Red States/ Blue States

Kooperman

Can't we all just be purple...?

i fucking wish! :lol:

ha ha and hee heee (oooh, you said CLASH! yay)

Negotiators Add Abortion Clause to Spending Bill

By SHERYL GAY STOLBERG and CARL HULSE

Published: November 20, 2004

WASHINGTON, Saturday, Nov. 20 - House and Senate negotiators have tucked a potentially far-reaching anti-abortion provision into a $388 billion must-pass spending bill, complicating plans for Congress to wrap up its business and adjourn for the year.

The provision may be an early indication of the growing political muscle of social conservatives who provided crucial support for Republican candidates, includingPresident Bush, in the election. 

Disgusting. :reallymad:

In the Senate, the Democratic leader, Tom Daschle of South Dakota, who lost his re-election bid, delivered a poignant farewell speech that brought him a standing ovation.

"It's had its challenges, its triumphs, its disappointments," Mr. Daschle said of his 26-year career in Congress...But only a few Republicans showed up, and Senator Bill Frist, the majority leader, who broke with Senate tradition to campaign against Mr. Daschle in his home state, South Dakota, did not appear until after Mr. Daschle finished speaking. 

Even more disgusting. :reallymad: This right wing party doesnt even show its respects to a man who spent over a quarter of a century in Congress. They have no class - no sense of civility. And in terms of values - they have none. All they care about is money, power. I've never seen so many hypocrites. Fuck em - they dont represent the best interests of the country, they don't represent me, and they never will.

Even more disgusting. :reallymad: This right wing party doesnt even show its respects to a man who spent over a quarter of a century in Congress. They have no class - no sense of civility. And in terms of values - they have none. All they care about is money, power. I've never seen so many hypocrites. Fuck em - they dont represent the best interests of the country, they don't represent me, and they never will.

Dude! You're not crying about it are you? I know me and my buddies are at the bottom of gene pool but ........ :lol:

Dude: 'All they care about is money, power. I've never seen so many hypocrites. Fuck em - they dont represent the best interests of the country, they don't represent me, and they never will.'

thank you for saying, DAIC--i love my country but AFAIC, the christian rightwing is destroying what made the country great just by wanting to go backwards, in a puritanical way and spending shitloads of money on a needless war. FUCK THAT. and FUCK ANYONE who thinks i don't like my country--i will always be an amerikan, ALWAYS. (and i spell it in the german manner for Kafka-esque reasons cause that's what it seems like to me these past four years. in my opinion).

Americans Show Clear Concerns on Bush Agenda

By ADAM NAGOURNEY and JANET ELDER

Published: November 23, 2004

fter enduring a brutally fought election campaign, Americans are optimistic about the next four years underPresident Bush, but have reservations about central elements of the second-term agenda he presented in defeating Senator John Kerry, according to the latest New York Times/CBS News Poll.

At a time when the White House has portrayed Mr. Bush's 3.5-million-vote victory as a mandate, the poll found that Americans are at best ambivalent about Mr. Bush's plans to reshape Social Security, rewrite the tax code, cut taxes and appoint conservative judges to the bench. There is continuing disapproval of Mr. Bush's handling of the war in Iraq, with a plurality now saying it was a mistake to invade in the first place.

While Democrats, not surprisingly, were the staunchest opponents of many elements of Mr. Bush's second-term agenda, the concerns extended across party lines in some cases. Nearly two-thirds of all respondents - including 51 percent of Republicans - said it was more important to reduce deficits than to cut taxes, a central element of Mr. Bush's economic agenda.

The poll also found pervasive concern about what Americans view as the corrosive effect Hollywood and popular culture have on the nation's values and moral standards. Seventy percent said they were very or somewhat concerned that television, movies and popular music were lowering moral standards in this country.

While this sentiment was voiced by supporters of Mr. Bush and of Mr. Kerry, it appears that the concern about a decline in values is becoming another point of polarization in American politics. Mr. Bush's supporters were more likely to cite it than were Mr. Kerry's voters, and it was an issue that had particular resonance in the South and among weekly churchgoers, rural voters and women.

The poll found that 55 percent of Mr. Kerry's supporters said that Mr. Bush's supporters did not share their views and morals; 54 percent of Mr. Bush's voters said the same thing of those who voted for Mr. Kerry.

In addition, 70 percent of Mr. Kerry's supporters said they were more worried about candidates who "are too close to religion and religious leaders" than about political leaders who "don't pay enough attention" to religion, after a campaign in which Mr. Bush repeatedly spoke of God and his faith. By contrast, 52 percent of Mr. Bush's supporters said they were more worried about public officials who "don't pay enough attention to religion and religious leaders."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/23/national...artner=homepage

Scrooge's nightmare

Despite Bush's election, the cranky old conservatives' days are numbered. The future belongs to middle-aged boomers and their kids, who embrace the tolerant values of the '60s.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

By Leonard Steinhorn

Nov. 25, 2004  |  Cowed by exit polls showing that "moral values" motivated one in five American voters on Election Day, chastened journalists have begun to spin a new narrative about our national political culture: that "ordinary Americans" can be found only in socially conservative red-state pews. "Ordinary people, the people in the red states" is how conservative media critic Bernard Goldberg puts it, and many in the press seem to be saying amen.

But once again the media have it wrong. Missing in this discussion is that most Americans -- even many Bush supporters -- would recoil and rebel if the evangelical right ever got its way and began to limit the personal freedoms most of us now take for granted.

All the claims about mandates and values notwithstanding, the very fact that one-fifth of voters cited moral values means that four-fifths didn't. In fact, we heard much the same talk about the rise of conservative social values in the Reagan '80s, yet scholars who have studied attitudes in that period have found little evidence to suggest any reversal of the social liberalism that began in the '60s, particularly on issues involving family, women, morality, sexuality and overall tolerance. We must be careful not to confuse election results with cultural trends.

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2004/11/...rity/index.html