Just A Reminder........

Meehowski

Nice find. There are a lot of useful tests here. Go to the home page. Anyway, mine passed. All stealth. the whole grid was green. My firewall blocked a bunch of these at the time the test was run. A who is on the ip went right back to the testing site. McAfee rocks!!!!

post-59-1070747673_thumb.jpg

I never did find the right page to test the first thing.

When I clicked the supplied link, it just told me that they had frozen my page reload for my own good.

Can somebody give an apparently 1/2 blind person better directions?

Hmmm

Adaptive IDENT Stealthing Experimentation

The IDENT protocol's port 113 is quite problematical and tricky to stealth. If the user's port 113 is completely stealthed, connections to some remote Internet servers such as eMail, Internet Relay Chat (IRC), and others, may be delayed or denied altogether. For this reason, many NAT routers and personal firewalls do not attempt to stealth port 113, they settle for leaving it closed. One of the first things that caught my eye about the ZoneAlarm personal firewall was that it was clever about handling port 113: It "adaptively stealthed" the port.

To understand the following discussion, you should familiarize yourself with the details of the IDENT protocol and port 113. Please read port 113's Port Authority database page before proceeding.

Even after many years, the (free) ZoneAlarm personal firewall from Zone Labs is the only personal firewall to "adaptively" stealth port 113. Unlike any other firewall or NAT router (any of which could also do the same) this allows port 113 to be stealthed to any passing Internet scanners or probes, but "unstealthed" for any valid IDENT connection attempts originating from remote servers with which the user's computer is attempting to connect. (Since this could easily be done by any personal firewall or even NAT routers, I am hopeful that this feature might yet appear in other products.)

"Adaptive Stealthing" means that when a TCP SYN packet arrives to request a connection to your machine's port 113, ZoneAlarm checks, on the fly, to see whether your machine currently has any sort of "relationship" with the remote machine (such as a pending outgoing connection attempt). If so, the remote machine is considered to be "friendly" and its IDENT request packet is allowed to pass through ZoneAlarm's firewall. But if the IDENT originating machine is not known to ZoneAlarm as a "friendly" machine, the connection requesting packet is dropped and discarded, rendering port 113 stealth to all unknown port scanners. It's very slick.

Only one port showing closed, the rest stealth. Not bad for having no software firewall. heh

• 1 month later...