TW Walsh On the Devaluation of Music

DudeAsInCool

The Devaluation of Music

Here’s something I’ve been thinking a lot about the last couple days. I’m 31, so I grew up in the cassette age. Most of the music I got really excited about in adolescence was experienced on my Sony Walkman. The headphones were glued to my head when I was on the schoolbus or on this. All the albums that expressed my teenage angst came directly from little ferromagnetic particles on thin tape. Occasionally I would copy or “dub” an album from a friend, but it was time consuming(it was done in real time unless you had an expensive and coveted “high-speed” dubbing tape deck) and the copies never sounded as good as the original. Plus, you didn’t get the liner notes. I don’t know, it never occured to me that if I wanted an album that I should do anything besides taking my hard-earned-grocery-bagging money down to Caldor to buy that copy of Uplift Mofo Party Plan or Ride the Lightning. An album/cassette was a thing that I could hold in my hands, like a pair of sneakers or a comic book. But it was soooooo much more valuable. I would pay almost any amount of money to be able to listen to my favorite records. They are priceless to me. But nowadays, albums are priceless in a different way - they are free.

Read more:

Source

TW Wash wonders with all this free music, will creative people of merit will have a chance in this new marketplace... Any thoughts out there?