Ex-Beatle's Wife Calls for Pet Fur Trade Ban

Malicious Intent

Ex-Beatle's Wife Calls for Pet Fur Trade Ban

Choking back tears and holding aloft a coat made from the skins of 42 Alsatian puppies, Heather Mills McCartney, wife of ex-Beatle Paul, called for a European ban on cat and dog fur imports Tuesday.

"I became aware of this (trade) only four months ago," she told a news conference in Brussels at the European Parliament.

"It was a big shock to myself and my family considering my husband and his late wife Linda were involved in animal rights ... and none of them knew about the dog and cat fur exports from China and the fact that Europe (is) importing it."

Animal rights activists estimate that 2 million cats and dogs are killed in Asia each year for their fur which is imported into Europe under false labels, saying it either fake fur or exotic Asian species, to make soft toys, blankets, coats and fur trims on hoods.

"It's barbaric that this is still going on," said Mills. "It's more disgusting that the fashion industry where a lot of people are actually aware of it buy this because they know it's cheaper than using the fox, mink and sable that is labeled."

Five European Union states -- Belgium, Denmark, France, Greece and Keep reading...

first off, i had no idea they were using dog and cat fur imports. second, i'm conflicted on this: i'm not a vegetarian (or variety of same) and wear leather but unlike the bible-beaters, totally believe that animals are not here to be used as whatever by humans. i might be mixing issues here...

So.... a Dalmation coat isn't entirely out of the question for Ms. DeVille?

I'm a bit torn on this too. I have nothing against leather either, as I'm a omnivore and I think it leads to less waste. Cats and dogs though? I don't know. I wonder if it would be clearer to me if I knew they were at least eating the meat. ;)

I feel so bad for ..........poor ....defenseless..........Heather.

You seem to be confused...the issue isn't Heather Mills McCartney or her husband. The issue is the harvesting of skins from cats and dogs. Your antipathy toward either of the McCartneys is irrelevant to the point of the article...these animals, bred to be pets, are being slaughtered for their fur. Perhaps you have nice furry foot warmers made from your spare pets, but I don't. I find it to be a heinous and greedy practice that the Asians are getting away with...one that should be banned by all civilized countries.

Here's an example that I found on the internet...it gives me the creeps to think anyone could enjoy this:

post-86-1109738911.jpg

I'm not confused at all. Foxes are raised to be killed for their fur. I don't see the difference with raising cats for the same purpose. I don't see how in the grand scheme of things you can justify one and not the other. Just because one is commonly a pet makes no difference to me. I don't eat dogs but people in other countries do. I eat cows and some other people don't. I don't think it is right to misrepresent the fur as being from another animal. Put on the label what it is and let the buyer decide.

To me it is a non-issue until they come running through my yard trying to catch my cat.

Kooperman, i totally agree w/you but (to be fair) this might be a cultural issue, something about which i know nothing apart from in some asian countries, they eat dogs/cats (so i've heard, never researched and don't wanna know really as it disgusts me cause i love animals).

different strokes for different folks...different cultural perceptions...different values...and, in some cases, economic necessity......however, i do fall into line with heather mc cartney and kooperman on this.......i have a very good relationship with my cat ripper and we have an agreement......we won`t skin and eat each other under any circumstances...there are human beings around that i would rather skin and mount as trophies..... :bigsmile:

there are human beings around that i would rather skin and mount as trophies..... :bigsmile:

:lol::lol::lol:

...there are human beings around that i would rather skin and mount as trophies..... :bigsmile:

I've tried it, Kiwi, and it really isn't practical. The hides don't hold up and most are not hairy enough to look nice. Generally the inbred people have more hair on the hide and thus provide a better quality product. For more tips....just ask. :lol:

......however, i do fall into line with heather mc cartney and kooperman on this.......i have a very good relationship with my cat ripper and we have an agreement......we won`t skin and eat each other under any circumstances...there are human beings around that i would rather skin and mount as trophies..... :bigsmile:

I have the same agreement with my dog, Taco! :D And I agree with Heather and Kooperman......

Its not like I am unsympathetic but humans domesticated animals for such reasons. Heck, my specialty is animals and zoology. However, I would rather have controlled and HUMANE harvesting rather than wiping out entire wild populations because we want to look good. Of course, there will always be people will oppose all animal products (and they are entitled to their opinions) but I don't consider it very practical. At least until we reach a level of technology that we can duplicate everything we get from animals.

As for the cat and dog issue this tends be more of a cultural thing. In western culture dogs and cats tend to companion creatures. They are not meant for food or clothes in our eyes. However our massive slaughter of cows to supply our hamburgers and steaks is equally shocking to the Hindus. If you think someone eating man's best friend is horrific, how would you react if someone ate an animal that was sacred to you?

Leather must be equally horrifying as cat fur depending where you are coming from. I don't see this lady boycotting shoes.