James Brown, the Godfather of Soul, R.I.P

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you mean Kiwi but this is one thing that no one can debate. James Brown WAS the king of funk

End of story :P

sorry mate..it`s not the end of the story....you can`t just shut people down like that method....this is supposed to be an open and democratic public forum...i`ve heard many artists (some of them white too) WITH A LOT MORE FUNK in their SOUL than JAMES BROWN...no mate...it`s the start of a new debate as i said before... :) :)

sorry mate..it`s not the end of the story....you can`t just shut people down like that method....this is supposed to be an open and democratic public forum...i`ve heard many artists (some of them white too) WITH A LOT MORE FUNK in their SOUL than JAMES BROWN...no mate...it`s the start of a new debate as i said before... :) :)

I think you misinterpreted him, Kiwi--he wasn't shutting you down, he was simply saying what is for the most part universally accepted--James Brown was the King of Funk. Others have made contributions--George Clinton, Prince, the Isley Bros--but James Brown is to funk what Chuck Berry was to rock and roll. Who else would you nominate?

rick james the true king of funk for one....isaac hayes for another..k.c of k.c and the sunshine band...sly stone.... :)

average white band, brian augur, etc

but james brown was the forerunner...without him, i doubt you would have any of the others...(ps i wouldnt put kc and the sunshine band on the list)

I loves the debate!

I read a rolling stone article recently where the writer got to go in the studio during a recording session. The whole process was tightly controlled by James Brown, and he went against the grain of playing on key or in tune. He WANTED the music to sound off, to sound grimy, dirty, filthy.... funky.

Then there is Jimi. Maybe not the BEST guitarest ever, but he innovated styles and distortion methods which wer e not used before, but have been used ever since.

I guess it depends on how you define influence. Someone who everyone recalls and name-drops, or someone who genuinely contributed something to music which will continue on.

oblgatory link whorin' HE GOT SOUL AND HE'S SUPER DEAD

don't take things so seriously kiwi dude. That's the reason I put this---> :P :D

In Godfather, Soul and CEO of his Band, the NYTimes explores just what James Brown did do:

What did James Brown do?

Even now, half a century after the release of his first single, “Please Please Please,” and days after his death of congestive heart failure, at 73, early on Christmas morning, that’s a surprisingly difficult question to answer.

Read More

post-9-1167240122_thumb.jpg

Here's a response to your blog Slum.

can't even think of an appropriate wife-beating joke. AFAIC, he's still got soul and he's still super dead. :(

Stars pay tribute to James Brown - 'He was the Bach of soul music' says friend

Friends and contemporaries of James Brown have paid tribute to the singer who died earlier today (December 25). As previously reported the "Godfather Of Soul" passed away in Atlanta, Georgia this morning after suffering from pneumonia.

Speaking after his death, rock n roll pioneer Little Richard praised Brown's impact and influence as a musician.

Read more at NME

Bag of Songs offers up some of James Brown's best work:

MP3: Please, Please, Please

MP3: Tell Me What I Did Wrong

MP3: I'll Go Crazy

MP3: Think

MP3: Night Train

MP3: Out Of Sight

MP3: It's A Man's World

MP3: I Got You

MP3: Papa's Got A Brand New Bag Pts 1,2,3

MP3: Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose

MP3: Licking Stick-Licking Stick

MP3: Say It Loud, I'm Black And I'm Proud Pt 1

MP3: There Was A Time

MP3: Cold Sweat

MP3: I Got The Feelin'

MP3: I Can't Stand Myself(When You Touch Me)

MP3: Hot Pants

MP3: King Heroin

MP3: Make It Funky

MP3: Super Bad

MP3: Get Up, Get Into It And Get Involved

MP3: Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine

MP3: Mother Popcorn

MP3: Funky Drummer

MP3: Get Up Offa That Thing

MP3: Get On The Good Foot

MP3: Hot (I Need To Be Loved, Loved, Loved)

MP3: Doing It To Death

MP3: Stone To The Bone

MP3: There It Is

NEW YORK (AP) - A white, horse-drawn carriage carried the body of music legend James Brown through the streets of Harlem on Thursday to the Apollo Theater, where a sea of people waited to say farewell to the "Godfather of Soul."

Friends and fans walked behind the caisson in the street, singing the chorus of Brown's anthem, "Say it Loud - I'm Black and I'm Proud."

Just like when Brown was alive, the raucous throng of thousands cheered and applauded as pallbearers lifted his gold casket and carried it inside, for Brown, who died of heart failure Christmas morning, to lie in repose on the stage where he made his 1956 debut.

Read More

post-9-1167370435_thumb.jpg

post-9-1167370453.jpg