Agence France Sues Google Over Photo Use

Agence France Presse Sues Over Google News

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Agence France Presse has sued Google Inc. (GOOG), alleging the Web search leader includes AFP's photos, news headlines and stories on its news site without permission.

The French news service is seeking damages of at least $17.5 million and an order barring Google News from displaying AFP photographs, news headlines or story leads, according to the suit filed on Thursday in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.

...In 2002, a federal appeals court ruled that Web sites may reproduce and post "thumbnail" or down-sized versions of copyrighted photographs. But the court said displaying full-sized copies of photographs is a copyright.

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/story....0&w=RTR&coview=

for goodness sake just how far is this copyright/we own the rights to everything going to go?...i`d say that there`s more than a little global political payback going on there too....isn`t globalisation a wonderful thing..people are so friendly towards each other.......i don`t think.. <_>

In 2002, a federal appeals court ruled that Web sites may reproduce and post "thumbnail" or down-sized versions of copyrighted photographs. But the court said displaying full-sized copies of photographs is a copyright violation.

so..does that mean that we can`t really post user images in anything other than thumbnail form without the possiple threat of litigation.......

That's how I read it kiwi. I'm guessing that members can post larger photos because we can't be 100% responsible for what they post.

W........T.............F................??? :o

They have completely lost the plot! They are.......... but............ does the law even......... but.........and the traffic.......*speechless*

True, but we should be vigilant re: our postings - no one likes getting sued...

It is annoying that copyright has come to this, but I doubt it will affect BK:

1) BK is too small and there is no money here.

2) We do not systematically cache their photos, acting as a database.

3) The courts have yet to decide on this, I cannot imagine them favouring the copyright owner anyway.

4) Google had lots of warnings, we can rethink the threat if we get one.

I'm not saying to rub their face it in, but I can see no threat at this stage. The important thing with the big press companies is to not copy and paste entire articles.

ah, Malicious is the voice of reason. :)

morning all at beatking (8.45 AM here)...just come online afer a major power outage down here..... it`s been off since 5.00am this morning.....did you hear me!! i have had no internet since 5 am this morning!!!AAAARRRGGGGHHHH!!.nice one malicious intent...you`ve settled me down nicely... :o:o:lol::lol:

morning all at beatking (8.45 AM here)...just come online afer a major power outage down here..... it`s been off since 5.00am this morning.....did you hear me!! i have had no internet since 5 am this morning!!!AAAARRRGGGGHHHH!!.nice one malicious intent...you`ve settled me down nicely... :o:o:lol::lol:

puh--if i could do an enforced six weeks, you could do 15 hours or whatever. :lol: but good to see you back.