Columbine Father Challenges Cheney on Guns

Kooperman

Columbine Father Challenges Cheney on Guns

By JOE MANDAK, Associated Press Writer

PITTSBURGH - A man whose son was killed in the Columbine High School shootings literally walked in his child's shoes to the National Rifle Association convention, where he hoped Vice President Dick Cheney would address the federal assault weapons ban set to expire in September.

Tom Mauser, whose son Daniel was killed with an assault weapon in the Littleton, Colo., killings five years ago Tuesday, said continuing the ban is common sense.

Assault weapons "are the weapons of gangs, drug lords and sick people," Mauser said before his three-block march to the convention, which runs through Sunday. "It is a weapon of war and we don't want this war on our streets."

Mauser challenged Cheney to speak about extending the ban when the vice president delivered the convention's keynote address Saturday night.

However, there was no indication Saturday afternoon that Cheney would address the matter. He was expected to reaffirm President Bush's position that the Second Amendment protects individual gun ownership and tout statistics that federal prosecutions of gun-related crimes have risen significantly under Bush's presidency.

NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam called the assault weapon ban "nothing but an incremental effort to ban more firearms."

Democratic presidential hopeful John Kerry issued a statement before Cheney's address, saying "most voters don't know that (Bush and Cheney) are standing against major police organizations and breaking their promise to renew the assault weapons ban — which helps keep military-style assault weapons out of the hands of criminals and terrorists."

Mauser entered the convention hall where the NRA was meeting, but was turned away by a security guard as several conventioneers applauded. A couple of conventioneers yelled "Get a life" and "Vote for Bush."

Mauser said the NRA "is an organization with a Field and Stream magazine membership, but a Soldier of Fortune magazine leadership."

The NRA expected up to 60,000 people at the weekend-long convention, dubbed "Freedom's Steel," featuring seminars on whether to hunt in Africa, legislative agendas, methods of carrying a concealed weapon and a game-call challenge.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...nvention_cheney

Mauser said the NRA "is an organization with a Field and Stream magazine membership, but a Soldier of Fortune magazine leadership."

Im not sure what the gun laws are. But there have to be some limits as to what an individual should be able to own.. Otherwise, Wolfie will be combing the streets with machine guns on his front hood :lol:

Wolfie!!!!!!!  You know I am a buyer on your "ghetto cruiser" if you want to sell.   btw, is it equipped with night vision??  Or do I have to furnish my own??

But of course!!! No urban assault vehicle will be complete without at least a a pair of nightvision goggles (on for the driver and one for the trigger man).

I'll see how fast the guys can one put together for ya. :D

Edited by Wolfie

It sounds like it's just waiting for November now...Redneck will be driving it through Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania doing some vote persuasion.....

Nice way to put it. Voter intimidation and ballot box stuffing has such a negative sound to it. It could also be called "full auto campaigning".

What kind of boombox comes with this thing, Wolfie? I like blasting people with bad rap, britney and backstreet boys music before I blow them away.

What kind of boombox comes with this thing, Wolfie?  I like blasting people with bad rap, britney and backstreet boys music before I blow them away.

Naw, none of that crap. I like to go old school and play Wagner's Flight of the Valkyries from my Apocalypse Now soundtrack CD before I start blasting. :D

Note to self: Running low on Napalm. Need to order more.

Edited by Wolfie

note to self: Raise your bid. It seems the vehicle has a nice sound system and lots of ammo included. Vehicle previously owned by a dedicated individual and is probably in excellent condition. Guns should be in good working order and may have been cleaned recently although they have probably been fired since the last cleaning.......

I'd be more interested if Wolfie would throw in some gold-plated machine guns leftover from the House of Saddam

Sorry, no can do. I think Dubya took those to shoot skeet at the Crawford Ranch and Cheney took everything else except for Saddam's gold plated slingshot. We got that only because it had fallen behind the bed and Halburton's ppl missed it. :lol:

Edited by Wolfie

Sorry, no can do. I think Dubya took those to shoot skeet at the Crawford Ranch and Cheney took everything else except for Saddam's gold plated slingshot. We got that only because it had fallen behind the bed and Halburton's ppl missed it. :lol:

Dubya called. He said he understands that you are in possession of some of Saddam's WMD and he wants them now. You are in violation of "Exporting WMD From Iraq or Downloading Copywrited Tunes" act. Turn over the slingshot, erase your hard drive and send all your money. Make the check payable to the "Bush - Chaney Re-election Committee".

Dubya called.  He said he understands that you are in possession of some of Saddam's WMD and he wants them now.  You are in violation of "Exporting WMD From Iraq or Downloading Copywrited Tunes" act.  Turn over the slingshot, erase your hard drive and send all your money.  Make the check payable to the "Bush - Chaney Re-election Committee".

If George wants the slingshot he bid like everyone else on e-bay (the WMD section). However, Osama, Kadafi and the Hamas guys are bidding neck to neck right now so he better get on-line soon. Oh yea, no federal purchase orders are accpeted, only credit card.

PS. No American Express either.

Edited by Wolfie

A great picture from the news today

Without research I can tell that the guys with cheney are the pres of the NRA but I can't remember his name and the vice pres of the NRA Wayne LaPierre. (sp?) I noticed you added to your sig also. ;)

Dubya called back.  He says he doesn't know how to bid on ebay.  He is sending rumsfeld over.  good luck!

Oh no, not him. he'll probably come up short and will have make return trip. I'll have to wait around all day. :lol:

Edited by Wolfie

Without research I can tell that the guys with cheney are the pres of the NRA but I can't remember his name and the vice pres of the NRA Wayne LaPierre. (sp?)  I noticed you added to your sig also.  ;)

Yes I did thank you, words I got many years ago from my old man.

And you guessed it,

Vice President Dick Cheney center, accepts a rifle from National Rifle Association President Kayne Robinson, right, and NRA Vice President Wayne R. LaPierre, after concluding his keynote address to the 133rd annuanl NRA convention Saturday, April 17, 2004

Edited by MxRob