Thats What I like About the South - Andy Razaf

I heard this country swing song tonite on the radio by Phil Harris. The lyricist, Andy Razar, descended from Royalty in Madagascar, came to America and performed with Fats Waller and many others. Also wrote the lyrics for Aint Misbehavin and Reefer Man, amongst others.

Now if you were to imagine Country Rap, this would be it lol. Pretty hip for 1937. PS, Im pretty good on Google, but this took me an hour to find. See if you can find the music out there...Shawn would definitely like this, and probably Nate..

"That's What I Like About the South"

Let's go down to Alabamy, let's go see my dear old mammy,

Fried eggs and cookin' ham, and that's what I like about the South.

She's got baked ribs and candied yams, sugar cured Virginia ham,

Cellars full of those berry jams, and that's what I like about the South.

That's where your nerves are never shakin, where you're makin' no mistakin'

You should taste that layer cake, and that's what I like about the South.

Down where the trees grow tall, where everybody says "you all,"

You walk right in with a Southern drawl, and that's what I like about the South.

Here comes old parson with all the news, box-back shirt and button shoes,

All paid up with his union dues, and that's what I like about the South.

Tell me honey, tell me please, is this love or heart disease?

Got me shakin in my knees, and that's what I like about the South.

Pre cursor of rap ... hmmm maybe... motor mouth vocals are certainly required to avoid getting tongue tied with this up tempo tune. It kinda conjours up a scene from one of those old Fred Astaire movies where men in penguin suits flounced with chiffon lovelys around a dance floor. I think they'd have to break a sweat to keep up with this one.