H.S. Students Suspended for Oral Sex In Classroom

DudeAsInCool

Alleged sex act leads to suspensions

Criminal charges considered against West Port students.

Published February 14. 2004 8:30AM

BY AUSTIN L. MILLER

STAFF WRITER

OCALA - Two West Port High School students were suspended from school and could be charged criminally for allegedly having oral sex in a darkened classroom while their classmates were watching a film two weeks ago.

Police say the students, a 14-year-old boy and a 15-year-old girl, were in a group that was watching a video with the lights down low on Jan. 30. The students reportedly left the group and moved to a corner of the room, where the boy pulled down his pants and the girl began performing oral sex on him. They reportedly tried to conceal their actions with a jacket, but several students could see what was occurring.

A substitute teacher was supervising the class at the time.

Four students reported the incident to the assistant principal. After looking into the case, the school determined that the act between the students was consensual, notified their parents, and suspended them for 10 days.

School officials reported the incident several days later to a school resource officer, who began investigating on Feb. 9. The students who reported the incident told the officer that both students had done this before in class when the lights were dimmed, a report on the incident states.

"I'm appalled by this sort of behavior from any student and I think they should be expelled," said Sue Mosley, a Marion County School Board member. "Other students shouldn't have to be subjected to this kind of behavior. It's time to take a stand and stop allowing this type of behavior in our schools."

West Port High School Principal, Ken Vianello, said the school is considering sending one of the students to another school to protect them from harassment. Vianello was also trying to determine why there was a delay in reporting the incident to the school resource officer.

"I can't comment on the dates because I don't know much about it," he said, "but what I can tell you is that if there's a problem at the school, we report it to our school resource officer."

The State Attorney's Office is said to be looking into the incident, but State Attorney's officials would not comment Friday.

The students could be charged with any of a number of sex crimes, including lewd and lascivious conduct, molestation or battery.

While the school district's Student Code of Conduct does not specifically address kids having sex in school, it does state that a "sex offense" can lead to suspension or even expulsion.

Austin L. Miller covers public safety and can be reached at [email protected] or 867-4118.

http://www.starbanner.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...397/1001/news01

I think people were being tongue and cheek. But, yeah, 14 does seem a bit young...let alone that it took place in the classroom! They're not only a bit precocious....but they have no sense of propriety...I guess that comes with their age.