Gossip: Queen Reunion

DudeAsInCool

For those of you interested in Queen, heres a 13 page thread on the rumored Queen reunion at MSN's 60s70sRockNRollCommunity:

http://groups.msn.com/60s70sRocknRollCommu...439393586015990

question is who could actully fill Freddie's shoes?

Nobody!!

Don't think there can be Queen without Freddie.
i don't really think queen can really be queen without freddie.
'd also heard a rumor that their primary choice was supposed to be George Michael, and possibly Paul Young, and Duran Duran's Simon LeBon;

Bah!!

Queen without Freddie no way
And without Freddie Mercury there is no Queen

And on and on it goes like this. I totally agree. When Mr. Mercury died, so did Queen!!

LOL. Now for you folks out there, Rainbow is the resident expert on all things to do with Queen. I thought this little snipped of gossip would get his blood going this am.

At the time, there music was quite progressive. Not sure how Elton John would complment their sound. I think Rainbow is right--without their front man, they could never be Queen again.

all they need is some gay guy who took alot of drugs......maybe sir john elton?!

you may have been kidding, but you're not far off. Right after Freddie died, there was a rumor that Elton John was going to take his place. But Elton would have a hard time just tyeing Freddie's shoes. He could never fill them!!

For new listeners, what would you say stood out in this album--what new musical inroads were they making at the time? Was the Yes album out yet--these bands sort of treading similar territory, werent they?

lol, blasphemy! you realize mr. jip that rainbow is a crackshot with a rifle. I'd lay how if i was you - this is sacred territory :)

For new listeners, what would you say stood out in this album--what new musical inroads were they making at the time? Was the Yes album out yet--these bands sort of treading similar territory, werent they?

I think this one was a bit before Yes. The album is pure hard rock, but with a multi-layered, textured complexity that was way ahead of it's time. side 2 is basically one long song that overlaps in a few places. And doubles back on itself a couple of times. Kind of like Pink Floyd began to do a few years later. I would rate this album as one of the best ones ever made by anybody!!

There is also something about Queen II that I never did figure out. Instead of side 1 and side 2 it has side white and side black. At the time, Freddie Mercury used black nail polish on his left hand. And Brian May used white nail polish, also on his left hand. On the white side is a song called "White Queen (As It Began)" Which was written by May. On the black side there is a song called "March Of The Black Queen" which was written by Mercury. It's not a gay thing because Freddie was the only member that was gay. The rest of them were not. The cover, as you can see, is black. But it folds open. There is a similr picture inside. It is white.

post-7-1070138033.jpg

• 2 months later...
There is also something about Queen II that I never did figure out........

Interesting.... never paid much heed to that before. Black n White.... good n evillllllll.... ? Who knows ... it's all one side on the CD :)

Queen's ability to produce anything new died with Freddie Mercury....

A Queen with anybody else would be a bit of a farse

Yup...to record again as Queen with somebody else singing would be like Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr bringing in rhythm and lead guitarists for recording sessions, then calling the finished product a new Beatles album. Sacrilege....

• 2 months later...

When Freddie passed, so did Queen. There will never be another like him.

He may be imitated but never, ever duplicated.

If by any chance the guys would take on a new vocalist i'd hope they would choose a new name for the group.

The only guy that i've ever heard even come close to Freddie is in a tribute band found here http://www.onenightofqueen.com/ .

So was the idea that they would record new stuff or just be able to go out and tour a bit and make some cash? I would bet that more than a few people might pay up to see the rest of the band. Styx had a big tour a couple of years ago minus Dennis DeYoung and the other guy who died, Chuck or John Pannoza (sp?). They where still getting decent crowds of fans. The singer sounded a lot like DD, but I knew it wasn't him and that kinda of made the ballads I liked, seem to mean less since it wasn't the guy who wrote them. But give a crowd a bit of booze and hell they where diggin it! I see at their website tonight they are actually releasing a new album for a new tour this year.

So even if the sucess of the original Queen can't be made, it can still be lucrative for the others. Brian may want to help fund more towards the Mecury Phoenix Foundation and Queen's music seems to be the best vehicle for that. As we have seen, money for residual album sales are most likely dead now so the live gig is the only way baby!