Hip Hop Isn’t Dying, It Just Sucks

method77

The Passion of Weiss thinks that indie hip hop is quite good, as opposed to the mainstream stuff. Check out his latest postings -- Ive put up some links in the lists forum

I know zero about hip hop. I think, though, it's probably a lot like any other genre, wherein it's fan base changes. As people get older, they tend to stay with a certain time period of music that they associate with their youth, or a happier, simpler time in their life. The music they hear as they get older doesn't appeal to them as much, because either,

a)It's evolved into something they aren't accustomed to

b)They've lived life a bit more, and are a bit more jaded, or mature, or wise, or experienced and view what's being sung as immature or 'what the hell are they talking about?'

c)They can't relate to it any more, because what is being sung isn't something they've experienced, simply because times are different now.

I know for me, the most annoying thing about music today, in any genre, be it hip hop, rock, emo, country, etc., what annoys me most is 'image'. Everyone has a look, or an image, or has to drip with attitude and posing. "Dig me, I'm a musician. Take me seriously"

But you know what? When I was growing up, Ted Nugent had an image, and so did Van Halen and everyone else from the mid to late 70's into the early 80s. I dug them, because they were musicians. The only difference between those artists and the artists of today, is me. I'm not 16 any more, so instead of being cool, these new people annoy me.

Music evolves, but we just grow older. Some's musical ear evolves and finds the music entertaining, while others, like myself, tend to tune out newer music because it all sounds the same. I don't know if that comes from being older and experiencing more and more, musically, until it gets to the saturation point, or if a person's attachment to what they cut their musical teeth on is so strong they have a tough time accepting anything new, because it doesn't meet their ideal of what music should be.

I believe that's what's known as the Generation Gap.

I don't think the industry was mentioned enough. Alot of times artists are forced to put out crap that the producers or managers or labels tell them will sell. Also the industry looks for artists with the simple catchy tune instead of the artistic merit. Alot of the musicians that get picked up by the major labels just aren't very good artists. It is like the Louvre wanting some of my paintings because thay are flashy and colorful even though I don't have much artistsc talent. Like the article said, there are alot of good underground/local artists out there, but the people running the show don't seem to be able to tell art from a whole in the ground. Or they don't care, or they only care about making a buck themselves.

I don't think the industry was mentioned enough. Alot of times artists are forced to put out crap that the producers or managers or labels tell them will sell. Also the industry looks for artists with the simple catchy tune instead of the artistic merit. Alot of the musicians that get picked up by the major labels just aren't very good artists. It is like the Louvre wanting some of my paintings because thay are flashy and colorful even though I don't have much artistsc talent. Like the article said, there are alot of good underground/local artists out there, but the people running the show don't seem to be able to tell art from a whole in the ground. Or they don't care, or they only care about making a buck themselves.

that goes for all music styles.

I used to listen to rap a long time ago but now, there is no good rap around. Perhaps 1 out of 100 albums released are nice but noone can find it.

It’s all bitches and booty and bling

Aaaaaaaaaand... that sums it up.

Success is killing hip-hop. Not old guys like Rainbow. :p

Judging hip-hop by what is on the radio, is like judging rock on Nickleback or Creed.

The other problem is the distribution hierarchy that has been choking out small independent labels for the past decade. And stupid statements like when Jay-Z "retired" and said "Hip-Hop is a young man's game."

NO. Big pimpin bling bling bitches is a child's game.

There are plenty of hip-hop artists who make adult music, they just aren't showing up on MTV Cribs.