Obama Has Clinched the Democratic Nomination

DudeAsInCool

ABC News reports that "Barack Obama has effectively clinched the Democratic presidential nomination, based on an Associated Press tally of convention delegates."

"The tally put Obama over the top Tuesday, ahead of the results from the day's final primaries in Montana and South Dakota. The Illinois senator becomes the first black candidate ever to lead his party into a fall campaign for the White House."

Read More

Historic night here. First black nominee for President. :)

Doesn't look like Hillary is done yet though, despite...well being done.

It's time to guess who is going to run with with the nominees.

I pick Richardson to run with Obama. Romney with MCain. Any other thoughts?

Richardson? I wouldn't have guessed him tbh. Everyone is saying Clinton's denial cost her the VP slot tonight. Heh. Not to mention her little jabs at Obama's primary victories compared to hers. As far as McCains pick, Romney is probably correct. Though Sarah Palin is a cool choice too.

Edited by riseofthevalk

Richardson? I wouldn't have guessed him tbh. Everyone is saying Clinton's denial cost her the VP slot tonight. Heh. Not to mention her little jabs at Obama's primary victories compared to hers. As far as McCains pick, Romney is probably correct. Though Sarah Palin is a cool choice too.

I wouldnt count Hillary out yet. Either she will get the VP slot or Senate Majority Leader?

Who knows what could happen with her, really. Everything is up in the air. Either way she goes the Democrats face an uphill battle to gain the support of a number of demographics.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

This Republican President and Republican congress have the lowest ratings in history. The Republicans are toast.

This Republican President and Republican congress have the lowest ratings in history. The Republicans are toast.

Yeah but once Obama's locked in then the true fear mongering can start.

I've already been hearing a while about his Muslim upbringing, but last night I heard it said that he refuses to say the pledge of allegiance. Petty little shit that adds up to try and make him look bad [no, not bad, scary]. You can expect a more and more troublesome "developments" to come out of the closet on him before the polls.

The current Congress is Democrat. And you are right, it does have a low approval rating. Which is why two states(including MA, one of the most liberal states in the Union)are suing them because they are intervening where they shouldn't. Also, You are ignoring a number of key issues:

1) Obama does not have the support of the conservative Democrats

2) Obama does not have support of female voters

Conservative Democrats actually hate him quite a lot. And the white female vote is all over the place. Either they're flocking to Johnny Boy's camp or they're sleeping in until Hillary makes a decision. Obama has to spend the next few months courting these crowds or he will not win.

Yeah but once Obama's locked in then the true fear mongering can start.

I've already been hearing a while about his Muslim upbringing, but last night I heard it said that he refuses to say the pledge of allegiance. Petty little shit that adds up to try and make him look bad [no, not bad, scary]. You can expect a more and more troublesome "developments" to come out of the closet on him before the polls.

Yeah, Im already hearing some of that nonsense...even here in liberal California.

The current Congress is Democrat. And you are right, it does have a low approval rating. Which is why two states(including MA, one of the most liberal states in the Union)are suing them because they are intervening where they shouldn't. Also, You are ignoring a number of key issues:

1) Obama does not have the support of the conservative Democrats

2) Obama does not have support of female voters

Conservative Democrats actually hate him quite a lot. And the white female vote is all over the place. Either they're flocking to Johnny Boy's camp or they're sleeping in until Hillary makes a decision. Obama has to spend the next few months courting these crowds or he will not win.

Hillary will bring them back in.

Well it all depends. Plenty of supporters from both Obama and Clinton camps have already stated that one way the Democrats could shoot themselves in the foot is to pair the two up. Not only do people on each side don't want it to happen but a lot of them will switch allegiance if it does.

Edited by riseofthevalk

Well it all depends. Plenty of supporters from both Obama and Clinton camps have already stated that one way the Democrats could shoot themselves in the foot is to pair the two up. Not only do people on each side don't want it to happen but a lot of them will switch allegiance if it does.

They may feel that way now - but they will vote their conscience when it come to vote in November.

Well until then we can only say what the numbers reflect. Which so far show the GOP's numbers higher than average and Obama's support among important demographics slipping.

Not after they see McCain speak next to Obama :lol:

Well that doesn't mean much. :P I am a pretty good speaker but that doesn't qualify me for public office.

As the pundits said, this election is about change - and with McCain, you are not getting any. So...

Well all opinions are as solid as their counterparts.

what is your biggest issue with the dems?

Well it's not like I hate all Democrats. It's just that the current policies of the Democratic Congress and policies of the Democratic nominee for President, to me, are undesirable. As we've discussed before I don't like when governments intervene in affairs of the people. And ever since the Democrats have taken over the Congress all they've done is limit what can be done. My argument is the same from our old thread on this. Change can be accomplished - if the Congress can quit meddling in our affairs. The system works, it really does. The only problem with the country in this day and age is that the elected officials are not allowing it to.

Edited by riseofthevalk

Well it's not like I hate all Democrats. It's just that the current policies of the Democratic Congress and policies of the Democratic nominee for President, to me, are undesirable. As we've discussed before I don't like when governments intervene in affairs of the people. And ever since the Democrats have taken over the Congress all they've done is limit what can be done. My argument is the same from our old thread on this. Change can be accomplished - if the Congress can quit meddling in our affairs. The system works, it really does. The only problem with the country in this day and age is that the elected officials are not allowing it to.

The Democrats have been blocked in Congress because they don't have enough votes. What policies have they enacted that intervene in the lives of the people? What policies of theirs are you worried about them enacting?

A hands off government is fine in a lot of situations. But when you have Wall Street and the Banks running hogwild and playing monopoly with our housing market, and allowing the corporations to gobble up everything in sight and send our jobs overseas, then they need regulated. I don't know about you, but it bothers me that less than 5% of the American people own 70%, and 1% own 40 % of everything - that is not a Democracy, that is a plutocracy. And that is why you need government to step in and balance things out.

They(and by they I mean Republicans too)have blocked Alaska, for example, from drilling in ANWR for oil. They cite it being an issue of the environment for why drilling can't go through. But - the area of where the drilling would occur has been deemed safe and appropriate by the people who note these things for a living. The Governor of Alaska, Sarah Palin, has brought a lawsuit against the Federal Government for this. Massachusetts is doing the same.

And believe me I agree with you totally that they need to have regulations on outsourcing. But there is a difference between laws and the government actually doing things for you.