BK's Neighborhood Pictures

Warflower

Seriously, your neighorhoods are gorgeous. Dude...those HOUSES.

I live 3-4 blocks from Hancock park:

Hancock Park is approximately 2.2 square miles and consists of about 1,200 homes. ... Architects such as Paul Williams, A. C. Chisholm and John Austin were hired to design homes for many of the city's pioneer families. The list of families who moved into Hancock Park's first homes reads like a "Who's Who" of California: Doheny, Chandler, Huntington, Van Nuys, Crocker, Banning, Newmark, Van de Kamp and Duque, were some of the early residents. After a 1948 Supreme Court decision barring the enforcement of racial provisions in restrictive covenants, popular jazz pianist and singer Nat King Cole purchased a house in Hancock Park

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could live in that pad in the lower left corner :)

yes...yes you could. :) so when ya coming over? actually the entire house used to be for one family before they divided it into flats in the early 1900s. my LR is the ex-parlor w/the huge windows.

You can upload your pics by getting a chord that feeds from your camera to your mac...I've done it with film footage and stills

are you kidding me? w/o Chris here, i'm fucking technically hopeless (and my USB thingies are all full cause of my mic, my Palm, my speakers, flatscreen &c). hahahaha, before he moved to London, he put these kitty protectors around all the fucking wires (made more complex w/shitloads of wires and THREE power surge protector things) cause some of my shit is German, some American and some Brit). anyway, then i Hunter-proofed my desk cause Crackass loves to climb under and bite the wires, pulling most of them out. i put cardboard pieces cut out and wedged them in so he can't get under.

he did last night. crackass. :lol:

ps, the only way i get around the photos problem is by sending to people here who have camera-phones (Chris doesn't), they upload to their machines and send them back as mail attachments. this bothers me, of course.

Kielbasa and pierogis...I got your address! I'll send you some overnight! Winsky's has THE BEST kielbasa...yummy yum and Maria makes her own pierogi (she's on Meserole).

Slum: us Greenpointers make fun of the hipsters on the "other side"...LOLLLLL We call them trust fund babies. The walls in those clubs ooze of pretentiousness but it's all good, I still have a blast when I go out ;) I just like talking to people and they are literally from all over the world...just never know who you'll meet over there. I would love to walk around your neighborhood too slum...wow I'm so into that Old World charm. :wub: Hunter's adorable...loves the sink huh...does he drink from the faucet? lol

Dude...my brother in law would have a field day in your neighborhood, he's a architectural enthusiast. :)

Edited by Warflower

Kielbasa and pierogis...I got your address! I'll send you some overnight! Winsky's has THE BEST kielbasa...yummy yum and Maria makes her own pierogi (she's on Meserole).

i think this one place was on Greenpoint (duh me for forgetting)...but yeah! send me food! i'm fucking dying here. lol

Slum: us Greenpointers make fun of the hipsters on the "other side"...LOLLLLL We call them trust fund babies.

yep...just what i remembered. 's funny--in 2000 Chris and i had totally dif definitions of 'hipster' (i always thought of them as like at least in their 40s...NUH uh, lol

The walls in those clubs ooze of pretentiousness but it's all good, I still have a blast when I go out ;) I just like talking to people and they are literally from all over the world...just never know who you'll meet over there. I would love to walk around your neighborhood too slum...wow I'm so into that Old World charm. :wub: Hunter's adorable...loves the sink huh...does he drink from the faucet? lol

yeah, old world charm---i'm such a sucker for that (people here laugh their asses off but i don't care). crackass drinks from the faucets, jumps in the tub w/me...drinks from my juice AND my vodka or absinthe...it's a laugh a minute around here, lol

holy shit, you weren't kidding? yep, i'm here...whoa, just remembered those cookies you sent a coupla years ago.

'mmmmmm...th' pig--it wuz goooo-ooood' *smek smek smek*

shit, i meant THOSE COOKIES WERE DELICIOUS!

WF i'm drooling already...actually disgusting but the truth, lol. thank you in advance. :)

hahhahaa slum.

Listen...your package won't get there overnight (this is what I'm told)...so just be on the lookout. The stuff shouldn't go bad in a couple of days. IT's smoked meat and Polish donuts (punski) and the pierogis are wrapped tight...should be ok. :thumbsup:

Enjoy mamma. :wub:

ok...here's some pics of my neck of the woods

First, Providence. The big city of the biggest little.

From the air.

6-7271.jpg

Downtown, on the river, and the old Industrial National "Superman" building.

img_1273-lg.jpg...89c0e668-93dc-4696-971a-258291ecf148.jpg

The "Big Blue Bug," a Rt. 95 icon.

Below. Some pics of downtown taken during Waterfire, this thing they do with fireirons set in the Providence River.

img_0524-lg.jpg

img_0527-lg.jpg

img_0528-lg.jpg

The State House. 4th largest unsupported dome in the world...

RI%20State%20House.jpg

We used to live in Providence. Now we live in Coventry.

Coventry.gif

Here is our backyard...Lake Tiogue. We live on the left of the road, on the part of the pond where the river feeds into it.

