UN peace police shoot each other

Ken

THREE police officers serving with the United Nations force in Kosovo were killed yesterday when a row broke out over the war in Iraq and officers began shooting at each other.

Two of the dead, including a woman, were American; the third was Jordanian.

Several other officers were badly wounded in the shooting, at the UN compound in the city of Kosovska Mitrovica.

The lethal firefight between fellow members of the UN force was unprecedented in five years of peacekeeping in Kosovo, where police of some 30 nations make up the international force of about 3500.

Serb and international sources in the city confirmed the UN police officers shot at each other.

The gunfight is believed to have lasted for about 10 minutes. Initial reports said a dispute over Iraq led to the shootout between several Americans and one Pakistani UN police officer.

Another report said Jordanian police were involved. Four Jordanians have been arrested.

Milan Ivanovic, a doctor in the hospital in the Serb-held part of Kosovska Mitrovica, said an American woman officer died of chest and abdominal injuries caused by guns and possibly explosive devices.

UN Police Commissioner Stefan Feller said he was "saddened at this tragic incident" and promised a thorough investigation.

Kosovska Mitrovica was the scene of ethnic violence between Serbs and ethnic Albanians a month ago.

The city has long been a flashpoint for trouble between ethnic Albanians on the southern side of the Ibar River and Serbs, who live in the northern part of the city.

Source

This is disturbing. Its almost like the world is ready to come apart at the seams.

Edited by Ken

I wouldn't worry about it RN.

You have bigger guns, and more ammo!

Yes, we know that is the solution to all problems. The U.N. issues each person the same weapons and ammo I think. That makes it fair. Who wants to be fair in a gun fight?

:blink: Like the region needs more unrest.

It's unsettling. When the peacekeepers fight amongst themselves, what hope is there for peace?

The peacekeepers could use a little anger management class. It is interesting how upset ppl can get discussing politics. You express a point of view and it escalates into violence. And when religion is added to the mix it magnifies the anger. I have said too much. I probably offended someone already and they may want to kick my butt. At my age I hate an ass kickin'.

I really really really don't like saying this, but the main reason for unrest in the middle east, is religion.

Every faction and thought process, goes upon the basis of religion. The conflict is over occupied land......................that is "holy" in nature, and must be returned. Saddam Hussein justifed himself through religion (even if he didn't follow it), and all waring factions bring religion into their arguments at one point or another. Bin Laden believes he is doing the will of his god.

Isreal/Palastine? Well, they certainly aren't fighting over who gets the last pudding.

While religion can help many people, in can also hurt many people.

And the world continues to turn.........

Edited by Ken

good one ken

Almost all wars during the past 3000 years are between countries or poeple that have different beliefs.

If you look at the situation in the middleast right now and 2000 years ago then you'll see that not much has changed.

Osama always talks about religion and all of Bush's speeches end with "God bless America".