The Gas Gouge Thread

DudeAsInCool

Bush Seemingly Resigned to High Gas Prices

SAN JOSE, Calif. - As oil prices hit a record, drivers worried about $3-a-gallon gas and politicians feared the impact on elections, President Bush on Friday acknowledged the pain but seemed resigned to being able to do little about it.

"I know the folks here are suffering at the gas pump," the president said while promoting his competitiveness initiative at the Silicon Valley headquarters of Internet networking company Cisco Systems Inc. "Rising gasoline prices is like taking a — is like a tax, particularly on the working people and the small-business people."

Source

post-9-1145811656.jpg

Petrol in the UK is now about 96p/l =

US$1.70/l

or CA$1.95/l

So don't give me any sob sob stories about your tax on tax!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Canadian tax is OK, just don't suggest that a guy who is from the worst petrol taxing country in the world doesn't know what "killing" tax is, or say that he should consider himself lucky.

Dont worry Im not comparing the two countries, its just that our government appears to be taking notes from yours.

*nods*

Man... you should quit voting for Blair.

I can't vote for Blair, he isn't an MP in my constituency :P

And this is for suggesting that I ever voted for him or his party :hammer: :P

Maybe this is one of the reasons that Canada's gas prices are so high:

Shell Canada earns $447M in Q1

High fuel prices and refining margins pushed Shell Canada Ltd.'s first-quarter profit to $447 million, an increase of $30 million over the same period a year ago.

Earnings for the period ended March 31 were 53 cents a diluted share, compared with 50 cents a share a year ago, the company reported Monday.

Source: CBS News

newchart.asp.gif

George has changed his mind...

Apr 24, 11:02 PM EDT

Bush Orders Probe Into Gas Price Cheating

ABOARD AIR FORCE ONE (AP) -- President Bush is trying to calm Americans' outrage over soaring gas prices by ordering an investigation into whether the price of gasoline has been illegally manipulated, his spokesman said Monday.

During the last few days, Bush asked his Energy and Justice departments to open inquiries into possible cheating in the gasoline markets, said White House press secretary Scott McClellan. Bush planned to announce the action Tuesday during a speech in Washington.

Source

Oil, Gas Prices Drop on Bush Supply Move

Crude oil and gasoline futures fell Tuesday after President Bush gave the Environmental Protection Agency the authority to relax regional clean-fuel standards to attract more imports of gasoline to the United States and to make it easier for supplies to be moved from one state to another.

President Bush also said he would halt deposits of oil to the nation's strategic petroleum reserve until the fall, but analysts said that measure would have next to no impact on crude prices and certainly would not help make gasoline any cheaper. Even the fuel-specification waivers will have a marginal impact, analysts said, given that the main force behind today's soaring pump prices is the near-record price of crude oil.

Read more:

Source

Republicans Offer Plan on Gas Prices

WASHINGTON, April 27 — Republican senators offered a relief package today for a public dismayed by rising gasoline prices. Trying to get out front on an issue that seems certain to be a factor in this fall's elections, the senators proposed a $100 "gas-tax holiday" in the form of a rebate check for every family.

They also proposed new government investments in alternative fuels, like ethanol, and in hybrid vehicles, and they pledged to aggressively investigate whether some petroleum companies are guilty of price gouging.

Read more:

Source: NY Times

100 bucks?

We got a highe rebate from the state because of the rising cost heating this winter than that?!?

That's about two or three tanks for thw whole F**king summer!!! :mad:

Right - the greedy gas corps keep their money and the consumers get 100 buck payoffs :mad:

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Billy Frist got shut out on this one - so sorry folks, no hundred dollar rebates for you :sleep: k However, our friends at Lifehacker have posted a much necessary article on how to save money at the gas pump:

Lifehacker

Test #1 Aggressive Driving vs. Moderate Driving

Result: Major savings potential

The Cold Hard Facts: Up to 37 percent savings, average savings of 31 percent

Recommendation: Stop driving like a maniac.

Aggressive vs. Moderate Driving: read the entire test

Test #2 Lower Speeds Saves Gas

Result: Substantial savings on a long trip

Cold Hard Facts: Up to 14 percent savings, average savings of 12 percent

Recommendation: Drive the speed limit.

Lower Speeds Saves Gas: Read the entire test

Test #3 Use Cruise Control

Result: Surprisingly effective way to save gas

Cold Hard Facts: Up to 14-percent savings, average savings of 7 percent

Recommendation: If you've got it, use it.

Cruise Control: Read the entire test

Test #4 A/C On, Windows Up vs. A/C Off, Windows Down

Result: Nice in theory; not true in practice

Cold Hard Facts: No measurable difference (unless you open the sunroof, too!)

Recommendation: Please, make yourself comfortable.

Air Conditioner: Read the entire test

Test #5 Check Your Tire Pressure

Result: Important for safety and to reduce tire wear

Cold Hard Facts: No measurable effect on the vehicles we tested

Recommendation: Check your tire pressure often but don't expect a big savings.

Tire pressure: Read the entire test

Test #6 Avoid Excessive Idling

Result: More important than we assumed

Cold Hard Facts: Avoiding excessive idling can save up to 19 percent

Recommendation: Stopping longer than a minute? Shut 'er down.

Excessive idling: Read the entire test

You can read the full article at

Edmunds.com

those advices make me even angrier...

I want to drive like I always do. You can stick the advices up your asses. Then take them out and stick them back in.

not you dude

I checked my vehicle for several tanks of gas and found very little difference between easy driving, slow speeds and quick acceleration and 80 plus miles per hour on the freeway. The difference was barely measurable.

If I am going to spend $400 bucks a month to get where I'm going......I don't mind spending $410 to enjoy the drive....and make everyone else miserable. :lol: