Opera's DC++ (oDC) v5.31

Ken

What's oDC?

oDC is an acronym for Opera's DC++ which is based on the popular Direct Connect clone "DC++".

Since DC++ is open source, you can download the source code and start modifying it. This is what I have done. To do this, you need to stick to GPL (GNU General Public License). That's why I release my modifications as well.

What's the difference between dc++ and oDC?

First of all we have to understand what oDC really is about.

I started oDC because;

1. I couldn't. I didn't know c++ (the programming language dc++ is written in).

2. I could. dc++ (and all its mods) is open source, which means; the source code is out there. Modify. Compile. Run!

3. I had nothing else to do (white lie).

You can see oDC as version of dc++ that's always (almost) "more beta". I implement new features (rarely remove any, if ever done..), which means I "implement" new bugs.

This is a reason for some people not to use it. For others it's a matter of principles, and a few thinks it's worth it, for the fact of getting more features. But oDC still is, and always will be a feature rich "nightly build" of dc++. Anyway, if you think the following sounds interresting, you might wanna try oDC.

What oDC has, and dc++ has not (everything is not presented here):

· Web links opens in new windows, instead of existing ones

· Seconds are shown in timestamps

· The sfv-check tells the result in the lowest status bar

· Auto-complete user names in main chat

· Skiplist. Files you don't want to be downloaded will be skipped

· Popup-menu for url's. Uou can either "Open", "Save as..." or "Add to Winamp playlist"

· "Go to file" in the popup menu in the search result window. Downloads the file list and "goes" to (focuses on) the file

· Notification in PM's when the user goes offline so you won't have to write messages that he/she won't see

· "Auto-search for alternatives" on both folders and multiple selected files

· User-specified textcolor (not just 16 colors, but Any color)

· User-defined colors in main chat (multicolor ie)

· Filter useless NMDC messages

· Filter in the user list. This way you can easily find users in the list

· Added icons to the window tabs, so you can easily see what that specific tab is (optional)

· Fast auto-search algorithm for the "search for alternatives" feature

· Customized colors for the progress bar in the transfer window

· Fast search for alternates for "releases"

· /lastlog feature

· Support for multi-button-mice

· Vertical tile feature to be able to tile sub-windows vertically, not only horizontally

· Option (in the View-menu) to show/hide the transfer window

· "File menu" to the transfer menu, to open incomplete files (or its folder)

· Web Shortcuts. Now you can type eg. "/g [search string]" to search google directly from chat

· File information (dimmed) in transfer window for files not beeing currently downloaded but is waiting

· Update check feature

Changes:

Changed behaviour:

[help] Changed the settings for progressbar colors

Fixed features:

[help] Fixed a miscoloring of the transfer bars

[help] Fixed some crash-issues considering the chunked transfer code (totally rewrote it actually, probably a bit faster too)

[help] Fixed some popup-menu crash issues

[help] Fixed the online/offline-bug in private message (hopefully)

Ken's Comments: This sounds pretty good; definitely deserving of a little try-out.

Source