Bush Still Questions Whether Global Warming Is Man-Made

DudeAsInCool

In the White House, only hours after that old elm had fallen, Bush was addressed by a reporter, thus: "I know that you are not planning to see Al Gore's new movie, but do you agree with the premise that global warming is a real and significant threat to the planet?"

"I have said consistently," answered Bush, "that global warming is a serious problem. There's a debate over whether it's manmade or naturally caused. We ought to get beyond that debate and start implementing the technologies necessary … to be good stewards of the environment, become less dependent on foreign sources of oil…"

The President — as far as the extensive and repeated researches of this and many other professional journalists, as well as all scientists credible on this subject, can find — is wrong on one crucial and no doubt explosive issue. When he said — as he also did a few weeks ago — that "There's a debate over whether it's manmade or naturally caused" … well, there really is no such debate.

Source: ABC News

you know... that is true. I hate to admit it but I agree with the man this time.

The debate is politically man made. Scientists universally believe that man is creating the problem. The stats don't lie - if you follow the rise in temperture, it parallels the rise in pollutants..EXACTLY

source

I'm not the one saying that man has done nothing. Some question those graphs.

My personal opinion after reading both sides a lot of times that man is responsible but on a much smaller scale than most think.

I'm not the one saying that man has done nothing. Some question those graphs.

My personal opinion after reading both sides a lot of times that man is responsible but on a much smaller scale than most think.

Who knows? Seems to me that the debate is beside the issue - Greenland is melting - its time to do whatever we can

I know the facts but it could be natural for the ices to melt now

cycle

Check out the Gore film - he puts the cycle theory to rest and quickly

I'm also with Bush on this. Let's use technology - that is what humans do. Green parties use fear mongering and then talk about sustainable growth, but in reality do nothing more than lobby for taxes on the poor and middle classes.

Seems to me that the debate is beside the issue - Greenland is melting - its time to do whatever we can

People can barely afford to run their car to work and the government are sending little hitlers to our private homes to check our energy consumption efficiency - doing whatever we can without debating why we are doing it doesn't cut it for me.

Let's use technology - that is what humans do.

.... doing whatever we can without debating why we are doing it doesn't cut it for me.

There seems to be an inconsistency in your remarks. Debate is fine, unless we remain at a standstill - I have no problem with debate - but debate is not the same thing as denial.

Scientists are clear on the fact that humans are contributing to the global warming. People can do small things - use low energy light bulbs - use less heating and cooling energy - drive less or use public transportation more often.

I dont believe in fear mongering. But if we all did our part, then we can make progress. And this is not fearmongering - it's reality

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20..._polar_ice.html

Few realize that global warming is the successful result of a secret plan between Canada and Russia. While some of you will have to fry, our winters will become slightly milder.

Scientists are clear on the fact that humans are contributing to the global warming

that's what I'm saying. Most scientists don't come out in the open and admit that the human factor is not that big though but they know that is the truth.

eg. cow fart is a huge ozon problem and you can't blame the humans for that or you could blame them for eating and growing cows. Choose.

I just want to point out that I'm not against the invironment or anything.

read this extremely interesting article. It's short so no excuse for not reading.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../ixnewstop.html

Dr Solanki said that the brighter Sun and higher levels of "greenhouse gases", such as carbon dioxide, both contributed to the change in the Earth's temperature but it was impossible to say which had the greater impact.
Global warming has finally been explained: the Earth is getting hotter because the Sun is burning more brightly than at any time during the past 1,000 years, according to new research.

A study by Swiss and German scientists suggests that increasing radiation from the sun is responsible for recent global climate changes.

"I am sure of it and so are a growing number of scientists. But what is really worrying is that the world's politicians and policy-makers are not.

exaclty what I am trying to say

Doing whatever you can is great for those who can afford it. People can be all smug about their hybrid cars and 20 layers of loft insulation, but other people simply can't do that. Who knows - perhaps if we were not paying 96p+/litre for petrol, we could??

I can see no reason to try and make people feel bad about that until we know more. My car has a relatively clean engine, but I know that I am lucky to afford a good car - and I would never preach to someone driving an older car or riding on an old bus to do their bit. Turns out that 7 joggers produce more CO2 than my car.

Perhaps fearmongering was too strong a term - but so is saying reality. No matter if you decide to read the counter arguments or not, the debate goes on.

I have a Mercedes...so I try and make up with saving energy in other ways. All Im saying is that if people are conscious about it, they can come up with ways to help

While its true that after the "Little Ice Age" ended about 160 years ago things warmed up, it just seems highly improbable to me that dumping millions of tons of CO2 into the atmosphere every year, year after year for decades would not be having a major effect.

It is nothing short of the world's largest science experiment.