Obama Has Clinched the Democratic Nomination

DudeAsInCool

But there is a difference between laws and the government actually doing things for you.

I agree on that.

Well I'm glad we've finally found common ground. :P

:lol:

You seem to be focused on the oil issue more than anything else.

Well, energy is obviously a huge problem in this country. And I think it's wrong for the politicians(all of them)to blame the wrong people for it. I don't think we as a nation would be half as angry with things if oil were cheaper. Things snowball out of control quickly when the blame game ensues.

Well, energy is obviously a huge problem in this country. And I think it's wrong for the politicians(all of them)to blame the wrong people for it. I don't think we as a nation would be half as angry with things if oil were cheaper. Things snowball out of control quickly when the blame game ensues.

True, but a large number of people have been pushing for alternate energy sources for years. It made the front page of the ny times when some of the rockefeller family made a pick push within their oil interests to change things. Why hasnt big oil moved quicker?

Well when we've said we would pursue new alternate means of fuel OPEC said 'oh shit' and dropped prices drastically. And we got off track because things were hunky dory. Plus the market for oil wasn't as big as is it now.

Edited by riseofthevalk

After the oil crisis of the 70's, when Ronald Reagan said we would pursue new alternate means of fuel OPEC said 'oh shit' and dropped prices drastically. And we got off track because things were hunky dory.

Carter pushed for new energy sources. Every President since then has - but nothing has ever happened. The Oil lobby hasn't endorsed it and Congress is on the take. At the same time you had the Big 3 Automakers pushing SUVs during the 90s - so they've been working hand and foot with the oil companies. GM had an electric car - they killed it. The only reason you hear rumblings out of them lately is because of the spikes in gas, and the fact that consumers have changed course, and now they are losing sales. If consumers hadnt spoken up, i doubt the big 3 would have said anything.

Please explain to me if I'm missing something, but it seems to me that the powers that be like living off an oil economy and didnt want to change. They certainly have not made much of an effort to do so...

Well I'd say the fact that the market has grown in the past ten years is such a reason it's a huge problem now. Back then, there were issues but the demand wasn't as large. Now the whole thing is much more competitive. But the US alone could power itself from its natural resources for hundreds of years. Between the coal we have, the oil we could get, nuclear energy and whatever else we do - forget it. In any case, the issue is out there and I think it will be settled within the next twenty years.

Edited by riseofthevalk