World Movie Ticket Prices Hit An All-Time High

ticket.jpgAccording to the London-based group Screen Digest, the "cost of going to the movies hit an all-time high last year as the construction boom in plush multiplex cinemas continued to push up ticket prices, according to research on Wednesday.

In its ninth annual worldwide survey on movie ticket prices,Screen Digest said average ticket prices rose in 40 of the 45 countries it tracks.

The global average ticket price in 2003 was $5.20, up 4.8 percent in local currency terms. At 1,252 yen -- $10.80 in 2003 average currency terms -Japanese ticket prices were the most dear. Rounding out the top five were Switzerland, Sweden, Norway and Denmark. Britain ranked tenth.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/040623/3/3l8nd.html

In addition to the buildup and modernization of movie theaters, the mass release schecdule of motion pictures where it opens worldwide has created a new economic structure for distribution. Movie studio/distribution splits start out at 90/10 splits (- house costs) during the first week of release, 80/20 the second, and so on, with the bulk going to the studios. Since movies dont play as long in theaters, that means theater owners have to sell alot of popcorn...hence the rise in tickets and concession goods and tickets... Recently the theaters have struck back and in some cases insist on aggregate splits in the range 0f 55/45..but they really make their money off of concessions after expenses

The rise of the multiplex was supposed to bring a diversity of films...but the studios simply bought up all the screens, and the public got into the action, by betting which film was gonna be numero uno each week. It's not a good trend as I see it..

Some theaters by me are as high as $12. For a simple date with a couple pops and a popcorn you're almost at $35. That's way too high... Certain films it will always be worth it - but I find myself more and more waiting for rentals and using p2p cuz I'm not spending $35 on a "maybe" movie... make it $20 and yeah, it's a night out and and a "maybe" movie - I'd spend that...

As entertainment goes, most theaters charge reasonable prices. But when its a date or family thing, and u include parking, etc, it's beginning to become pricey