated it like house dog. The toddler wanted a puppy. Macho dad had to have a pit bull. The police took the dog and had it put to sleep. Brian has a disfigured face forever. I said it twice. Here is number 3: Brian has a disfigured face forever.

That's also what my mom's friend, Ann, said. She is an animal nut. She had 3 weenie dogs, a pot belly pig, birds, fish and I don't even know what all. She had another couple of mutt dogs too. She got a Pit Bull puppy. After the dog grew a little and chewed on one of her other dogs the Vet that patched her dog up told her to get rid of the Pit Bull. Instead she kept the 2 dogs apart. A few weeks later she came in the house a found that the Pit had mauled her 14 yr old very docile little weenie dog, Lucky. She took Lucky to the Vet where he died a short while later. She went home and got the Pit, returned to Vet's office and the Vet put him to sleep.

As old as I am those are the only 2 people I have ever personally known that had Pit Bulls. There may be thousands of good ones but I personally know of only 2 and they are 0 for 2.

How about a Rotweiller (spelling?) story. I have never personally known anybody that had one.......but.........a guy that lived about a half a mile from me raised them for money. They were constantly getting out. One night a male and a female showed up at my house. The male attacked my son's little dog with me yelling at the dog from about 15 feet away. He ignored the shit out me. I quickly surmised that my son's dog was going to be killed so I shot the fucking Rot with a 12 gauge shotgun. 2 or 3 days later the man sent his son (Rusty was his name and about 3 or 4 yrs old) into the back yard to play. 2 of his piece of shit dogs were already out of their pens and running around the back yard but he didn't notice or check. The dogs killed Rusty before dad could get outside. Dick Head Dad didn't raise vicious dogs or train them to be vicious. He was just in the business of breeding the dogs and selling puppies. Rusty is DEAD. Rusty is DEAD.

All the parents of the kids in those pictures should be arrested for child endangerment and the kids placed in foster care. Those kids don't give a damn about having a Pit Bull. They want a dog. It's the parents that want a Pit Bull. Most of the Pits are ok. Why take the chance? How many horror stories do you hear where the culprit is a weenie dog, poodle, beagle or whatever? The Pit and Rot stories are far too common.

I'd just as soon have an alligator or a bobcat for a pet. I'd also just as soon shoot a Rot or a Pit as I would a burglar wearing a "vote for Hillary" t-shirt. In fact, I told my wife after Rusty got killed that I regretted the Hell out of not killing the female Rot when I killed the male and that I would never make that mistake again. If she ever saw another "99% bullshit myth" type vicious dog around our house to let me know and don't call animal control so I could kill the turd. As I go places and occasionally see those dogs fenced in or on a leash or whatever, I can imagine the dog is thinking, "If it wasn't for this fence I would have me a bite. I wish I could get past this fence." And since I am always carrying a 45 with armor piercing ammo I am always thinking, "I hope that fucking dog's wish comes true".

It sounds like Pitbulls need special care - not smart to mix them with other animals or kids just to be safe. In other words, its safer to be a sheep than a houndog in your neck of the woods, huh Red :lol: