115 Miles Per Hour? You Must Be Joking

Lord_of_the_Dense

LONDON (Reuters) - A British man accused by police of driving at 115 mph in a Fiat Punto thought the accusation so ridiculous he enlisted an expert driver to help prove his new car was incapable of going that fast.

Law student Steve Lucas, who risked a large fine and losing his driving license if convicted of being so far over the 70 mph limit, said his small Fiat hatchback was just too slow to have reached such a speed, British newspapers reported Saturday.

"I was happy to put my hands up and admit that I was driving at 85 mph but the idea that my little Fiat Punto 1.2 liter could manage 115 mph was laughable," he was quoted as saying.

Read entire story here.

Police were finally forced to drop the speeding charges, although Lucas was fined $70 for driving without due care and attention.

If he didn't have an accident.......sounds like he exercised due care and attention.

If he didn't have an accident.......sounds like he exercised due care and attention.

Or he just got lucky.

There is also the possibility that nobody was around (and "due care" could still apply).

In any event, I don't see any reason for any regular driver (omitting racing and emergency vehicles, and a few other irregular non-standard road situations meaning not streets, roads, highways that everyday people travel on) to travel at 85 MPH. Control of the situation becomes more limited as well as an increased damage factor. It seems to offer no practical purpose other than a "hurry up" situation which shouldn't have come to a person having to travel at 85 MPH.

Plan ahead, do close to the speed limit (more or less) and realize you're not a NASCAR driver you fucking wannabe. Your fun is not worth traveling at 85 MPH with an exponential risk factor to others.

I can just picture this guy; hell, I’d bet one of my kidneys that guy was sitting there with a dumb ass smile on his face just speeding along at 85 MPH maybe making engine sounds while pretending he’s Mario Andretti.

I hope he chokes.

Oh, and before anyone assumes, all insults were indirectly insinuated towards the man in the article. At the beginning, it kind of seems it's directed at the redneck. Not true.

Standard Ken disclaimer applies. I'm angry, cynical, and crestfallen.

Have a nice day!

--Ken

I think he's likely to have the thing completely dismissed.

Clearly you don't understand how it works. When it comes to driving, you are guilty until proven innocent. Once proven innocent, you are guilty anyway. This story highlights that completely. They should have been on their knees begging for forgiveness, but instead they charge him with something else instead.

And Ken, 70 is only the official speed limit. Realistically you wouldn't be stopped at 80. I never see anyone slow down for police cars or speed traps unless they are over 90. The advance driving course teaches 80 on the motorway, and if the conditions allow, you are expected to do it in a test.

The Conservative Party want to put the limit up to 80. Then 85 is within your plus or minus a bit anyway. Has it suddernly become safer because the law has said so? It is safer now as modern cars can handle it. Shorter stopping distances, ABS, crash tests, better grip, etc all means that 70 is an outdated limit.

Guest .::BeatFactory::.

When I drive to Houston, it is a large highway but it's rarely busy with lots of traffic. My minimum speed is probably 70 when I'm on there and I've caught myself doing 110 before, but normally I'll stay around 80 MPH.

EDIT: btw, the speed limit is 70 with a 65 limit at night.