BitTorrent Client List

Ken

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BitTornado and G3 Torrent have updated. I just started noticing BitSpirit's updates, which they keep hidden in their forums and not on their website (I know to look there now).

I also did a lot of order reshuffling.

• 4 weeks later...

It all depends on your internet connection.

If you're on a dial-up connection, it’s probably not even worth it to get involved in P2P, or at the very least, you might want to stick to other networks that are more accommodating to dial-up. I would recommend Ares for that.

Now, if you have a broadband connection, let's move on......

First, my favorite client thus far is Azureus, but I find TorrenTopia to be a nice "simplistic" client.

Now, if you already know the upstream and downstream speeds of your internet connection (upload speed/download speed), set the upstream limit in the client of your choice to 80% of your total upstream speed.

Say my upstream speed was 128 kbps (kilobits per second), I’d set mine to 102, which is approximately equal to 80% of 128 kbps (equal to 16 KB/s), which is the "sweet spot" so to speak.

Now, if the client asks for the measurement in kb/s (or KB/s, etc,) which is "kilobytes per second", then I recommend this nifty little tool

http://www.matisse.net/mcgi-bin/bits.cgi

It'll convert between kilobits per second and kilobytes per second.

I know Azureus uses kilobytes per second (and kilobytes per second will be a smaller number than kilobits per second).

Which measurement the client is using can be confusing. If you're still not sure, ask in a forum dedicated to that client, or even send an e-mail to them. They'll tell you, and maybe they'll get the hint that they need to label better.

Now, if you DON’T know your upstream and downstream speeds, use this site and it should tell you.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

Now, if this doesn't help, perhaps it's the torrent that's the problem. Not enough people in the swarm, no complete copies, the other people's connections are already stretched to their limits.

If that's the case, there isn't anything you can do but wait, or if the torrent has no complete copies, then you may be out of luck.

the only problem is that bitcomet slows down Internet explorer, and msn messenger alot and i used to use shareaza and it gave me a better speed and didn't slow down my pc at all and i was hoping you could tell me which program is the best and fastest to use and plz make it a quik statement

plz make it a quik statement

lol - if you ask ken a question, you are going to get a good answer, not somthing that can easily summed up in a sentence. he is one hell of a resource

There is no quick statement.

If you need actual assistance, and not fantasy land answers, let me know. I might be able to recommend something. With most things in life, you get from something only what effort you are willing to put in. If you want to engage in P2P, you need to accept information.

the only problem is that bitcomet slows down Internet explorer, and msn messenger alot

Here is a prime example of why I can't just give you a one word answer. When you say it "slows down" these programs, do you mean the operation of the program (window lag, response time), or that the speeds in which pages load within IE and the time it takes to communicate using WM (which is evil, and a security risk/spam inviter) are slow?

In the first instance, it's system resources being taxed (basically your computer can't handle what you're doing - too many programs running, etc.., your operating system, ex: Windows is fucked up, etc....). In the other instance, you're simply maxing out your connection, and you need to follow certain bandwidth controlling procedures to actually get things to work to your satisfaction (I listed things to try specifically for BitTorrent in my previous post).

Remember, you have to want this. It's up to you to accept information and to use it.

Also, if your primary goal is to just "download stuff", you may want to know I don't respect that. Now you may ask yourself "why don't you repect that Ken?".

My answer is this..........

If you're going to connect to a P2P network, the whole point is that users (just like yourself, in that instance) are the people who provide the content (music, movies, games, everything). If all you're doing is "downloading" and not caring about uploading or are too concerned about the legality and are not uploading because of that, then in my opinion, you don't belong on the network. I don't feel safe about uploading the more popular copyrighted content (especially music) on public P2P networks, and therefore I don't participate or at the very least, I only download content I feel comfortable sharing and then I do indeed take the time to share it.

It's called FileSharing for a reason.

