Americans more likely than Muslims to support attacks on civilians

method77

According to a recent poll done by the University of Maryland, Americans are more likely to support attacks against civilians than citizens of every other Muslim country except Nigeria. This poll challenges the popular belief that Islam is a religion of war and the United States is a nation of peace.

Percentage of population agreeing that “bombing and other attacks intentionally aimed at civilians” are “never justified:”

Pakistan: 86%

Bangladesh: 81%

Indonesia: 74%

United States: 46%

more...

Any American who considers hitting civilians is unAmerican in my opinion. That poll can kiss my ass - I have never met an American that holds that kind of point of view... I grew up with a muslim when I was a kid - how many else here can say that?

well, that poll was conducted by an american university and also, you live in an area where americans are reasonable compared to ...say... Alabama?

well, that poll was conducted by an american university and also, you live in an area where americans are reasonable compared to ...say... Alabama?

i would like to see what questions were asked... It's a big country and yes there are ignorant people who also share it - but, I'd like to know what the point of posting the article is? Is it to infer that Americans as a whole are ignorant, or prejudiced against Muslims, or that Europeans are more enlightened?

Terrorists and people who use violence as an end to their means, whether they are rulers, religious zealots, or just plain nuts are the problem - and if there is any criticism to be thrown, that's where it should be aimed

why does this make you angry dude? The same questions were asked to all countries.

Because the headline should say 'a larger percentage of Americans than..." instead of Americans - it infers that all of us hold this point of view and that is not the case

both titles are exactly the same. We all know that they mean a larger percentage of...

according to the accompanying article in the Christian Science Monitor, they numbers did not appear to differentiate between Americans and Europeans....so I guess that means according to the poll, Europeans think no different than Americans on this issue...

Do these findings mean that Americans are closet terrorist sympathizers?

Hardly. Yet, far too often, Americans and other Westerners seem willing to draw that conclusion about Muslims. Public opinion surveys in the United States and Europe show that nearly half of Westerners associate Islam with violence and Muslims with terrorists. Given the many radicals who commit violence in the name of Islam around the world, that's an understandable polling result.

Any American who considers hitting civilians is unAmerican in my opinion.

Let me name 3 minor attacks by us on civilians in World War II.

Fire bombing Tokyo. 72k killed

Hiroshima & Nagasaki. another 140k & 74k

Civilians generally catch Hell in wars. Or were you just referring to non-war general principle?

Americans = Republican hawks

and republican hawks = amerikans AFAIC. :mad: