Have you been playing a long time Mr Clapton?

ericclapton.jpgBritish royal Queen Elisabeth II had no idea who Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck were when they attended a reception at her London residence Buckingham Palace yesterday.

The legendary guitarists were taken aback when the monarch asked them what their jobs where, at an event to celebrate the music industry's valuable contribution to British culture.

The Queen asked Clapton, "Have you been playing a long time?" to which he replied, "It must be 45 years now."

Clapton laughs, "It's great to meet her - and it doesn't matter at all that she did not know who were are or what we do. I wouldn't expect her to."

saw more on the news tonite..at least she spoke to clapton..she totally ignored poor old jimmy page (mind you i never thought that he was that good a guitar player anyway).......she cut him dead....what a snub...what a sour old bitch.... <_ :bigsmile:>

saw more on the news tonite..at least she spoke to clapton..she totally ignored poor old jimmy page

i once saw him passed out underneath a pinball machine at an after-hours club in NYC.

i once saw him passed out underneath a pinball machine at an after-hours club in NYC.

Did he play well while passed out under the pinball machine? How about after they dragged him out from under it? I have noticed that being under a pinball machine affects the acoustics in most venues. Was there a noticeable improvement in his playing after he came to??

We need more info. :)

sorry guys...i have to tell you that when i saw led zeppelin at western springs stadium in auckland in 1972 they weren`t that good..and pages playing was very disjointed and sloppy (unless it was the drugs i was on at the time, or it could have been the ones that he was on)..i was working as a hospital special duty orderly and we took a couple of ambulances full of patients in wheelchairs to that concert...they weren`t that impressed either.....i am not saying that the songs made famous by zeppelin aren`t brilliant, that jimmy page wasn`t a master studio technician and arranger.....he was certainly one of the young breed of guitarists at that time who did what he did well.....no one is saying that " stairway to heaven " isn`t the rock anthem of all time.....in fact my fav zeppelin abum is led zeppelin 1 and my fav track is " good times , bad times " off that album......but i have heard heaps of zeppelin live concerts, bootlegs, you name it, and i felt that, at times, pages playing (and plant`s vocal abilities) were being stretched...bear in mind that this is real live sound, not live concerts that are taken back to the studio and digitally remastered or remixed...as most zeppelin " live concert " movies are (the song remains the same is a good example of this) or video clips of which i have many in my library..the quality of these remastered live performances is streets ahead of any zeppelin concert that has been bootlegged up at the front of the stage on a vidcam or a cassette recorder......for instance i feel that jeff beck is technically a far better guitarist than page......i have seen a few guitarists live in my time......, i`ve seen frank zappa live, i`ve seen rory gallagher and robin trower live,

and they all blew page away....there was no comparison.....but i digress..this is probably the subject for another thread :bigsmile: :strumma:

WESTERN SPRINGS STADIUM, NEW ZEALAND.

25th February 1972 Western Springs Stadium,Auckland,New Zealand.(4 CD)

2 Disc's original mono recording+2 Disc's digitally remastered.

Disc 1:Immigrant Song/Heartbreaker/Black Dog/Since I've Been Loving You/Stairway To Heaven/That's The Way/Tangerine/Bron-Y-Aur-Stomp.

Disc 2:Dazed and Confused/Whole Lotta Love/Communication Breakdown.

post-92-1109889163.jpg

Edited by kiwibank

Did he play well while passed out under the pinball machine?  How about after they dragged him out from under it?  I have noticed that being under a pinball machine affects the acoustics in most venues.  Was there a noticeable improvement in his playing after he came to?? 

We need more info. :)

ha ha ha. he wasn't there to play...people kept on wandering over to see if he was alright; he was, just fucked up beyond belief...i was jealous.

ps, thank you kiwibank for posting that image, pet man's a huge led zep fan...he just saw it (we LOL about how naive it all looks now, the happy-sappy colors and font)

When she met Brian May she said "And what do you do?" May explained that he was the guy who played on the roof of Buckingham Palace at her Jubilee concert. "Oh! That was you, was it?"

:lol::lol::lol:

When she met Brian May she said "And what do you do?" May explained that he was the guy who played on the roof of Buckingham Palace at her Jubilee concert. "Oh! That was you, was it?"

:lol::lol::lol:

one nasty old piece of work..oh well..not long to go now lizzie.... <_>

• 1 year later...
for instance i feel that jeff beck is technically a far better guitarist than page......i have seen a few guitarists live in my time......, i`ve seen frank zappa live....there was no comparison.....

All true