Jackson Quits Lakers; Shaq Wants Trade

Bombardier

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. - The Zen Master is done coaching the Los Angeles Lakers (news) and his two biggest stars could be leaving, too. Phil Jackson, one of the most successful coaches in NBA history, won't return as coach of the Lakers, the team said Friday. Meanwhile, Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant took steps that could have them playing elsewhere next season.

A team source told the AP on condition of anonymity that O'Neal had requested a trade. And as expected, Bryant became an unrestricted free agent, opting out of his contract.

Jackson, who won three straight championships with the team, agreed with Lakers owner Jerry Buss to end his tenure as coach. Buss offered Jackson another position with the organization, which Jackson will decide whether to accept soon, the team said in a statement.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor..._lakers_jackson

I doubt Kobe will be seeing any sort of prison.

His fan base is huge and his accuser's story is flimsy (according to the defense team and other fan-based sources).

If Kobe wants to do something this summer, he should work on his basketball skills.

I'm no ball player myself so I have little room to talk, but based on his boast of the Lakers "winning" game 5 of the finals, it just fell through.

Statistically, Kobe didn't play too well in that game 5.

Friday, June 18, 2004

Shaq knew he'd be shown the door

By Tom Friend

ESPN the Magazine

Jerry Buss is going to break up the Lakers, or the state of Colorado is going to break 'em up. Either way, say your goodbyes.

Because the doors to the Laker house have been flung open, and the big boys are leaving.

Phil Jackson is already gone and, the truth is, Shaquille O'Neal wants to join him.

It looks like Buss, the Lakers' owner, has made his choice: Kobe stays; the others can go. In other words, he is not averse to trading Shaq and is willing to build his franchise around a narcissist who's on trial for rape, doesn't make his teammates better and is in denial over all of it.

For the complete article click here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?id=1824721

I doubt Kobe will be seeing any sort of prison.

His fan base is huge and his accuser's story is flimsy (according to the defense team and other fan-based sources).

That's too funny. Under that reasoning I'm one of the handsomest dudes in the world because my mommy thinks so. ;)

Anybody watching this draft?

Combine the draft with some of the other deals going down right now and we might not recognize some of the 'big' teams next year. L.Al, Dallas, etc.

wow thanks for reminding me - it's on now...

so I surprised that they would try to build around Kobe - and right now I still think he's innocent anyway, but the new center is going to have to VERY big shoes to fill...

I bet Jackson comes back to coach maybe one more run with another team - he just missed being the winningest coach in history including all 4 major sports right?

Edited by cjules13

Yeah, I watched this draft from the start.

Toronto made their classic bad selection. :psychofun: But my Dallas is really trying to get shite don't next year, no?

so I surprised that they would try to build around Kobe - and right now I still think he's innocent anyway, but the new center is going to have to VERY big shoes to fill...

As Jackson himself has stated many times, Shaq is the man. I wouldnt build the team around Kobe--I would keep Shaq, bring in some speed with Jason Williams, and some other players for Kobe

Aye. However Shaq will probably be a Mav next season. Malone says he will only play if he feels 100%. Kobe is looking to run. Only the glove wants to be there next year.