9 yr old girl busted for rabbit theft

Kooperman

Posted 4/9/2004 7:04 AM

9-year-old girl arrested on charges of stealing rabbit

NEW PORT RICHEY, Fla. (AP) — A 9-year-old girl accused of stealing a rabbit and $10 from a neighbor's home was arrested, handcuffed and questioned at a police station.

A Pasco County sheriff's deputy found the black-and-white rabbit, named Oreo, hopping around in the girl's living room, according to the arrest report. She was read her rights and taken away in the back of a patrol car.

The girl began to cry during questioning Tuesday. She admitted taking the rabbit belonging to another child, but denied taking two $5 bills and some change, according to reports.

Sheriff's spokesman Kevin Doll defended the arrest, and said if the victim of a crime wants an arrest, deputies are required to act if there is enough evidence.

Lori Ventura, the mother of the child who owns the rabbit, said the girl has been involved in other incidents and needs help.

The deputy could have taken a report and referred the charges to the state attorney, said Pasco-Pinellas Public Defender Bob Dillinger.

The girl was released to her mother from a juvenile assessment center about an hour after her arrest, which she said was scary. She also didn't like the deputy.

"He put one handcuff on me really tight," she said Thursday. In the patrol car, "He just stared at me in the mirror."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2004-0...-arrested_x.htm

lol ... that brings back a horrible memory of having my pet tortoise stolen when I was a child... *sob*

It's not really the childrens fault so much as the parents for not knowing what their children are doing... though being arrested may be scarey enough to stop further bunny snatchings...

I find it interesting that this is a case of bunny snatching at a time when bunny dumping is at a high (around Easter... I read some article about it in the paper not long ago).

Maybe the cop guy was staring in disbelief.

Let's see..the arrest took place in Jeb Bush's Florida...so my guess is that the girl is a black Democrat.....

Maybe, but maybe not.

It sounds like your trailing off into political left field, for no apparent reason.

Let's just look at the facts of the article.

9 Year old girl

Cops

Bunny

Handcuffs

:bonk