Fed Ban on Assault Weapons Ends

DudeAsInCool

Federal Ban on Assault Weapons Ends

Mon Sep 13, 5:08 PM ET

By NICOLE ZIEGLER DIZON, Associated Press Writer

CHICAGO - The decade-long U.S. ban on assault weapons expired Monday. The measure, signed by President Clinton (news - web sites), had outlawed 19 types of military-style assault weapons, banned certain features on firearms such as bayonet mounts, and limited ammunition magazines to 10 rounds.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...id=512&ncid=716

America just became a little bit safer. Right?

:angry:

Not really but it did not become more dangerous either. The ban was mostly smoke and mirrors anyway. I have legally purchased several items on the ban list in the last few years. With the ban expired, it does make the price less. I figure the value of my items dropped by about $2500 due to the ban expiring. I know many police officers from time spent at the gun range. I have not talked to a single one that supported the ban. I am sure that some police do support the ban, but I haven't met them. I only associate with the ones that shoot a lot. I rarely speak to a cop that doesn't shoot much so I don't get their input.

I have never been happier to see something of mine depreciate $2500. Today is a great day for law abiding Americans and for freedom in America. :good job:

Most cops do not support gun bans. They know the real source of where assault weapons come from. Most of the crap they pull off our streets are fully automatic guns(Which are illegal to possess in the United States). Not the semi autos that the average citizen owns.

With Me being a gun toten American I am for lifting this ban and may go get that Heckler & Koch HK94 I have had my eye on for a while. It's a good hunting gun(Redneck will know what I'm talking about). :bigsmile:

As Red pointed out yesterday, I'm from the sticks. I believe in hunting as means of staving off starvation. I imagine you guys are joking about the hunting with those guns stuff, but at the same time it gives me shivers.

I mean where I grew up, if it took more than 1 bullet you sure as hell didn't tell anyone. :D

Koop, I didn't "spin" anything. The problem is you are working on mysteries without any clues so you are going to have a hard time getting a grip. Hey, that could be a song.....maybe a Silver Bullet Night Moves thingy. :rolleyes:

MyRob, Heckler & Koch makes some fine guns 4sure. I firmly believe you get what you pay for. I don't buy cheap guns either. It is bad when your gun fails. It is very bad if you are depending on it for self defense. Do you have any guns with night vision? I have been considering putting night vision on my AR15 that doesn't have the grenade launcher. Sometimes you have to go hunting at night you know. ;)

Shawn, I didn't say you lived in the sticks. I thought that pic you posted was a rural area where your parents live. However, if you live close by them, then yes you do live in the sticks as well. Ain't it great?? Wish I still lived in the sticks. I know what you mean on the hunting thing. I love to hunt but don't get to very often since I moved to Tex. I went dove hunting last yr with a friend. I got a few more than he did but our knock down rate per shots fired was about the same and nothing to brag about. I'm just glad I don't have to worry about "small, fast, high flying" criminals or I would have a problem. :lol:

Do you have any guns with night vision?  I have been considering putting night vision on my AR15 that doesn't have the grenade launcher.  Sometimes you have to go hunting at night you know. ;)

No night vision but my Surefire LED light works well under my S&W .44 Bull barrell.

Its like having a stadium light in your hand although it kind of takes the fun out of it :lol:

:shootin: :shootin: :shootin: :shootin: :shootin:

Although i really dont see the need for these weapons, I also have to admit that be deffinition many guns could called Assault weapons. Including the old 303 british, as they were used in many assaults. I dont have any of the firearms you folks are talking about, as we are not permitted to have them here. What i do have is a very healthy belief that teaching proper firearms handling is the proper way to regulate things. Also we do have a few guns hanging around. 2- 12 gauge single shots, and a 12 gauge pump i just finished rebuilding for the betterhalf for upland game. A 20, and a 410, and to go along with them we both have old 30-30 wins for deer hunting at close range, as well as a savage 99, in 308 for the wife, a mauser rechambered to 308 win for me for field hunting, and im presently finishing off a custom build for the wife. An old 6.5 by55 sniper rifle with the sights removed to permit lower scope mounting, a hand made stock by yours truly to fit her shorter pull, a 3 pound trigger pull with the timmney trigger, and a low swing safety to clear the scope. With the 129 grain hand loads, can you say tack driver of a deer gun. i just cant help myself, as I work part time at an outfitting shop.

Hunter, if I worked there I would have a running tab and really get into trouble. :bigsmile:

Your collection is great I wish I had a few of the same. I also own a 30-06 Bolt action, 2- 12 gage Ithaca bottom ejection pumps, 7mm Mag, AR15 Sporter, Browning HP 9mm, Ruger 10/22 . Although I dont hunt anymore I still enjoy time at the range shooting silouetts and trap.

I also believe that proper education is the most important part of gun ownership.

I was taught at an early age about gun saftey and I try to teach as much of it as possible to folks who are unaware.

I beleive that the liberals here in the USA wish to do away completely with gun ownership and couldnt careless if it embarked on our rights under the second amendment. ( I know what Kerry recently said but I am speaking of the party in a whole)

I agree with Rob, Hunter, you have some nice guns. I would love to try bow hunting but none of my friends participate in that so I go with what the crowd goes with. I have a weak rt arm due to a surgery so a bow would be a problem for me. I have shot a crossbow a few times and enjoyed that. I understand that the hunting season is the same for crossbows as it is for rifles but the regular bow season is a couple weeks earlier.

