666 Appears on Some 'Passion' Tickets

ROME, Ga. - Tickets at one movie theater screening Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" are being deemed decidedly unholy.

The number 666, which many Christians recognize as the "mark of the beast," is appearing on movie tickets for Gibson's film at a Georgia theater, drawing complaints from some moviegoers.

The machine that prints tickets assigned the number 666 as a prefix on all the tickets for the film, said Gary Smith, owner of the Movies at Berry Square in northwest Georgia. The 666 begins a series of numbers that are listed below the name of the movie, the date, time and price.

"It's from our computer and it's absolutely a coincidence," Smith said. "It has nothing to do with the film company or any vendor. It's completely in our computer."

In the Bible, the book of Revelation says 666 is the "number of the beast," usually interpreted as Satan or the Antichrist.

Several patrons have made comments about the numbers, and one person who was uncomfortable having 666 on her ticket asked for a pass to be substituted for a ticket.

"A lot of people have asked what the numbers mean, some said it seemed odd, some said it was inappropriate," said theater employee Erica Diaz.

The movie, which opened Wednesday, is a bloody depiction of Christ's final hours and crucifixion.

Source

I remember something on the History Channel that number of the beast is not 666 (in some accounts anyway) but 616. I can't remeber exactly the details (tried to find a link) but numbers of letters the word 'Neron Ceasar' (what they called the Emperor Nero who ones a main persecuter of Christians) adds up to 666 in Greek but 616 in Latin (being language that the Roman Cathlic Church uses).

You all know I am not religious or anything but it is kinda interesting.

It was a very powerful movie..............only, it was kind of inaccurate, from a historical point of view.

The most obvious flaws is Pontious Pilate, the Roman general.

They portrayed him as being somewhat gentle, and actually trying to make it so Jesus doensn't have to be killed.

He was out of character, when it comes to historical accounts.

Apparently, he was very ruthless, and cold-blooded. And he didn't like Jesus.

I don't practice a religion (or believe in a god), but I still enjoyed the movie.

I urge you to see it, if you haven't already.

The number thing is interesting, Wolfie. I'd love to see a link and read more if you remember where you read it.

There are varying accounts of what Roman Procurator Pontius Pilate was really like--some as you say, characterize him as ruthless, others as sympathetic. My favorite (feels true), is Mikhail Bulguakov's characterization in The Master and Margarita, which is a fantastic political satire of Russian life under Communism. In fact, this is one of my favorite books.

(The Devil comes to Moscow and turns society upside down. A Russian writer who was writing about what really happened to Jesus Christ and Pontius Pilate is thrown into jail for writing sympathetically about religion. Pontius Pilate is plagued by headaches and political pressures from Rome and the Jewish Priests, and actually likes Jesus. Truth is he'd rather spend time with his dog than deal with these folks. In the process, the Devil sets things right by throwing the modern day censors and bureaucrats in jail with the aid of a black cat who walks upright and carries a browning automatic. In the end, Satan reunites the writer with his girlfriend in a most magical way... PS This is considered by many to be greatest novel out of Russian in the Twentieth Century)

Tying all of this together, 1812 was the year that Napolean invaded Russia. Due to Napolean's noteriety and the fact that the year was completely divisible by 6, he was feared as the 'anti-man'.

Good old fashion state propaganda.

I remember something on the History Channel that number of the beast  is not 666 (in some accounts anyway) but 616. I can't remeber exactly the details (tried to find a link) but numbers of letters the word 'Neron Ceasar' (what  they called the Emperor Nero who ones a main persecuter of Christians) adds up to 666 in Greek but 616 in Latin (being language that the Roman Cathlic Church uses).

You all know I am not religious or anything but it is kinda interesting.

Here's the beastie verse from the interlinear bible complete with strongs reference numbers.... interesting that six hundred gets the reference 1812.... is that where Napoleon got the idea?? I thought Strongs references came after Napoleon. Maybe somebody just made that one up....

It does say that it's something you have to count/calculate...

No doubt it tells you who/what the beast is in the bible code.... if you only knew what to look for ....

666.jpg

My favorite (feels true),  is Mikhail Bulguakov's characterization in The Master and Margarita, which is a fantastic political satire of Russian life under Communism. In fact, this is one of my favorite books.

fuckin-A! what a surprise to see this here--that's one of my fave books as well. didja know it was banned for 70+ years?

back OT: this just killed me, made me LOL here...i'm glad the 666 is bothering the religious wingnuts, serves them right. it's only a number, morons. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

In other news...

Monty Python's 'Life of Brian' Set for Re-Release

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Coming back soon to a theater near you -- a controversial film about a Jewish guy from Nazareth who is worshiped as the Messiah and crucified by the Romans.

No, it's not Mel Gibson (news)'s "The Passion of the Christ." It's Monty Python's "Life of Brian."

Inspired by the runaway success -- and public furor -- over Gibson's portrayal of the last 12 hours in the life of Jesus, the creators behind the 1979 biblical satire about an anti-Roman activist who spends his life being mistaken for a prophet are planning a 25th anniversary re-release next month.

"Life of Brian" will open at the end of April in Los Angeles and New York before expanding to other cities across the country, Rainbow Film Company president Henry Jaglom (news), whose distribution arm is reissuing the film, said on Tuesday.

Read complete story here.

Cool deal. good job