POCO RELEASES "RUNNING HORSE"

desdemona

COUNTRY ROCK "LEGEND" POCO RELEASES "RUNNING HORSE",

THEIR FIRST ALL-NEW CD IN 13 YEARS by Mark Gould

Poco, the band that defined country rock in the Sixties and Seventies, resulting in million selling albums and number one hit singles over a more than three decades career, announces the release of "Running Horse," their first CD in 13 years, on Drifter's Church Productions. "Poco's biggest success came with Legend, when it was just (guitarist) Paul (Cotton) and me basically making a record together, and this new record is Paul and me together again, and that's just really special for me," said Poco co-founder, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Rusty Young. "This is a just a great, great record. Paul and I are really proud of it." "It's special for me, every day that I can play with Rusty," Cotton added,"This record stands as a strong testament to all of our years of playing together. It sounds so good; it's a real treat for us. We are extremely pleased with how it came out." Joining Young and Cotton, who have been playing together in Poco since 1970, are original drummer George Grantham and bassist/songwriter Jack Sundrud, who has played with the band on and off since 1985. The record is co-produced, with Young by noted Nashville session man Mike Clute, who has nurtured the sound behind such popular selling artists as Blackhawk and Diamond Rio. "Having someone like Mike work with us, with all the success he has had with those bands, really added to this for us," said Young."He's obviously got a great ear for what sounds good, and really helped us mold the Poco sound in the studio." Poco, which was originally known as "Pogo," grew out of the legendary Sixties band Buffalo Springfield, whose members included Richie Furay and Jim Messina, who, along with Young, who played on the final Springfield album, "Last Time Around," formed Poco in 1968. With its combined influences of both rock and country, Poco was a pioneer of its time. Along with Furay, Messina, Young and Grantham, the original lineup also included future Eagle Randy Meisner, who was later replaced by current Eagle Timothy B. Schmit. Cotton replaced Messina in 1970. Grantham and Schmit left the band in 1977, and Cotton and Young decided to continue Poco together, buffeted by a new English rhythm section, consisting of drummer Stephen Chapman and bassist Charlie Harrison. That quartet, later to include keyboardist Kim Bullard, recorded "Legend," a multi-platinum seller that included two hit singles, Young's "Crazy Love," which charted to number one for six weeks, and Cotton's "Heart of the Night," which was also a top 20 hit for the band. Poco released several other albums, augmented by well-received tours and shows throughout the 80s. In 1989, the original quintet reformed and released "Legacy," which included the hit "Call it Love," which was sung by Young. The band, with Young and Cotton still at the fore, continuing the momentum that resulted from "Legacy" going gold, touring throughout the Nineties and into the new Millennium, leading up to the recording of "Running Horse" during the past year in Nashville. The CD contains a rich tapestry of songs that will delight both old and new Poco fans. The opening track, Young's melancholy look at lost love,"One Tear at a Time," has been featured in Poco's live show for some time. His other contributions include "If Your Hear Needs a Hand;" "Forever," featuring guitar work from Bill Lloyd, formerly of Foster & Lloyd; "If You Can't Stand to Lose," co-written with former New Grass Revival lead singer John Cowan; and "That's What Love's All About," co-authored with Pure Prairie League lead singer Craig Fuller. In addition to the title track, which offers a heartfelt look at Poco's rich tradition and history, updating his earlier "Livin' in The Band," from 1976's "Indian Summer," Cotton follows with "Everytime I Hear that Train," and "I Can Only Imagine," showcasing his trademark Western imagery. Sundrud also contributes three songs, "Never Loved ... Never Hurt Like This," "Never Get Enough," co-written with Nashville songwriters Craig Bickhardt and David James," and "Shake It," an eclectic group of songs that fit comfortably into Poco's wide-ranging, musical repetoire. Throughout, Young's guitar, steel guitar, slide guitar, lap steel, banjo and mandolin combines with Cotton's stinging lead guitar, along with the rock steady rhythm section of Grantham and Sundrud, whose background harmonies showcase the trademark vocals that have been a mainstay of Poco's music throughout the years. The advance release of "Running Horse" will coincide with the launch of their "Official Web Site: www.poconut.com.

http://www.poconut.com/#

post-74-1085749009.gif

poco was a great band, songs like "two lane highway", "aimie" were big hits, great harmony, I found this link on graham nash's website, I never saw them live but I have a couple albums that were live, they sounded great to me.

Well I never really got to hear if they were good or bad.... they had to follow ACDC (with Bon Scott) ... which probably explains it.... that's a hard act to follow.

case of bad billing by the promoters

They were a country rock band...pretty good...nice vocals and guitars.... Saw them in college...performance was good, too