Willie Nelson Goes Reggae

willie_nelson.jpgWillie Nelson is about to release a reggae album.

The new album will feature mostly original material but also a cover of Jimmy Cliff's 'The Harder They Come' and Johnny Cash's 'I'm A Worried Man'.

Willie has been planning for album for 10 years. In 1995, he traveled to Jamaica with producer Don Was for a meeting with Island Records founder Chris Blackwell. Willie had already been working on what was to become the reggae flavoured country album 'Spirit' in 1996.

The album came back to life when after Nelson joined Lost Highway records and met producer Richard Feldman who had also worked with Toots and the Maytals. Toots Hibbert plays on the new album.

'Countryman' will be released in August.

Willie can musically do pretty much what he wants to do at this point in his career. He's established a loyal base which is large enough to make him still commercially viable. However, country music radio stations avoid older, more traditional country artists, choosing instead to play the "new wave" of slick, photogenic country stars...endlessly. Willie has next to no chance of having another big hit song unless he teams with one of those stars.

he might have a better chance if the new album was a big hit in the UK. i know a LOT of willie nelson/johnny cash fans here. i wanna hear this badly; i love reggae.

I don't think it will be reggae like Tosh and all that. It will have lots of influences by those sounds and some of that "break" reggae rhythm but I think it can work. He has the voice and the experience to do that. I'd like to hear it. Toots and the Maytals are very good

• 2 weeks later...

willie_nelson.jpgKINGSTON, Jamaica - Country music icon Willie Nelson is trying something a little different. Nelson, 72, will release a long-awaited reggae album, "Countryman" in July.

He shot video in Jamaica this month for a cover of Jimmy Cliff's reggae classic "The Harder They Come" and Johnny and June Carter Cash's country music classic "I'm a Worried Man."

"Willie started the project 10 years ago when he first came to Jamaica, but it's only been completed now," Mike Cacia, who worked on the album videos, said Thursday.

Read entire story here.

we had this already on another thread i think. i posted i wanted to hear it and someone posted they couldn't imagine it.

thank you (you satisfied my obsessive compulsiveness attention to detail) :lol:

• 1 month later...

stupid headline about walmart vaguely related to censorship w/a half-assed pun, then

No, you're not smoking something--the cover of Willie Nelson's new reggae album comes in two separate versions: regular and Wal-Mart.

The cover art of Countryman, released Tuesday, features green marijuana leaves over a red and yellow background and looks similar to a large pack of rolling papers.

However, for those looking to snap up the CD at Wal-Mart's famously rolled back prices, the cover features a palm tree in place of the offending leaves, a change made by Universal Music Group Nashville out of deference to the retailing giant's strict guidelines with regards to lyrics and packaging.

"They're covering all the bases," Nelson commented to the AP...'

from here

stupid headline about walmart vaguely related to censorship w/a half-assed pun, then
No, you're not smoking something--the cover of Willie Nelson's new reggae album comes in two separate versions: regular and Wal-Mart.

The cover art of Countryman, released Tuesday, features green marijuana leaves over a red and yellow background and looks similar to a large pack of rolling papers.

However, for those looking to snap up the CD at Wal-Mart's famously rolled back prices, the cover features a palm tree in place of the offending leaves, a change made by Universal Music Group Nashville out of deference to the retailing giant's strict guidelines with regards to lyrics and packaging.

"They're covering all the bases," Nelson commented to the AP...'

from here

for god`s sake..they just never stop do they... :nope: ..

nope, kiwi--heaven forbid an amerikan mass market wotever would promote ANYthing having to do w/weed. morons. plus, i've been using soap made w/hemp...totally banned in the states. morons ooops i said that already.

nope, kiwi--heaven forbid an amerikan mass market wotever would promote ANYthing having to do w/weed. morons. plus, i've been using soap made w/hemp...totally banned in the states. morons ooops i said that already.

are you telling me that a cosmetic made out of cannabis indica derivatives is illegal in the USA?.... :o

i`ll have to have a joint sit down and think about the idiocy of that situation slum..... :lol:

post-92-1121407978.jpg

now i'm not so sure--i just found this from 2002. but whatever, back to my pipe. :)