Bush ‘troubled’ by gay marriages

Shawn

President Bush on Wednesday said he was “troubled” by San Francisco’s same-sex wedding spree, but he declined to say whether he was prepared to back a constitutional ban on such vows. Meanwhile, the mayor said the city would keep issuing marriage licenses to gay couples, even as conservative groups pressed their case in a higher court.

In response to a question during a White House appearance about the issuance of marriage licenses to gay couples in the city, Bush said, “I have watched carefully what’s happening in San Francisco, where licenses were being issued, even though the law states otherwise. I have consistently stated that I’ll support law to protect marriage between a man and a woman. Obviously these events are influencing my decision.”

“I am watching very carefully, but I am troubled by what I’ve seen,” he added.

He didn’t answer directly when asked whether he is any closer to endorsing a constitutional ban on same-sex marriages. However, he spoke privately with conservative Catholics about the issue, and a conservative activist who favors such a ban suggested the president would soon announce his support.

Criticism of ‘activist judges’

“I strongly believe marriage should be defined as between a man and a woman,” Bush said during an Oval Office session with Tunisian President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali. “I am troubled by activist judges who are defining marriage.”

“People need to be involved in this decision,” Bush said. “Marriage ought to be defined by the people, not by the courts.”

Bush apparently referred to a recent decision by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court that it is unconstitutional to bar gay couples from marriage. Under the decision, the nation’s first legally sanctioned gay marriages are scheduled to begin in mid-May.

One group took issue with Bush's insistence that "people," not the courts, need to resolve the issue.

"In San Francisco, the democratically elected mayor took this action just weeks after hundreds of thousands of people voted for him," said Jon Davidson, senior counsel of Lambda Legal, a gay and lesbian legal group.

"It's the right-wing groups that have taken this into courts seeking to define marriage in a way that would exclude same-sex couples, in violation of California's Constitution," Davidson said.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan said Bush recognized that gay marriage is a divisive topic. But, he said, "this is an issue where he believes it is important for people to stand up on principle."

Source - MSNBC

Marriage has always been a legal contract that was largely for the benefit of children produced within that relationship. The family unit has been demoted over the past century to such an extent that a normal family unit is now something almost totally abnormal.

Homosexual people (I resent them hijacking the word 'gay' .... it had better use in the language before the arrival of the homosexual movement) have no need to steal what little normality is left to traditional families. I see no reason why they cant quietly make a lifelong commitment to each other without the song and dance.

i think the issue of marriage also has to do with economics--marriage couples get more benefits

Economics has everything to do with it.

What happened to the old rules of choice and consequence? You make a choice you live with the consequences. While there have been things in the law that need to improve, I cant see how this is one of them. If people choose to be homosexual they are rejecting traditional values... so now they want the values system turned on it's head to suit their choice. What about the 'rights' of the rest of society who view marriage as a contract between heterosexual people?

I dont think people choose their sexuality--they are born predisposed to it. Also, since I am not in their shoes, itsnt for me to decide what other's rights should or shouldn't be. I believe people should all be treated equally. Who am I to judge that a gay/homsexual;s person's love life should not be equal to heterosexual's.

rejecting traditional values

I wonder about that phrase.

There has been a lot of ink spilled on ancient Greece, suggesting both Athens & Sparta had institutionalized homosexuality as a part of the maturing process. It wasn't considered deviant at all.

Athens did Sparta didn't

to explain it a bit more, Athenians considered homosexuals normal and Spartans didn't give them all the freedoms that "the rest" had. They were second class citizens but considering that the rest of the world killed them then yes, it wasn't considered deviant at all

Hmm.

I say Sparta did for the fact that from a young age the boys would be sent to training. They would be quartered with all men until they achieved full citizenship at around age 30. The likelihood of the boys not developing homosexual relationships would be pretty low.

Although they could marry when they became full citizens, the wedding night rituals also suggest homosexual history. Sources claim that the women would have their heads shaved to equate with the men's, and that the actual dirty deed would be performed in absolute darkness. Some have theorized that this suggests the girls were being made 'more manly' to make their new husbands more comfortable.

that's the first time I hear that and I'll have to read my notes again to find out.

One thing I know is that ancient Greeks and Romans were more open to homosexuality and those roman orgies and greek mythology stories show that pretty clear.

Who am I to judge that a gay/homsexual;s person's love life should not be equal to heterosexual's.

The issue here isn't about judging anyone... it's about how a society needs to have standards. It's pretty much the same thing as the post about the Patty woman having a breakdown with something so simple as trying to organise an office party... these days everybody wants their rights... or they throw a tantrum

I agree with you on that. if eveything is specialized and fractinalized, and we dont come together as community, then i have similar concerns.