Happy New Year *bubbles.... cough cough*

cjules13

Yeah ok, I joined today and haven't made one music related post yet, but I was wondering if anyone was celebrating today's holiday!?

It's 4/20 after all... where were you at 4:20pm?

Interested to see if this is just a local phenomenon or what... It had to have started in Cali, but I dunno....

Happy New Year!

*wobbles back to my Gamecube...heh heh....*

Edited by cjules13

Happy New Year. The bell struck at 4:20 here in LA and I was pouring some bubbly :Here's to you: :frog: and rolling my own...

Bubbles???? Are you aware that those things are for tobacco use only?

That's what the little piece of paper said that was inside it when I bought it.

:righteousdude:

Man, I gotta say this forum is tight. The version software is much better than average! .::BeatFactory::. set this up eh? Nice job dude.

This story appared in Wired, by Salon's technology guru, Farhad Manjoo:

High Holy Day for Potheads 

02:00 AM Apr. 20, 2002 PT

April has two days when many Americans, en masse, engage in something that's plainly illegal but is, they swear, OK to do anyway because everyone does it and it doesn't hurt a soul and it makes you feel just so very happy.

The first of these days has already passed: April 15, tax day, when millions of Americans, according to the latest research, fail to pay billions in taxes. The other day is April 20 -- Saturday -- a day when thousands, if not millions, will "mow the grass." That's a polite way of saying that these folks get baked, blitzed, paggered, blazed, obliterated, perved, shmacked ... in other words, they get high, as 4/20 is recognized by many as "national smokers day."

On message boards and community sites across the Web, it's possible to find people who are "420 friendly," meaning that they'd love to meet you and smoke your dope.

And for such people, 4/20 is the recognized day to get your smoke on. And especially at 4:20 a.m. or p.m. on 4/20, and especially while listening toPhish. This year, dozens of celebrationsare planned across the globe.

In San Francisco, the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, NORML, will finish up its two-day conference "celebrating personal freedom."

"Once again we have scheduled the conference to coincide with '4/20,' that date that has become associated in the popular culture as a special day for marijuana smokers -- sort of what 'It's Miller time' has become to beer drinkers," the group said on its site. "We hope to build on that tradition and encourage supporters from across the country to join us in San Francisco as a way to celebrate 4/20."

The event comes after a week of attention focused on NORML, which spent half a million dollars to run ads(PDF) in New York City asking Mayor Michael Bloomberg to fine and ticket -- rather than arrest -- people caught smoking marijuana in the street. The ads feature Bloomberg's response to aNew York magazine reporter's query about whether he'd ever used marijuana. The mayor said, "You bet I did. And I enjoyed it."

Given the nature of the celebration, of course, not all of the scheduled events are so political. Most, it seems, are music festivals that might have been going on anyway, but which promise to have some added pep in honor of the day.

The Web is rife with speculation regarding the origin of the term "420." An old yarn has it that 420 was a California police code cops used when they'd spotted someone getting high, and that drug users co-opted the word. Some think it has to do with Hitler's birthday, April 20th -- which is, not entirely coincidentally, also the day in 1999 that Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris killed 13 people, and themselves, at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado.

But the consensus opinion has come to rest on a theory put forth by Steven Hager, the editor of High Times, in the magazine in 1998. Hager told the story of the Waldos, a group of San Rafael High School kids who gave Hager evidence -- letters, and so on -- to show they had created the term 420.

You can read the full story here:

thttp://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,51986,00.html

High Times has a web page completed devoted to 4/20. You can read all about it, and view an ABC News special coverage on the day, here:

:read this:

WHAT IS 420.COM?

High Times stakes out its stoner space on the web at 420.com, a spinoff of our new Grow Americanewsstand title. Fully optimized for high-minded readers, 420.com compiles High Times' best information on cannabis cultivation, including the authoritative Grow Q&A Databaseand Max Yield's Grow Journal, along with a gallery of lusciousBud Shots, and fun stuff like Chef Ra's Random Munchie Generator.

What started out as an underground phenomenon -- an officially unofficial "tea time" for smoking pot -- has emerged as a lifestyle unto itself. At 420.com -- it's about that time.

http://www.420.com/420site/lounge/index.ph...7dd9ab9ac9589ac

--------------------