What's your favorite version of what and why?

Shawn

Here's what I mean. The Band does a version of "The night they drove old Dixie down". It's not as well-known as Joan Baez's song perhaps but is so wonderfully emotional and off-beat that it shames her version.

Another example, Hurt by Johnny Cash. It's a NIN song and has been covered by others but Johnny owned that song. It's freakish that anyone else had the nerve to record it first. It was meant for Johnny Cash at that stage of his life.

Any such ideas from you swell kids?

BTW - I'm torn on who does the best version of American Woman.

"Because The Night"

Written By Bruce Springsteen. But Patti Smith blows him away.

:thumbsup:

Take me now baby here as I am

Pull me close, try and understand

Desire is hunger is the fire I breathe

Love is a banquet on which we feed

Come on now try and understand

The way I feel when Im in your hands

Take my hand come undercover

They cant hurt you now,

Cant hurt you now, cant hurt you now

Because the night belongs to lovers

Because the night belongs to lust

Because the night belongs to lovers

Because the night belongs to us

Have I doubt when Im alone

Love is a ring, the telephone

Love is an angel disguised as lust

Here in our bed until the morning comes

Come on now try and understand

The way I feel under your command

Take my hand as the sun descends

They cant touch you now,

Cant touch you now, cant touch you now

Because the night belongs to lovers ...

With love we sleep

With doubt the vicious circle

Turn and burns

Without you I cannot live

Forgive, the yearning burning

I believe its time, too real to feel

So touch me now, touch me now, touch me now

Because the night belongs to lovers ...

Because tonight there are two lovers

If we believe in the night we trust

Because tonight there are two lovers ...

Here's what I mean. The Band does a version of "The night they drove old Dixie down". It's not as well-known as Joan Baez's song perhaps but is so wonderfully emotional and off-beat that it shames her version.

Another example, Hurt by Johnny Cash. It's a NIN song and has been covered by others but Johnny owned that song. It's freakish that anyone else had the nerve to record it first. It was meant for Johnny Cash at that stage of his life.

Any such ideas from you swell kids?

BTW - I'm torn on who does the best version of American Woman.

lenny kravitz.... :)

some came to mind and always my opinion....

Patti Smith's version of 'When Doves Cry' is better than Prince's

Neneh Cherry has a better version of 'Sweet Child O' Mine' than Guns n' Roses

'Wishing On A Star' is done beautifully by Paul Weller

Stevie Ray Vaugh plays 'Voodoo Child' better than Jimi (although both versions are similar) but Jimi Hendrix's version of Bob Dylan's ‘All Along the Watchtower’ is better

‘My Way’ by Sid Vicious is awesome

I can think of many rock versions done by electro artists that sound way better than the original IMO like 'Stairway to Heaven' but I can't remember electro names

I can think of many rock versions done by electro artists that sound way better than the original IMO like 'Stairway to Heaven' but I can't remember electro names

As if man. I need names for that example.

Stairway is the greatest song ever used by Notorious D to beat back the shiny demon. linkee for song

Electro artists can take a song and make it practically perfect. 'Sure Thing' which contains parts from “Harry's Philosophy” (Miles Davis and John Lee Hooker) is one of my favorite tracks of all time done by St Germain (Ludovic Navarre).

Massive Ataack's version of 'Be Thankful for What You've Got' is William DeVaughn's but they made it famous and sounds much better.

Those were some examples for Shawn

"HIT THE ROAD JACK"...the ol` RAY CHARLES version is OK....BUT LESLIE WEST does it BEST.... :) :)

holy shit---that's Leslie West these days? OMG! (used to live down the road from him in woodstock ny).

‘My Way’ by Sid Vicious is awesome

oh yes, most definitely. think i've said it here or there before, but i DEFINITELY want this played at my after-cremation party w/whomever's left alive of my friends.

personally, i love Alabama 3's many versions of John Prine's Speed of the Sound of Loneliness, here's just one.

"HIT THE ROAD JACK"...the ol` RAY CHARLES version is OK....BUT LESLIE WEST does it BEST.... :) :)

I always dug the Buster Poindexter version... for comedic value at a minumum.

Then... there was hometown hero Sam Kinnison and his version of Wild Thing.

I'm liking Disturbed's cover of Land of Confusion (even though their video doesn't have the sptittin' image puppets)... as well as Nonpoint's In the Air tonight.

I'm liking Disturbed's cover of Land of Confusion (even though their video doesn't have the sptittin' image puppets)... as well as Nonpoint's In the Air tonight.

Nonpoint..."In The Air Tonight" is a Phil Collins cover, and a personal favorite. All the creepiness of the original is included in this cover, but Nonpoint create their own twist to this song by adding tribal drums. There are a couple of riffs in this song, but Elias' catchy voice sings clearly. This whole song has an Ill Nino type of feel to it."

source:Amazon

..interesting indeed E.C...i`ll check this out... :) :)

post-193-1164062523_thumb.jpg

ive said it before and ill say it again, i really like disturbed's covers of Shout and Land of Confusion

actually..now i thnk of it.... my favourite version of "american woman" is by KROKUS..a real screamer...very cool... :thumbsup:

I am rather partial to the Butthole Surfer's version of American Woman, myself. They own that song.

Some other good covers...

Kyuss' cover of Black Sabbath's Into The Void

Fear Factory's cover of Gary Numan's Cars (with Gary Numan)

Carnivore's cover of Jimi Hendrix's Manic Depression

Brad Meldhau's cover of Radiohead's Paranoid Android

Superdrag's cover of The Pixies Wave Of Mutilation

Devo's cover of the Rolling Stone's Satisfaction

Jerry Garcia's cover of Bob Dylan's Knockin On Heaven's Door

Emerson, Lake & Palmer's cover of Mussogsky's Pictures At An Exhibition

"video killed the radio star" originally by buggles..glenn hughes does a great version of this 80`s video hit on an album called "roads of destiny" he recorded with geoff downes who was with the 80`s supergroup Asia... :) :thumbsup:

post-193-1164164228_thumb.jpg

post-193-1164164239_thumb.jpg