I have 4 shotguns but they are all 12 gauge. (remington 1100, benelli tactical entry, double barrel and a pump. The only .308 I have is a M14. (M1A Bushmaster, Springfield, factory folding stock). I am giving consideration to buying a M1 Garand 30-06. They are an old heavy clunker but I kinda want one.

I am not familiar with the 6.5 x 55 round. Does it have a muzzle velocity equal/greater than a .308? If so, I bet it is very accurate at long distances. A .308 makes a good sniper rifle but not my M14. My AR15's are shorties as well. (both are Colt). I almost bought an H-bar from my cousin but really didn't want 3 AR's.

People that accidently shoot themselves/others are a mystery to me. The vast majority of those incidents could be avoided. The other day a guy giving safety classes shot himself in the leg demonstrating how to unload a pistol. Rule number 1: Assume the gun is loaded. 2: Never point a gun at anyone or anything you don't want destroyed. 3: Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

A lady shot and injured a kid the same way. I can't imagine someone giving safety lessons shooting himself. Why would you point a gun at your leg to unload it? Why would you point it at a kid to unload it?? I have taken wifey and son to the range several times. She is okay. The son shoots well. They both are familiar with guns and gun safety. In typical redneck fashion, I have loaded guns around the house and others in a safe. We don't have children around and don't have but a small number of people that ever come in the house. A gun in a safe is pretty much useless in an urgent situation. When we do have someone over with children, we place the guns in our bedroom and lock the door. In an affront to the redneck image y'all may have of me, there is no alcohol/intoxicated people allowed in this house. Alcohol and guns don't mix and the guns aren't leavin'. Besides, I would hate for someone to break into my house and get away because I was too drunk to hit him. :lol:

Good luck on your whitetail's, Hunter. Hunting season is kinda limited in Dallas so I probably won't get much hunting done. I guess I will just go to the range and KILL some paper, or as my cousin says, "manufacture once fired brass". :)

The 6.5-55, was used in Sweden as a long range sniper rifle due to its consistant ability to poke bullets in the same hole at long range. With the normal 149 grain load its speed is not great, but when you use a hot 129 grain handload its muzzle velocity is around 3300 fps or better, while retaining its consistancy. A compound bow is a possibility as the draw weight iis adjustable, and with what is known as let off, a 60 pound pull bow would only cause you to hold as low as 7, or 8 lbs at full draw.

Anything over 3000 fps is fast enough to make a good long range gun. I figured that light of a bullet on a 55 mm case would produce that speed.

The only compound bow I ever messed with was set up for a person that is stronger than me even without a bad arm. It was virtually impossible for me to operate it as it was and I wasn't going to ask him to adjust it. He shot it a lot, had it like he wanted it and I wasn't about to ask him to make changes. I guess I ought to buy my own and experiment with it. If I decide not to keep shooting it I can always sell it and get my money back.

If you choose to buy one, either buy it from a good pro shop, or have your friend help you choose one. The two most important things to know, are #1 the bow has to be in your exact draw length, or you wont be able to shoot it properly, and #2 dont over bow yourself, IE too high a poundage. A good way to start off is to look for used packages in an archery shop, as many people just have to have the latest cammo, although the deer just dont seem to notice if its last years cammo or not. Another thought is would you choose to shoot with fingers, or with a release? If you choose a release, then your draw length should be measured using the release you plan on using. the scott mongoose is a personal favorite of mine as it is easily adjustable for different shooters, as well as being extreemly smooth. If the arm you are using to draw the bow is your bad one, then possibly a glove type release would allow you to draw the bow more easily. If the glove is what you choose the Winn Free Flight is a good choice. Hope I helped you a bit.

Edited by The Hunter

Thanks Hunter, that is good info. I don't know squat about a bow and yes, the draw arm is the rt arm and is the bad one. If I get serious about buying one, I will check with my bow hunting buddy or you before I do anything. I have looked at them and priced them a little but not recently. I wouldn't buy one on a bet without trusted advice because as I stated above, I don't know squat about a bow. :psychofun:

Method, I have shot a variety of guns but don't claim to be an expert. I have never shot a Kalashikov so I can't debate that with you. My favorite gun that I own is the Springfield M14. :wub: What I really want for Christmas is a .50 cal. :o

Method, I think you would really enjoy hangin' out at the range with us some. You say you hate guns and hunting but you enjoy shooting the Kalasnikov. You don't have to be a hunter to enjoy shooting or even a "I'll kill you for stealing my stuff" kind of guy. At the range we set up targets in different shooting bays, shoot a course and keep score. The stages are timed, points added to your time for rules infractions, misses and so forth. It is a sport. It's kind of expensive but a lot of fun. I used to do it a lot but the family isn't interested so I don't go by myself much. I know most of the regular attendees and it is a lot of fun. We shoot mostly pistols but sometimes shoot rifles and shotguns. The multi-gun events are a real blast. We shoot from all kinds of props such as around cars (junk ones lol) and stuff.

not animals though

I understand. Lots of guys that shoot at the range do not hunt. They just come out on the weekends and target shoot. I like to hunt but there is nowhere around here where I can. I went hunting once last yr and had to drive over 200 miles to do that. Target shooting in competitions is a lot of fun.

Thats cool method, and Im against hunting animals for sport, as Im not well off, and my toys were obtained as payment for helping at the store. When I hunt its for my winter meat, for pleasure i target shoot. The only pleasure I get from hunting is doing it cleanly.