I'm losing faith

Malicious Intent

I used to love Coca-Cola. My money would not only buy me a can of sweet drink, but a bit of coolness, a bit of youth culture, even a little bit of America. I used to look to the company to provide christmas adverts and later to the directors for everything that I want to become. My opinion of the company is going down hill.

Check it out:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3523303.stm

Apparently the drink was launched in 1999 in the US. Do any yanks here drink it? And to my fellow geographic citizens - are you going to?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soft drink is purified tap water

Soft drink giant Coca-Cola has admitted it is selling purified tap water in a bottle.

It says the source for its new Dasani bottled water is the mains supply at its factory in Kent.

The company says Dasani is "as pure as bottled water gets" due to a "highly sophisticated purification process".

But the UK water industry is worried that the marketing of the product implies tap water is impure, which experts say is not the case.

'Reverse osmosis'

Coca-Cola is investing £7m in launching Dasani, which has become the second most popular bottled water in the US following its launch there in 1999.

Marketing for the product says it goes through four stages of production before it is bottled, starting with being passed through three separate filters.

Coca-Cola says "reverse osmosis", "a technique perfected by Nasa to purify fluids on spacecraft", is then used to filter the water further before minerals are added to "enhance the pure taste".

Finally, "ozone" is injected to keep the water sterile, the company says.

But water industry representatives say consumers do not need to buy Dasani to get "excellent quality, healthy water".

'Tap water pure'

Barrie Clarke, spokesman for suppliers' representative Water UK, said: "We don't think there are any impurities in tap water.

"If people like the bottle, the convenience, the style, then fine, but I don't think that is the way they are marketing this product.

"Tap water is pure, and that's the opinion of the drinking water inspectorate, which carries out three million checks a year."

Judith Snyder, brand PR manager for Dasani, confirmed "municipal" water supplies were used but said the source was "irrelevant" because it "doesn't affect the end result".

She said: "We would never say tap water isn't drinkable.

"It's just that Dasani is as pure as water can get - there are different levels of purity."

Research published on Wednesday shows that UK consumers drank more then two billion litres of water in 2003 - up 18% on 2002.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And to top it off, at mycokemusic.com, they are trying to charge 99p per track. How can that be right? It is only 99c at iTunes and Napster! I guess these high prices are a symbol of why the BPI say they arn't suing.

I always prefered Pepsi.... but any of those sweet soft drinks are worth avoiding. Including those fancy water drinks. A lot of them are sweetened with aspartame which is probably carcinogenic.

I drink the tap water.

In my area, the water treatment is excellent (2 methods are used), and the water tastes pretty damn good (better than any bottled water i've ever tasted, though this could just be familiarity).

Though, like Koop, if i'm somewhere, maybe i'll buy a bottle, and after it's empty, viola!

It's a new container for tap water.

I could never abide by the idea of paying for water.

My wife will though, but not Dasani. She says it was a gritty taste, like it has dirt particles in it.

:wha':

I will buy water on occasions. Most of the time the cheapest. I usually go to CostCo and buy a 18-35 pack. Sometimes Kirkland, sometimes Arrowhead. I've kinda been after spring water lately. Purified drinking water just tastes so bland. I will be most likeyl avoiding Dasani from this point. I'm more of a Pepsi guy anyways.

:psychofun: