Bootlegs and Rarities

Umma

Are there any legalities in trading bootlegs and rarities not covered by copyright in the normal sense? If you are sharing these files only on P2P networks are there any penalties for doing so?

These recordings are always of interest (well... the decent quality ones at least) but in reading through the postings on this forum I havent yet come across any mention of them.

bootlegs and rare tracks are like regular released tracks. Some are copyrighted and some are not. There are many groups that allow their tracks to be traded on the net and a lot that don't allow it. If you want to remix a track that is copyrighted, you have to get the artist's permission.

Now, in the real world, everything is allowed to be traded and noone can do anything about it ;)

collecting bootlegs and making them available on-line .. generally is pretty safe ...because the RIAAs little spybots dont recognize the files signature, because it's not cataloged.

I love bootlegs and collect them for historical purposes.

If you want to feast your eyes on the motherlode go here

http://www.bootlegarchive.com/home.asp

I've heard of that site before. You can't dl from there. Those guys have a private hub and you need 1Gb minimum and NO mp3s. You can only share shn files. The site is good for the list only.

method is about right...but you can join them.

Several members have accomodated me with Lame3.93 hi bit-rate MP3s instead of shn.

If you have files that they want ...it make acceptance a bit easier

• 2 weeks later...

This P2P is for legal audio and video concerts.

"Remember the days when you had to "luckily meet" a taper or "friend of a taper" at a show or you had a friend who knew a friend who knew someone who lived next to someone that knew a friend who may know a taper?

In those days, "that" was the only way to find your favorite live Jamband music. In those days, multi-generational cassette recordings and half-set shows were common.

That was then... and this is Now!

The Furthur Network changes everything about sharing and trading by allowing you, me and everyone else to share their tunes with each other. It is peer-to-peer, so what you share is available to everyone else on the Network. Download music 24/7/365."

http://www.furthurnet.com/

The Furthur Network changes everything about sharing and trading by allowing you, me and everyone else to share their tunes with each other. It is peer-to-peer, so what you share is available to everyone else on the Network. Download music 24/7/365." 

I tried Further but could never get it to work...Are you (or anyone else) using it? Was there anything special you had to do to get it up and running or operating system you're using. I'm still using el crappo ME, maybe that's why...

OK so no quality is lost with shn format, but can anybody really hear the loss of quality with MP3... I dont think our hearing is that sensitive, I read somewhere that most people cant hear any difference in quality above 192kbps. Of course you can hear the difference in a crappy rip and the original source, but is shn really worth the large file size it boasts or is it just another elitist club to join to make people feel superior? If it comes to it... why not just stick to WAV? :huh:

To tell you the truth, you can't hear the difference. 192 and above (with the right codec off course) is almost perfect. You could take the almost part out if you want. Those saying that they can hear the difference are liars and quality freaks. If you look at a graph with the sound waves then you notice some differences but the ear won't catch them. Those shn files are almost wav and I don't know why they don't just leave them as wav. I repeat: the above goes only if you use the right codec and that's Lame 3.90.3 beta. Not the new ones

I have a sound enginnering degree and I know what I'm talking about :)