6-5355.jpg

No, i didn't take them. Someone with a WAY better camera than me took those, especially those waterfire pics. But there's some nice stuff in Providence...

Here's Benefit Street, on the East Side. Some really nice 18th Century Georgian & 19th Century Federal/Greek/Victorians through all of that part of town. Also some other random pics from the East Side...

54721773.CRW_2665_01.jpg

providence_pic_11.JPGBenefit-4-02.jpg

Brown University.

B&Hspring2.gifbrown-university-providence-ri046.jpg

Brown-5-02.jpgbrown1.jpg

Wickendon Street, under the 195 overpass.

218_1828.jpg

John Brown House/RI Historical Society (1786)

providence_pic_12.JPG

Thayer Street, near Brown University

Thayer2-2003.jpg

Federal Hill (the "Little Italy" of Providence, and former organized crime capitol of the Northeast...and no, i don't know these guys, but they posted pics of their vaK in Prov on the net so here they are :lol:)

brianjon.jpg

tables.jpg

City Hall.

providence_pic_6.JPG

Convention Center.

ConCtr.jpg

The Riverwalk.

riverwalk-5-02.jpgriverwalk2000.jpg

Waterplace Park, summer evening

Skyline2-7-28-03.jpg

Sunset, Prospect Terrace

Prospect-11-02.jpg

The building with the steeple--is that Providence or Brown College?

Neither--I have been pondering what that building actually is, Dude...but Brown is up on top of the hill, and PC is across town, on the other side of the statehouse from downtown where that picture was taken.

We used to live right across the street from PC, actually.

I think it might be part of the federal district court, but i am not 100% sure.

Looking at these pictures, i get a bit nostalgic for living there. But I really don't miss the traffic.

Providence traffic is really really dumb.

choice pics CTC...here`s a pic of my hometown WAIHI from the air...and some pics of the MARTHA Gold Mine......the very large holes in the ground are the Martha Mine and the tailings dam which treats the gold with a cyanide leaching process....which used to be one of the top 10 producing goldmines in the world..it closed in 1952..but has been re-opened with the price of gold peaking as it has over the last 10 years or so.....now owned by NEWMONT MINING..and not everyone is happy about it..i live right on the outskirts of town up by the college..so i don`t feel any effects from the operation in the center of a residential area..but many around the pit rim do..... :)

post-193-1161401784_thumb.jpg

post-193-1161401824_thumb.jpg

post-193-1161401861_thumb.jpg

post-193-1161401881_thumb.jpg

post-193-1161401903_thumb.jpg

post-193-1161401918_thumb.jpg

post-193-1161401976_thumb.jpg

post-193-1161402008_thumb.jpg

post-193-1161402056_thumb.jpg

post-193-1161402073_thumb.jpg

CTC, those photos are gorgeous. i was only in RI once, i think and never saw anything like that.

MI, i wanna see the blue lights and the hookers.

kiwi...one of these days, i'm coming down there...one of these days.

thanks, WF--whenever, i'll be here. :)

kiwi..how adorable. I saw one in the pet store here in G'pt and my son wanted it soooo badly. I've been through too many pets so I said no. I'm the one that usually has to take care of them. They are really cute though and look so docile. Are you able to hold him?

I'm freakin' jealous. These pictures you all are posting are amazing. *thumbs up*

When I get a camera, I'll post some pics of the Minneapolis/St. Paul area here. You don't want to see the suburbs. :)

kiwi..how adorable. I saw one in the pet store here in G'pt and my son wanted it soooo badly. I've been through too many pets so I said no. I'm the one that usually has to take care of them. They are really cute though and look so docile. Are you able to hold him?

yep...you can hold him....he`s very friendly....my 9 year old daughter Jessie is going to take some pics of him later...

some old and some new pics of mining activity and old mining structures in and around my home town of WAIHI at the turn of the century...also some pics of the famous 1912 Waihi Miners Strike in which the British police and strikebreakers were bought in by the New Zealand Government of the day on behalf of the British Mine owners and shareholders...and union members and gold miners striking and marching for better conditions were brutally put down and one of them, J Frederick Evans..was shot and murdered..the police maintaining that one of the strikers had shot a policeman....this has caused divisions in my town that still exist today......between the families of the original striking miners and the descendants of the strikebreakers who were brought into Waihi by the owners of the original Waihi Gold Mining Company over 100 years ago...whole families who supported the striking miners and engineers were run out of the very town that i live in now......a very touchy subject indeed..... :)

post-193-1161491580_thumb.jpg

post-193-1161491590_thumb.jpg

post-193-1161491602_thumb.jpg

post-193-1161491614_thumb.jpg

post-193-1161491628_thumb.jpg

post-193-1161491640_thumb.jpg

post-193-1161491658_thumb.jpg

post-193-1161491686_thumb.jpg

post-193-1161491706_thumb.jpg

post-193-1161491754_thumb.jpg

post-193-1161491790_thumb.jpg

post-193-1161491806_thumb.jpg