Rush Limbaugh Attacks Michael J. Fox--Says He Faked His Condition

DudeAsInCool

Rush Limbaugh attacks Michael J. Fox: ” …he was either off the medication or he was acting. He is an actor, after all.”

Rush Limbaugh will say anything to attack anyone who challenges George Bush and his policies. This time, his target is Michael J. Fox. Meds are something Rush does have a little experience with.

Emailer Doug: Rush Limbaugh today accused Michael J. Fox, actor and Parkinson's Disease victim, of deliberately going off of his meds to appear on camera with exaggerated symptoms of his disease for dramatic effect. Fox appeared in a recent Clair McHaskill (D-MO) Senate campaign ad, touting the need for stem cell research. Limbaugh even goes so far as to accuse Fox of faking his symptoms all together.

Source: Crooks and Liars

Is it any wonder the Republicans are going down...

It gets worse - I am posting a Washington Post story on the matter in its entirety

Rush Limbaugh On the Offensive Against Ad With Michael J. Fox

By David Montgomery

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, October 25, 2006; C01

Possibly worse than making fun of someone's disability is saying that it's imaginary. That is not to mock someone's body, but to challenge a person's guts, integrity, sanity.

To Rush Limbaugh on Monday, Michael J. Fox looked like a faker. The actor, who suffers from Parkinson's disease, has done a series of political ads supporting candidates who favor stem cell research, including Maryland Democrat Ben Cardin, who is running against Republican Michael Steele for the Senate seat being vacated by Paul Sarbanes.

"He is exaggerating the effects of the disease," Limbaugh told listeners. "He's moving all around and shaking and it's purely an act. . . . This is really shameless of Michael J. Fox. Either he didn't take his medication or he's acting."

Limbaugh, whose syndicated radio program has a weekly audience of about 10 million, was reacting to Fox's appearance in another one of the spots, for Missouri Democrat Claire McCaskill, running against Republican Sen. James M. Talent.

But the Cardin ad is similar. It is hard to watch, unless, for some reason, you don't believe it. As he speaks, Fox's restless torso weaves and writhes in a private dance. His head bobs from side to side, almost leaving the video frame.

"This is the only time I've ever seen Michael J. Fox portray any of the symptoms of the disease he has," Limbaugh said. "He can barely control himself."

Later Monday, still on the air, Limbaugh would apologize, but reaction to his statements from Parkinson's experts and Fox's supporters was swift and angry.

"It's a shameless statement," John Rogers said yesterday. Rogers, Fox's political adviser, who also serves on the board of the Parkinson's Action Network, added: "It's insulting. It's appallingly sad, at best."

"Anyone who knows the disease well would regard his movement as classic severe Parkinson's disease," said Elaine Richman, a neuroscientist in Baltimore who co-wrote "Parkinson's Disease and the Family." "Any other interpretation is misinformed."

Fox was campaigning yesterday for Tammy Duckworth, a congressional candidate, outside Chicago, when he alluded to Limbaugh's remarks. "It's ironic, given some of the things that have been said in the last couple of days, that my pills are working really well right now," he said, according to a report on the CBS2 Web site.

After his apology, Limbaugh shifted his ground and renewed his attack on Fox.

"Now people are telling me they have seen Michael J. Fox in interviews and he does appear the same way in the interviews as he does in this commercial," Limbaugh said, according to a transcript on his Web site. "All right then, I stand corrected. . . . So I will bigly, hugely admit that I was wrong, and I will apologize to Michael J. Fox, if I am wrong in characterizing his behavior on this commercial as an act."

Then Limbaugh pivoted to a different critique: "Michael J. Fox is allowing his illness to be exploited and in the process is shilling for a Democratic politician."

Limbaugh's shock at Fox's appearance is a measure of the disease's devastation, advocates say. Contrary to the charge that Fox might not take his medicine to enhance his symptoms, the medicine produces some of the uncontrolled body movements.

"Stem cell research offers hope to millions of Americans with diseases like diabetes, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's," Fox says in the Cardin ad. "But George Bush and Michael Steele would put limits on the most promising stem cell research."

Fox has appeared in ABC's "Boston Legal" this season. In his scenes, taped over the summer, Fox does not shake or loll his head as he does in the Cardin commercial, but does appear to be restraining himself, appearing almost rigid at times.

A source with direct knowledge of Fox's illness who viewed the Cardin ad said Fox is not acting to exaggerate the effects of the disease. The source said Fox's scenes in "Boston Legal" had to be taped around his illness, as he worked to control the tremors associated with Parkinson's for limited periods of time.

Source: Washington Post

slum...I feel the same way... why do people still listen to him..he's so shady. :glare:

Maybe Fox should just go quietly somewhere and die rather than using his fame for selling something other than Diet Coke. :mad:

ten million nuts out there who like to feel the hate and pass it on. i hate to say this, but we need hate laws FAST to cut these assholes down, before they spread their bullshit around, more. people, in general, are fucking STUPID.

It is intersting seeing the reports on our news about this. Whether he was acting or not is totally irrelevant. The media here is questioning how american politics became so dirty that the advert could be made and then that it could all be questionned.

The conclusion seemed to be that dirty wins votes, so get ready for it in English politics, but I tihnk that it is distraction from the issues that wins votes.

It is intersting seeing the reports on our news about this. Whether he was acting or not is totally irrelevant. The media here is questioning how american politics became so dirty that the advert could be made and then that it could all be questionned.

The conclusion seemed to be that dirty wins votes, so get ready for it in English politics, but I tihnk that it is distraction from the issues that wins votes.

Michael J. Fox's commerical was made because the candidate he supports also supports stem cell research, something the Republican candidate did not. I think the statement was not only personal but powerful... why do people think it was dirty in the UK?

Michael J. Fox's commerical was made because the candidate he supports also supports stem cell research, something the Republican candidate did not. I think the statement was not only personal but powerful... why do people think it was dirty in the UK?

I too think that using a sickness for votes is dirty. Not dirtier that that Rush dude

I too think that using a sickness for votes is dirty. Not dirtier that that Rush dude

If he was phony about it, I might agree with you. However, he's entitled to express his views, whether he is sick or not - and since the issue affects him personally, I see no reason why he shouldn't.

I am not talking about Fox. I am talking about the politician who uses other people's pain to gain in politics. McCaskill might be the best person in the world but politics does not work like that. Fox or any other "ill" person should make ads that tell you in the end, "support stem cell research" not "support this guy that supports stem cell research and not the other that opposes. Not fair.

I am not talking about Fox. I am talking about the politician who uses other people's pain to gain in politics. McCaskill might be the best person in the world but politics does not work like that. Fox or any other "ill" person should make ads that tell you in the end, "support stem cell research" not "support this guy that supports stem cell research and not the other that opposes. Not fair.

Fair enough. Frankly, I support the issue and find it hard hitting.

Let me tell you an example. Our current prime minister, Mr Karamanlis, comes from a very rich family. He pays huge amounts to keep Paremvasi alive. He has been doing that for ages. Paremvasi is a place where junkies go to get treated ( drug therapeutic program). I know that for a fact cause a friend of mine was in there before Karamanlis became a politician.

When asked by a reporter on the last TV debate about that he said no. He didn't want that to mix with politics. Later when he was elected, it came to surface and he explained that he didn't want people to think that he was trying to fool people that he was nice. Mr Karamanlis is a highly respected politician and that is one of the reasons

http://www.paremvasi-kethea.gr/en/program.htm (english version)

Let me tell you an example. Our current prime minister, Mr Karamanlis, comes from a very rich family. He pays huge amounts to keep Paremvasi alive. He has been doing that for ages. Paremvasi is a place where junkies go to get treated ( drug therapeutic program). I know that for a fact cause a friend of mine was in there before Karamanlis became a politician.

When asked by a reporter on the last TV debate about that he said no. He didn't want that to mix with politics. Later when he was elected, it came to surface and he explained that he didn't want people to think that he was trying to fool people that he was nice. Mr Karamanlis is a highly respected politician and that is one of the reasons

http://www.paremvasi-kethea.gr/en/program.htm (english version)

Sounds like a classy guy. I agree that in the best of all worlds, you shouldn't have to wear political issues on your sleeve. But politics in this country has become so dirty, most of us don't really care to vote any more - but we know the consequences if we don't, so we do.

It comes down to this - the Republicans will do anything they can to stay in power including stopping people from voting, or screwing with the voting machines; and on almost any political position, if they say it's black, you can bet it's white. If you disagree with them, your weak and a communist. It's pathetic and socially, poltically and economically in the dark ages.