Crapware in Ares and Warez and other questions

Ken

Ok, I’m not keen on downloading a client to find out exactly if it contains something undesirable. From all comments and such that I’ve seen regarding Warez and Ares, I’m still left with some questions...

#1 - Besides NavHelper in Ares, do Ares and Warez contain any advertising or other components, including but no limited to banner ads, adware, spyware, junkware, etc...? If so, what?

#2 - What is the difference between Ares and Warez? I've seen comments that state that Warez and Ares are developed by the same person/people. What's the overall deal with the two?

Thank all of you ahead of time for your replies. Information in the P2P world is sometimes jumbled and inconsistent.

I started this thread because of a mild interest in Ares and Warez, and to consolidate information regarding my questions.

Ares contains no other spyware or any sort of adware.

Warez has banner ads, but not spyware or other forms of ad ware.

Both clients are developed by the same guy. He was paid by the owners of warez to do a spin off with adverts. These adverts pay for advertising (hence the banner at ZP et al). I would say most users are warez users, as the release of wares signalled the start of the huge growth in the Ares network.

These adverts pay for advertising (hence the banner at ZP et al)

Do you mean to say that adverts pay for developemt?

I was a little confused by that statement...

Also, why would the majority of users be Warez users if Ares contains nothing at all (except NavHelper)? Does Warez offer something Ares doesn't, that would prompt this besides being a "jump start" to popularity? Any thoughts on that?

I guess warez had to pay the Ares developer - so advert revenue goes to him. Then some more goes towards advertising warez. So advert revenue is being spent on advertising.

I'm guessing that more people use Warez than Ares for the same reason that more used KMD than k-lite. It is because people are stupid. Or should I say uneducated? Feature wise, they are both nearly identicle. Warez tells you the number of people connected and the number of files. Ares scraped that a while back.

Although that does beg the question of why I see people on ZP talking about how they have both?

I guess warez had to pay the Ares developer - so advert revenue goes to him. Then some more goes towards advertising warez. So advert revenue is being spent on advertising.

I'm guessing that more people use Warez than Ares for the same reason that more used KMD than k-lite. It is because people are stupid. Or should I say uneducated? Feature wise, they are both nearly identicle. Warez tells you the number of people connected and the number of files. Ares scraped that a while back.

Although that does beg the question of why I see people on ZP talking about how they have both?

A couple of alarm bells ring when I read this, however.

Sharman didn't make Kazaalite; on the contrary, they eradicated it (and their own network), for the most part, through gross incompetence and greed.

Now the dev of Ares also makes Warez and gains revenue from it through the other supposed "devs" who i'm guessing don't develop anything, seeing as how they had to get the Ares dev to create Warez for them.

Is he trying to play both games here? Make an ad client with a free client, and make money from the "stupid" people, as it's been put, who end up using the ad client?

That's not Sharman "low", but it's still dirty pool, and not respectable in my opinion.

Guest .::BeatFactory::.

He made Ares. Ad-free, spyware-free, later added NavHelper with an option to uncheck a hijacker. Warez people approached him to either make a clone for them with ads or just to license the network so they could get some money. He got paid for that slight change. Filecroc has made their own version, it actually looks different but they supposedly only licensed the network code, but like all clients that use the same network, they have similarities (Grokster, Imesh, old Morpheus, Kazaa).

Well, at least I understand everything now (agree with, disagree with, indifferent to).

I suppose I don't care much, but I will be trying Ares anyway. I'll be waiting until tommorow though.

Sleep wants to kick in.