If you're willing to download something from a P2P network, you must be willing to share it. And to operate a P2P program in this instance, you need information and time. I'm trying to give you information, all you need is time effort.

Ok, so the first thing you should do is read over my previous post about BitTorrent and bandwidth settings for your BitTorrent client, and then edit those settings by inputting the appropriate values.

i don't really care about whats with the program i just need to know which program is good alows me to search and has a good download speed and it doesn't mess with my other programs

This is the most important part........NO BITTORRENT CLIENT WILL GIVE YOU THE BEST POSSIBLE SPEEDS WITHOUT YOU FIRST OPTIMIZING THE BANDWIDTH SETTINGS. Yes, they will have a few popular "preset" upload/download settings, but you wont even know if those will work for you unless you know information about your internet connection. Besides, even if it does match, you still want only 80% of your total upload speed as the max value for upload speed in your BitTorrent client. So the presets are useless to you.

You can't just download, install, and go and expect it to perform as best as it could. This optimizing of your settings is all related to this. I've beat around the bush long enough. If you want your BitTorrent client to perform better, follow my bandwidth recommendations; that's what it's going to take.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I'll try to break things down for you as much as possible and i'll try to be as simplistic as I can, but don't expect a "quik" (it's called "quick") statement.

windows XP 850mhz

Also, a little side note.

We're talking about a BitTorrent client program for using the BitTorrent P2P protocol/network.

Now, telling me about your operating system (Windows XP) is of little importance; telling me about your processor speed (850 mHz), especially since you're able to run Windows XP anyway, is of no importance or relevance at all to using something related to P2P.

In the future, if you ask someone for advice like this, provide them with the speed of your internet connection. This means, tell them what type of connection (cable, DSL, 56k, 64k ISDN, etc...) and also what your upload and download speeds are specifically (for a 56k modem, it's self explanatory, but for a cable or DSL line, it varies).

After that, tell them if you're behind a firewall or router, or if you know that your ISP is blocking ports and or something of that nature. This will help them determine where a potential problem could lie.

Next you'll want make sure your system is relatively clean of spyware and adware, as that can potentially slow down your system and tax your internet connection.

Another important factor is RAM. Tell them how much RAM you have and if you've ever tested your RAM to see if there were any problems. There are free Memory test programs floating around all over the internet (try doing a google search). The creator of BitTornado strongly recommends you check your RAM.

At long last, you may give them your processor speed, etc (like you mentioned 850 mHz) but that'll only be relevant if you have a really slow system (which wouldn't be important in your case, as you run Windows XP at 850 mHz)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm using bitcomet and I look at the download and upload speed, and its downlaoding at like 5kbs and uplaoding at 50kbs so i need some help, i want a program that will let me download and hold up the upload untill what im downlaoding finishes

can you plz help me

• 2 weeks later...
i want a program that will let me download and hold up the upload untill what im downlaoding finishes

That is not how the entire BitTorrent process and community works.

Its fair and proportional; upstream and downstream are joined at the hip.

By having the right swarm environment and by having your settings tweaked you will achieve the optimal BitTorrent has to offer (which may or may not be what YOU want specifically).

In any event, take it or leave it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys

What is a good bit torrent client that can be run from a disk ie, I cannot install anything on the computer I will be using.

Also, how secure is bit torrent, ie, if I am downloading something can the contents be realised easily?

any information on this please do not hesitate to email me on [email protected]

Thanks

Gib Sandwich

Edited by Gib Sandwich

• 2 weeks later...

If you can't install anything, I wouldn't imagine you could download files to that disk either (roughly the same action anyway). This means your downloaded files would have to be sent to the floppy disk. (on a 1.44 MB floppy? No way).

I wouldn't imagine it would be "doable".

Besides, I don't think there is a BT Client in existence that could fit on a floppy (3 1/2 1.44 MB).

Now, if you're talking a ZIP drive, well, you might be able to.

• 2 months later...