Rocker Doherty arrested on drug charges...AGAIN..

Pete Doherty, lead singer with the British rock band Babyshambles, has been released on bail after being arrested on suspicion of possessing crack cocaine, police said.

Doherty was arrested on Saturday, along with another man and woman, after police spotted him driving erratically in east London.

"They've been bailed to return to a police station in December," a police spokesman told Reuters.

In September a magistrate deferred sentencing Doherty on a string of drug offences.

Doherty, 27, who tabloid newspapers continue to link romantically with model Kate Moss, was told at Thames Magistrates Court in east London to appear again in December.

The singer had pleaded guilty on August 18 to four charges of possessing class A drugs including heroin and cocaine and one charge of possessing cannabis.

He had been arrested in April, just hours after receiving a community order for previous drug offences.

Doherty cancelled part of a British tour with his band Babyshambles in October to give himself more time to recover from his drug addiction treatment.

source:reuters

image:newsimg.bbc.co.uk/Getty Images:PETE DOHERTY on DRUG charges AGAIN...

post-193-1163984531.jpg

Somebody needs to tell this dimwit the Sly Stone life story.... :glare:

What is the Sly Stone story? I know he used to show up to concerts notoriously late...

What is the Sly Stone story? I know he used to show up to concerts notoriously late...

Here's a pretty good summary of Sly Stone and his career. It should be noted that Stone made the much-publicized appearance, mentioned in this story, at the 2006 Grammy Awards...he came onstage warily during a song, bent over a keyboard and noodled for a while, then waved once and left in mid-song. It was a disappointing and sad moment.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6012602245.html

post-25-1163998758_thumb.jpg

SLY`S STRANGE COMEBACK....

Sly showed up, and on time. That was the big news from the forty-eighth annual Grammy Awards broadcast on February 8th in Los Angeles. Perhaps rock's greatest recluse for more than two decades, Sly Stone walked onstage at the Staples Center to take his place as leader of the psychedelic soul-funk pioneers Sly and the Family Stone. The appearance was brief: a few awkward minutes. It was his first public performance in nineteen years.

Where had Sly been? No one seems to know for sure. Following a series of cocaine-related arrests in the Eighties -- including one with George Clinton while recording a Funkadelic album -- Stone vanished around 1984, after his friend and touring partner Bobby Womack got him into rehab. Rumors vary from Stone living in splendor in Beverly Hills to living in squalor in a rough L.A. neighborhood. Nobody, not even the members of his old band, can say where he's been or what he's been doing.

Starting in the mid-Seventies, Stone became known less for his groundbreaking string of albums with the Family Stone -- including the politically charged Stand! and There's a Riot Goin' On -- and more for his erratic behavior. He was frequently late for concerts, or he'd fail to turn up at all.

After his drug abuse broke up his band, Stone retreated into a world of cocaine and PCP, child-support payments, arrests and guns. The money dried up. He remained hidden from public view, living first in a series of apartments in the greater Los Angeles area, sometimes with roommates and female assistants, and then moving to a house in Southern California about fifteen years ago.

Pre-Grammy speculation centered on whether or not Stone would even show for the special tribute, which included Steven Tyler and Joe Perry of Aerosmith, among others. But there he was, at the first rehearsal, looking spectral. "Sly came in a sort of Unabomber camouflage get-up that hid his face," a witness says. "He ran through the number without playing or singing much -- or talking to the people onstage -- and then fled." Stone didn't make it to the Staples Center for dress rehearsal on the morning of the awards. "Sly couldn't get past security," says a Grammy source. "Apparently, they thought he was a homeless guy."

For the show itself, Stone returned in style. Wearing a silver overcoat, oversize shades, a belt embroidered with the word "Sly" and a blond mohawk, the singer looked like a hunchback Viking outfitted for a 1970s broadcast of Soul Train. A recent motorcycle accident had left his right hand broken and bandaged, and he was bent over at the waist as if bothered by back or neck pain.

As five of the six original Family Stone members played behind him, Stone jabbed at his keyboard and appeared to sing, though his vocals were almost inaudible. He then flashed a peace sign and walked off the stage midsong. After the show, a rumor went around that Stone was suffering from severe stage fright and had been seen vomiting. Steven Tyler says that's false: "I was the first one to say, 'I'm going to look in his eyes.' I take great pride in knowing that if I just met you, I could tell if you were on blow, pot or you just yelled at your old lady. Sly looked great. He was sharp, astute." Saxophone player Jerry Martini reports, "Sly still had that sparkle in his eye."

The performance on Grammy night marked the first time Sly and the Family Stone shared a stage since their 1993 induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Then, Sly stayed only a few seconds, before disappearing into the night.

Twenty years ago, Grammy executive producer Ken Ehrlich also put together a Fillmore anniversary show at which Sly appeared. "For the Fillmore thing," he says, "he locked himself in his room, did a couple of numbers on the show and then left. So I didn't think this time was going to be much different. For us, it was a no-lose situation. The fact that he came at all and got onstage, that's still what people are talking about."

Whatever his condition, Stone is still writing music. Guitarist Freddie Stone says his brother Sly has been playing him new tunes over the phone, some with a political edge: "Sly is a thinker. He is very much concerned about what's going on with the planet right now. Sly's been writing. He hasn't stopped." Family Stone drummer Greg Errico adds, "Sly's been calling two or three times a day lately, singing over the phone." A source close to Stone says, "He has a home recording studio and makes music all the time. Hopefully, this is the start of him wanting to share it with the world."

Though most members of the original Family Stone are eager to regroup and tour, serious questions remain about whether Stone is physically able to do so. Joe Perry remains guardedly optimistic. "Just the fact that Sly showed up that night, as busted up as he was, showed me he really wanted it to happen," he says. "I hope he got a taste of what it's like having the band behind him. Maybe that's the only thing that will get him going."

Posted Feb 24, 2006 12:31 PM

source:rolling stone/PETER WILKINSON

image:Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com:SLY STONE...A TASTE of what's to come?

post-193-1164001227_thumb.jpg

I saw him play once in my hometown when I was in high school. He and his band showed up to play after midight :) His best work was being done at that time, but you could tell these guys were real stoners

this is sooooo stupid. to paraphrase my hero William S Burroughs, instead of going after the users, they should go after the corrupt border guards &c. if there wasn't any stuff in whatever country, there'd be nothing for people to get high on.

fucking idiots.

ps, i couldn't give a shit about pete doherty, never heard his band and don't wanna. i just feel bad he's being watched so closely and all. fucking fascists.

method, i just read your rant---it's very good. but i still stand by what i say. if the shit wasn't getting in here, there'd be nothing to get high on.

maybe not the weed, especially those who grow their own (and anyway, weed is harmless). but the heroin, coke and other shit? c'mon! i'm convinced that border guards and police or whatever the fuck they are are totally corrupt---not all of them, just most.