Bush Ads Use World Trade Center Imagery

Kooperman

Bush Ads Use World Trade Center Imagery

Wed Mar 3, 7:38 PM ET

By LIZ SIDOTI, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - With a huge $10.5 million downpayment, President Bush (news - web sites)'s re-election committee rolled out its first campaign commercials on Wednesday, using images of the destroyed World Trade Center to claim "steady leadership in times of change."

For the rest of the srticle, go here:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...political_ads_6

I've always thought Bush was a moron. I was wrong. He's much more sinister than your average harmless buffoon!

nah, i think he's still a moron but sinister cause he has all his dad's friends to tell him what to do. kinda like an evil handpuppet, y'know? but handpuppets have more brains.

I support him in using the 9/11 reference. It is part of our history and he was in our nations leader during it. I feel he responded promptly after 9/11 and any other president would have done the same thing. You still have your freedom. Peace

Here is Mayor Giuliani's response:

"September 11th is the defining event of our times. This was a shared experience that the American people have all been through together. The war that the terrorists began on September 11th continues today.

"President Bush has provided the steady, consistent and principled leadership to bring our country through the worst attack in our history. His leadership on that day is central to his record, and his continued leadership is critical to our ultimate success against world terrorism."

Source: http://www.georgewbush.com/News/Read.aspx?ID=2294

and another

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/03....giuliani.bush/

Rudy the Republican's view is not shared by many families who lost loved ones in the tragedy, nor is it shared by all the firefighter's unions who lost so many friends and fellow workers in the collapse. None of them stand to be a part of the 2004 Bush administration, should he win, as Rudy Giuliani does. If Dick Cheney should either not choose to return as vice-president or should he have to step down because of health reasons, Rudy Giuliani is widely considered to be the top choice as his replacement. So I wonder why Rudy would support the insensitivity of the Bush campaign ads?

The clamor over the ads will continue today when one group of 9/11 families assembles at Ground Zero to demand that Bush pull the commercials.

The September 11th Families for Peaceful Tomorrows quoted Bush saying on Jan. 23, "I have no ambition whatsoever to use [9/11] as a political issue." The dovish group also has opposed the Iraq war.

Some Bush supporters conceded the Ground Zero footage, particularly a fleeting glimpse of flag-draped remains being removed from the wreckage, may have been a political miscue.

The campaign "could have just used the building," said one Republican, referring to a shot of the scarred facade of one of the twin towers.

Another local Republican official was harsher, saying the Bush camp misjudged the local impact.

"They messed it up," the source said.

A GOP congressional source said, "It's an early warning to Republicans that it's a risk to be using 9/11 images. ... If there's a backlash because of it, it does more to hurt than to help."

Several GOP sources said Team Bush had been warned about the need to tread carefully with Ground Zero images and should have tested the ads with New York focus groups to check for possible trouble.

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/170691p-148894c.html