Google's Secret Weapon: PHDs

In this week's Technology section of the NY Times, reporter Randall Ross takes a look at Google's corporate culture, and what separate's Google from Microsoft, it's erstwhile competitor in the making.

"June 6, 2004. Hey, it's not rocket science. And it's not brain surgery. But if your background is in either, you're welcome to take a shot and apply at Google. The company's employees include a former rocket scientist and a former brain surgeon.

Mostly, Google has concentrated on recruiting those with a background in what you would expect: computer science. Founded by two near-Ph.D.'s who have purposely placed Ph.D.'s throughout the company, Google encourages all employees to act as researchers, by spending 20 percent of their time on new projects of their own choosing.

As we take our seats in the Coliseum to watch the latest challenger go up against mighty Microsoft, handicappers will see that Google has two advantages, one of which it has disclosed to the Securities and Exchange Commission: washing machines are provided at the company for employee use. The other, it has not: with a Ph.D.-centered culture, Google's co-founders, Sergey Brin and Larry Page, have assembled the industry's most unorthodox portfolio of human capital since Microsoft began intense recruiting of computer science majors at top undergraduate schools in the 1980's.

Microsoft has 56,000 employees, but its research group, with 700, is separate. Google has 1,900 employees, and no separate research group, so all 1,900, effectively, are charged to "boldly go where no one has gone before" (its words). You have to like Google's chances.

Employee motivation is tied to sundry conveniences and happy stomachs, or so it would seem. When Google filed its initial public offering plans in April, it enumerated employee benefits like those washing machines, free meals and doctor visits at company offices. It warned prospective investors to "expect us to add benefits rather than pare them down over time."

Moving in the opposite direction, Microsoft said last month that it was making some minor cuts in benefits, rankling employees, who are as aware as anyone of the $50 billion sitting in the corporate treasury.

It's no contest: Google is going to win a battle of benefits, what with its on-site gym, on-site dentist and on-site celebrity chef who previously served the Grateful Dead.

You can read more at the NYTimes.com:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/06/business...ney/06digi.html

I'm not thinking about company culture or anything else management based for at least two weeks.

The article does remind me just how much I have learnt, but more surprisingly, how much I rememeber.

But I'm not thinking now, so well done Google! Perhaps some of your academics can fix my toolbar which is letting through an increasing number of pop-ups. ;spammer:

Im getting an increasing number of spam emails that try to copy other headlines

and names (much like google does with ads on a given page) in my outlook express,

Any ideas on how to stop them?

Have you tried a filter? MailWasher is suppose to be good. It didn't save my brother though. He finally gave up when he was getting 100+ spam e-mails a day! Perhaps if you try to catch it earlier.

I'm afraid the wild west nature of the internet doesn't just bring advantages to us.

I get so much spam I don't know what to do. I sometimes delete real mail because I don't see it in with the spam. :angry: I hope the fleas of a thousand camels infest each and every spammers arm pits. :rolleyes: