President of Iran challenges Bush to a live televised debate

method77

Iran's president has challenged US President George W Bush to a live TV debate on world affairs.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad accused the US and UK of abusing their "special privileges" and said a debate would let both sides air their views uncensored.

The White House called his suggestion a "diversion" from global concerns over Iran's nuclear programme.

Mr Ahmadinejad was speaking two days before a UN deadline for Iran to halt work on its nuclear programme.

He said Tehran had proposed a framework for further talks but said no-one could stop Iran having a peaceful programme.

"Peaceful nuclear energy is the right of the Iranian nation," he told a news conference.

"The Iranian nation has chosen that [course] based upon international regulations, it wants to use it and no-one can stop it."

BBC

What a meaningless show. It could never happen and even if it did both side's could claim an absolute victory because their particular sides would agree with everything they said.

• 3 months later...

Some people buy in to the philosophies of the President of Iran. He can be charasmatic, but I find him to be arrogant and just as warmongering as Bush. He is currently hosting this conference a Conference which questions whether the holocaust really happened. As a result, I will never listen to anything this guys has to say again - shame on him and shame on Iran.

does the preznit even know the meaning of 'debate'?

shit, i'd watch to see him getting his ass kicked, no matter by whom.

President Ahmadinejad at Tehran conference questioning the Holocaust:

Ahmadinejad, who has sparked international outcry by referring to the killing of 6 million Jews in World War II as a "myth" and calling for Israel to be "wiped off the map," launched another verbal attack on the Jewish state.

"Thanks to people's wishes and God's will, the trend for the existence of the Zionist regime is downwards, and this is what God has promised and what all nations want," he said. (Watch an ex-KKK leader say why he's at the conference )

"Iran is your home and is the home of all freedom seekers of the world," Ahmadinejad said. "Here you can express your views and exchange opinions in a friendly, brotherly and free atmosphere."

What a peace-loving guy :mad:

It doesn't bother me that people want to debate the Holocaust, that is all part of free speech. I'm not a so called "denier", but the fact that anyone gets shot down (and even criminalised in some countries) for questioning what happened is just begging for trouble.

What bothers me is that it is state sponsored.

It doesn't bother me that people want to debate the Holocaust, that is all part of free speech. I'm not a so called "denier", but the fact that anyone gets shot down (and even criminalised in some countries) for questioning what happened is just begging for trouble.

What bothers me is that it is state sponsored.

I'm all for free speech. What I don't like is the hypocracy of some of the people involved - they act as if they are Saints as they call for the end of a nation of people. The President of Iran is a power hungry asshole

The President of Iran is a power hungry asshole

He just says what most Iranians want to hear. Iranians -like most muslims- hate the Jewish people. I don't blame him for saying that. He is a politician.

He just says what most Iranians want to hear. Iranians -like most muslims- hate the Jewish people. I don't blame him for saying that. He is a politician.

I dont like politicians - I like honest people

It seems to me that the only long term solution is to merge Palestine/Israel into one country with a representative government of all the communities (by votes, not quotas).

Both get access to their Holy Land and no borders to fight over. Weather or not America cuts back aid, everyone should be happy as they will be funding indiscriminately of religion.

Doesn't religion teach about sharing somewhere?

From that point of view, Israel should be wiped off the map.

The problem is how to do that without a massive power struggle in the new country - and I'm not sure that President Ahmadinejad said it in quite such a peaceful way!