Yahoo Cracks Down On Sex-Chat Rooms

Yahoo Chat Room Crackdown Affects Non-Sex Rooms/Users Irate At Loss Of Chat Rooms

HOUSTON -- A crackdown on chat rooms aimed at children is being felt around the world, affecting those that have nothing to do with sex, the Local 2 Troubleshooters reported Thursday.

Read more here:

http://www.click2houston.com/news/4645857/detail.html

Yahoo got nervous and made a mistake obviously.

However, I don't wish to see anyone hanged over this. It's unfortunate, but people will just have to deal.

Local 2 seemed to have publicly uncovered something I didn't think would be possible on a service being provided by Yahoo (which says volumes about Yahoo's quality control).

Yahoo is still not commenting, saying only that it is working on improving chat rooms so that more users comply with Yahoo's terms of service

Yeah, I'd say you had a major TOS meltdown, as well as a virtual cockroach infestation problem (predators).

Get to work Yahoo.

Thank you Yahoo for the crackdown. You have helped to further the idea that what's out there is at fault. Let's not make parents actually moniter their children.

You must have both the parents and Yahoo involved.

Rooms called "9-17-Year-Olds Wantin' Sex" need to be eliminated.

A problem is there, and it cannot be ignored under the moniker that "well, parents should just monitor their children".

Not all parents monitor their children, and you can't just turn your back on kids who don't have that layer of security.

What Yahoo says they are doing now is needed.

Edited by Ken

ive been waiting too se when this would happen, it has been like this for as long as i can remeber, and this is probably where are the pedophiles hang out.

They hang out wherever they can.

According to many, their favorite spots are tucked away IRC channels, the newsgroups, and Freenet.

I guess that's part of the reason I would never use Freenet; that and it's slow. Freenet is the only of those three mediums that might force me into proxying content for them, or maybe even storing it.

Now they've decided to abandon chat rooms altogether.

I guess they didn't think it was worth it financial and image wise.

At least they aren't pretending they can fix the problem and letting it continue.

http://www.progressiveu.org/node/444

they closed the user created rooms, which is probably the best solution

Edited by bmc

they closed the user created rooms, which is probably the best solution

Correct.

I forgot to clarify.

They still have a few select Yahoo-created rooms running.

Like you said, USER created rooms are no longer in existence.